Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • Lose 10kg of lard before Spring.
  • torsoinalake
    Free Member

im a bit fond of toast which probably isn’t going to change.

You should rethink this if you are serious about ditching the lard.

hora
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Try the 5/2 thing then, I’ve seen it work for a couple of people.

Wouldn’t be right for me though.

hooli

wanmankylung – Member
    I lost about 20kg last year simply by eating less and moving more. It wasn’t difficult.

If it is so simple, how did you get 20kg overweight in the first place or why did you not lose the weight sooner?

+1 for MFP, it is a bit of a guide for home cooked meals but better than nothing and my experience is it isn’t the home cooked meals that are the problem, its all the other stuff.

teasel
    Free Member

If it is so simple, how did you get 20kg overweight in the first place or why did you not lose the weight sooner?

I appreciate the question wasn’t aimed at me but I did something very similar last year.

Why was I fat in the first place? Injury for the reduction of movement and stress eating alongside a curiosity for various shit food (homemade baked cheesecakes and the like) to push up the calorie intake.

I switched to eating Marmite and cheese sarnies of an evening and a small snack around midday if felt peckish. I also had a cheeky sugar fix by way of a small handful of bite-sized cakes in the evenings.

I ride daily, do a short workout daily and now the weight’s off I can afford to eat the odd chocolate fondant and more enticing meals in the evening. I eat sugar, bread and cheese and the weight is still falling away. The jeans I previously wore are big (36″) compared to the 30″ waist version I now slip into. It worked for me and has done in the past, too, but that’s not to say it would work for everyone.

The hardest part is the uncomfortable feeling of shrinking your stomach and facing the ‘hunger’ voices like a size zero model.

njee20
    Free Member

The hardest part is the uncomfortable feeling of shrinking your stomach and facing the ‘hunger’ voices like a size zero model.

**imagines Teasel daubing “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” on his walls**

wanmankylung – Member
    I lost about 20kg last year simply by eating less and moving more. It wasn’t difficult.

If it is so simple, how did you get 20kg overweight in the first place or why did you not lose the weight sooner?[/quote]

Ha, I thought that, preachy fat bloke telling people they’re fat. Teh ironing.

teasel
    Free Member

**imagines Teasel daubing “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” on his walls**

*looks for camera*

mikey3
    Free Member

Just exercise more you fat f****r,do all men go about worrying about their weight nowadays? my god its metrosexualtrackworld everyday:(,(goes off to pump some iron and maybe insult a foreigner).

bearnecessities

[video]http://youtu.be/raNGeq3_DtM[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Losing weight is easier than you think. Its amazing just how much you really need to eat to function living urban/in a city.

footflaps

I lost 10kg in 2 or 3 months after reading this article (it was linked on here) and then changing my breakfast habits. http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html?m=1

I used to eat breakfast at 630, then ride to work (only 20mins). By 9.30 I was starving and so ended up having a second breakfast to keep me going until lunch.

Now I only have black coffee when I wake up and eat breakfast at about 10am. This then means I have a much smaller lunch and no second breakfast. Took a couple of weeks to get used to, but since sticking to this I haven’t put the weight back on.

Interesting article, I have the same problem, eat breakfast at 8am (high fibre cereal) and then starving by about 9am! Might try delaying BF for a few hours….

_tom_
    Free Member

Less carbs, more protein will help. Protein keeps you fuller for longer so you won’t want to snack as much thus reducing your over all calorie intake. Read Racing Weight or at least get the cook book which kinda explains the DQS thing which is basically eat quality good rather than worrying about calories and carbs too much.

footflaps

Less carbs, more protein will help.

Not according to the article (assuming it is the CAR that is the problem).

mattrgee
    Free Member

I’m going to give the iDave / low carb diet a go. Got 20lbs to loose and usually loose only 1lb a week on ‘normal’ diets.

cookeaa

MFP is okay if you eat processed or packaged food, for people who cook all their food, it’s rather useless, unless you weigh absolutely everything.

Actually MFP’s database of food is pretty comprehensive IME, its not just processed stuff and McMeals, and you can input the details of anything you need to, IMO it actually suits the geeky “Male brained” types who love a good spreadsheet or graph and it lets you turn diet into data.

And yep if in doubt weigh your food, you’ll probably find you eat bigger than recommended portions of all sorts of foods and never realised.

