Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Lose 14lbs in 14 weeks – best way?
  • miketually
    Free Member

That (Guardian and Telegraph links) is an observational study, so shows correlation rather than causation. Also, doesn’t distinguish between protein sources.

I can lower the percentage of calories I get from protein by eating loads of Mars bars 🙂

geoffj

That (Guardian and Telegraph links) is an observational study, so shows correlation rather than causation. Also, doesn’t distinguish between protein sources.

Best to just ignore it then.

miketually
    Free Member

Best to just ignore it then.

Or, treat it to a single study which contributes something to our understanding of diet but doesn’t give us one clear, simple answer.

Basically, the opposite to the way newspapers report any results of scientific studies. Just compare the headline with what’s actually said in the article.

geoffj

Or, treat it to a single study which contributes something to our understanding of diet but doesn’t give us one clear, simple answer.

Indeed

weeble
    Free Member

Ditch the booze, refined sugar, processed foods and starchy carbs such as bread, pasta and potato’s, use things like sweet potatoes and wholegrain rice. Reduce your portion size and make sure your eating good quality protein. Drink 2 litres of water a day.

As a starting point try a juice detox diet, I’m doing a 7 day one at the minute and have lost a significant amount of weight, I’ll be switching back to a ‘normal’ diet after the 7 days are up.

You also need to make sure your exercising but also include some weight bearing exercise things like bootcamp or circuits are great if your not a gym lover like me

miketually
    Free Member

As a starting point try a juice detox diet

What toxins are you removing? Has your liver stopped functioning for a while?

weeble
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden (or raced) for two years due to having two kids. During that time I’ve eaten junk and drunk loads. This has left me bloated, sluggish and feeling like crap.

Decided to do the Juice detox just to try ‘reset’ myself and reduce the bloat etc.

So far its working for me, I feel significantly better and gives me a good base to build from.

Maybe not for everyone but its helped me break a poor diet cycle

allmountainventure
    Free Member

The best “diet”, and the one humans most likely evolved (from Frugivore) is a Faunivore. Fruits, nuts, vegetables and eggs (possibly eggs daily and main source of animal protein). Also some grains, honey, fish, shoreline creatures like mussels, birds.

We also have an aerobic and anaerobic energy system that requires regular revving up. I.e at least daily. Depending on activity you can eat more or less food.

IMO

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Vary your training a bit, not necessarily more but different, running, footie, swimming, weights, intensity stuff, whatever

TheGhost
    Free Member

Man up!

chrispo
    Free Member

Given your already high level of activity, the question is whether you have any fat to lose?

If not you’d have to shed some unwanted muscle, which I have previously managed to do quite successfully by not fuelling properly during long hard rides…

Either way, ignore fad diets, just eat better/less and ride longer/harder.

Chances are you’re not consuming as few calories as you think (says nutrition expert wife).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Either way, ignore fad diets, just eat better/less and ride longer/harder.

Chances are you’re not consuming as few calories as you think (says nutrition expert wife).
    this +100

miketually
    Free Member
    jameso

No-ones mentioned fasted riding.
    When you say

While riding I fuel on Jelly Babies and SIS Go or water

for shorter rides, that says you may not have the fuel/fat burning efficiency that you could have? Do you need those sugary things for a shorter (sub 4-5hrs) ride? 10-12hrs a week of what you describe will mean you’re already fit and not carrying much excess weight?
    Getting out for an hour or 2 at a middling to brisk pace on nothing but a black coffee w/o sugar then eating when you get back can shift weight pretty well ime. 1-3x a week if it can fit in.
    That and maybe a longer ride 1x a week most weeks may increase your ability to burn fat and be less reliant on Jelly Babies etc, it could make a difference over a 12-24hr ride also (I’ve not raced 12-24s but have done plenty of my own riding over that duration and this is what helped me get there from my past habits of eating all the time when riding and being bonk-prone. A friend who does 24s has used the fasted rides to get more efficient over the last few years also).

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lose 14lbs in 14 weeks – best way?’ is closed to new replies.