It will look at your diet and tell you if you are over/under consuming certain stuff Protein, Salt, Sat fats etc… quite handy if you are looking to adjust your diet but maybe aren’t sure what to add/take out…

Plus it ties into Strava (and a few other activity tracking apps) if you like and awards you extra calories for the day, based on your ride data…

I have a mate who’s been doing the 5/2 thing for a while now, you can tell when he’s on a ‘fast’ day because He’s bloody miserable, but he has lost a couple of stone without any significant exercise… still don’t fancy it myself but everyone is different.

zilog6128

Interesting article, I have the same problem, eat breakfast at 8am (high fibre cereal) and then starving by about 9am! Might try delaying BF for a few hours….

Or possibly try ditching the junk food (assuming you’re eating some kind of processed breakfast cereal). I stopped eating breakfast cereal years ago as IMO it is junk but occasionally have it late at night as a snack if I am hungry/lazy enough. I invariably wake up absolutely ravenous though (much more so than if I had eaten something else or even nothing at all!) so it is obviously doing something weird to my body!

MFP is okay if you eat processed or packaged food, for people who cook all their food, it’s rather useless, unless you weigh absolutely everything.

I cook most meals from scratch but I have a repertoire of about a dozen which I cook regularly which I worked out for MFP. Yes, it was a ball ache, but I only had to do it once! For other one-off meals I guestimate which is reasonably accurate once you’ve done the above but there are some scales on the kitchen counter in any case.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I’m not preaching because I’m currently carrying far too much excess baggage but I have to agree with hora. The amount of food we eat in the west is far in excess of what our bodies require. I think we are just conditioned to accept it. Do we really need 2500kcal a day to remain healthy?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Plus it ties into Strava (and a few other activity tracking apps) if you like and awards you extra calories for the day, based on your ride data…

How do I go about linking them? Just installed MFP, looks handy and easy to use so will give it a try.

Do we really need 2500kcal a day to remain healthy?

MFP seems to reckon I need 3070, so will be on 2200 with a 800 deficit to lose some weight, more than I thought I needed to to be honest

barkm
    Free Member

I don’t think an arbitrary figure of calories needed a day can be stated, and actually I think the stated guidelines contribute to the problem.
    Calories aren’t like a budget you can spend, it’s a unit of energy, so varies by energy use and the efficiency/type of engine, time of day, temperature, mood, medications etc. SO for everyone it will be different.

One of the downsides for mfp for me was finding out I need to eat only 1700 calories a day to ‘maintain’ weight with some moderate exercise. I put this down to spending almost all day every day sat on my arse. I’d need to fundamentally change my life/get a new job to achieve the kind of weight loss I wanted to.
    Subsequently I just maintain a more realistic weight for me, as long as I can still ride bikes/do judo/walk/run at a reasonable level, I am happy.

This is in essence what the problem is, it requires a paradigm shift in understanding at the individual level to properly understand what is going on, and what you need from a diet.

zilog6128

The amount of food we eat in the west is far in excess of what our bodies require. I think we are just conditioned to accept it. Do we really need 2500kcal a day to remain healthy?

100% depends on your activity level. I used MFP (which is only going to be roughly remember) to work out I need 3000-3500 per day, based on cycle commuting every day, longer rides at the weekend, lifting weights or turbo 2-3 times per week plus being reasonably active throughout the day. As long as I eat this many calories in healthy food I maintain the same weight.

I was surprised about how much it said I needed but it makes sense to me. I did the MFP calculations because I suspected I was under-eating given my activity level and that this was causing me to feel run-down, etc.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I agree with that level of exercise you are going to need all the fuel you can get 🙂 the majority of ghe country probably don’t move as much

mogrim

chrishc777 – Member

How do I go about linking them? Just installed MFP, looks handy and easy to use so will give it a tr[/quote]

I’d like to know how, too – been looking around MFP and Strava webpages but can’t see it…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

chrishc777 – Member

How do I go about linking them? Just installed MFP, looks handy and easy to use so will give it a tr

I’d like to know how, too – been looking around MFP and Strava webpages but can’t see it..

From strava (on your phone) go to settings and there’s a ‘link other services’ you then get Instagram and MFP. Well I do anyway.

wilburt
    Free Member

Thanks for almost all the replies 😉

I already do quite a bit of fasted riding including the commute to work and usually a weekend ride which is rarely under 50 miles and often nearer 100 so dont get me wrong Im not massively overweight I lost 15kg last year pretty much just by cutting down on sugar but putting a bit back on over Christmas leaves me @ 95kg/182cm. The reason to lose more is improve cycling performance.

Given the replies my plan is thus:

January- No booze, cut out bread after 6pm.
    Feb- (Should the weight not be dropping off) as Jan but with fasting one day per week.
    March- cut my head orf!
    Ta

edit: a MFP thats works with strava,that may work for me.

mogrim

From strava (on your phone) go to settings and there’s a ‘link other services’ you then get Instagram and MFP. Well I do anyway.

Cheers, it is indeed there. Just not on the web page. Wonder if it’ll work when I upload to Suunto, which then sends it to Strava, will it then send it on to MFP?

(And should I be worried about how much of my life is online???)

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

No idea the only Suunto I own is a dive watch, the don’t yet have a strava diving app 😉

mogrim

January- No booze, cut out bread after 6pm.
    Feb- (Should the weight not be dropping off) as Jan but with fasting one day per week.
    March- cut my head orf!

What’s the significance of 6pm? And why not try and cut out bread altogether?

wilburt
    Free Member

Arbitrary time, other than itll be after my evening meal and excludes toast as supper. The prospect of no coffee and toast from my fave cafe c.10am may send me directly to March’s strategy!

cookeaa

One of the downsides for mfp for me was finding out I need to eat only 1700 calories a day to ‘maintain’ weight with some moderate exercise. I put this down to spending almost all day every day sat on my arse. I’d need to fundamentally change my life/get a new job to achieve the kind of weight loss I wanted to.

similar here, Sedentary office job means MFP has me on 1500 Cal per day in order to loose 1kg a fortnight, obviously I can consume more if I am active (Commuting in/home gets me ~1000 Cal) so exercise carries the extra incentive of being able to eat more (because you need it).

But it also makes you consider what and when you eat, porridge with fruit for breakfast see’s me most of the way through the morning, sensible sized lunches with a sensible amount of carbs get me through the afternoon, I have the odd bit of fruit through the day and I’m pretty much OK.

Plenty of water through each day, hydration has a big impact on my energy levels I find….

Oh and sleeping/rest is important, if your are fatigued by lack of sleep, you’re more likely to eat convenient crap IME, so get some kip…

I’m avoiding processed stuff and hidden sugar/fat as much as practicable…

But I’m also only treating MFP as a guide, realistically I will go slightly over the the suggested figures quite regularly, but +100 cal here and there isn’t as important as keeping to the overall plan, and shouldn’t be treated as an excuse to go off piste altogether, I’m probably taking in 30% less calories overall than I did, and thinking more about the ‘Quality’ of those that I do consume.

Plus you re-asses your goals every ~6-8 weeks or so, it’s flexible so you can choose to lose or maintain weight, or increase your activity levels and try to keep things sustainable in the longer term…

I’m evangelising, sorry…

mogrim

Arbitrary time, other than itll be after my evening meal and excludes toast as supper. The prospect of no coffee and toast from my fave cafe c.10am may send me directly to March’s strategy!

Just installed MFP, and discovered that my typical Spanish mid-morning elevenses contains nearly 400 calories – toast with tomato and olive oil, and a black coffee… you might want to think about that 10am cafe stop 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

How’s it going so far?

You should have lost about 250g already if you want to stay on schedule.

wilburt
    Free Member

hang on, let me drop the kids of first.

Crell
    Free Member

I can recommend flu followed by bronchitis. I’ve lost 8 lb since xmas day.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No or low carbs, worked for me.

Currently on a bulking cycle, so lots of nice things to eat at the moment :).

bones
    Free Member

Shirley catabolism from fasting will hinder riding performance?

hockropper

To the person looking for a sugar replacement, stelvia is naturally occuring, ;0)

hockropper

Sorry the stelvia should be to nipper99, ;0)

beefheart
    Free Member

Become a smackhead.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Homemade juices are a bit of a pain in MFP

Even it so far today between carb, fat and protein. Surprised at carbs in the chicken breast but that is added to the porridge so far.

zilog6128

Oh and sleeping/rest is important, if your are fatigued by lack of sleep, you’re more likely to eat convenient crap IME, so get some kip…

This, along with minimising stress, is massively important and something I ignored for too long.

If you’re tired/stressed not only are you more prone to making poor decisions re. food, exercise, etc, you’ll also mess up your hormone balance which could make it harder to lose body fat. It’s also too easy to get into a vicious circle when you go down this road.

To the person looking for a sugar replacement, stelvia is naturally occuring, ;0)

I found the taste/texture of neat stevia utterly vile (admittedly it’s less noticeable depending on what it’s mixed with).

I found xylitol much more pleasant (it’s also very beneficial for your teeth apparently!) although I don’t use either regularly and generally agree with MTFU line of thinking.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Lose 10kg of lard before Spring.’ is closed to new replies.