Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Lose 10kg of lard before Spring.
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed with anything technical, what if I just don’t eat occasionally, like for 24hours now and then, is that likely to work?

somouk
    Free Member

Would be similar to the five two diet where you restrict calories on two days out of five. Have a google, lots of resources.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just get into my fitness pal. That will sort you out. ELEM

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Nutritional ketosis, look it up, Amazing results IF done properly 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MFP is okay if you eat processed or packaged food, for people who cook all their food, it’s rather useless, unless you weigh absolutely everything.

Eat less move more?

It’s not that technical

Is this a troll?

ton

easiest way is just to not eat anything manmade.
    eat meat and fish and veg and fruit…….oh,and eggs 😀

jambourgie
    Free Member

ECA Stack.

IANAD

spooky_b329

I lost around 8kg relatively easily (and I’m not overweight, just close to the top of the BMI healthy range) by cutting out:

Bread
    Cereal (swapped bran flakes etc for no added sugar muesli topped with weetabix or shredded wheat)
    Stopped eating between meals (but didn’t reduce portions except for the bread element)

I know find cereal too sweet, even plain stuff like rice krispies and cornflakes 🙂

I’ve put a couple back on but found it easy to stay 6kg under what I was a couple of years back.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MFP just requires either some effort or imagination. Not that hard and makes you think about that extra bit of……

joshvegas
    Free Member

ton – Member
    easiest way is just to not eat anything manmade.
    eat meat and fish and veg and fruit…….oh,and eggs
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No more longpig wraps? :'(

spooky_b329

Oh yeh, I used MFP as well.

Strange as you realise how sometimes a day that felt unhealthy was actually below target, although more often you thought you’d done good but something rather innocent ruined it all!

wrecker
    Free Member

ECA Stack.

I tried a version of this (from the shelf). F ME. Never again.

cheers_drive

I also need to lose about that much after a health enforced scaling back of riding coincided with Xmas over indulgence.
    was useful in the pass to identify some surprising high calorie food to cut back on and to balance calories in and out.
    As above is more difficult if cooking from scratch but you can quickly learn what you need to measure and what you don’t- basically grains, potatoes, fat, red meat.

Coyote
    Free Member

Dry January can cut quite a few pounds.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Another vote for My Fitness Pal. I wouldn’t have thought I was. that bulky but have lost one and a half stone by simply recording what I eat. I bought a set of decent digital scales, cook from scratch, and do weigh everything- it takes minimal time- and must say it have totally changed the way I eat. I was surprised how easily you can have a bad food day. Essentially, it has taken the hard work out of watching what I eat.

Bottom line is I feel healthier, stronger and leaner than I have done in years.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I lost about 20kg last year simply by eating less and moving more. It wasn’t difficult.

wilburt
    Free Member

I don’t eat packaged food, perhaps the occasional emergency Greggs sausage roll but mostly it’s chicken/fish and a bit of veg or more likely salads into the summer. I’ve used calorie counters and am generally ok until the weekend looms and I blow the calorie count on wine/beer and curry oh and im a bit fond of toast which probably isn’t going to change.
    I can’t move any more @Artist thanks for you wise words but I already do c.8k per year on the bike and 30/60 mins running per week so it’s not “move more” I just need to eat less and doing that gradually seems more difficult than saying tommorow I’m not eating anything.

Dry January can cut quite a few pounds.

ah yes that’s in the plan too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

MFP is okay if you eat processed or packaged food, for people who cook all their food, it’s rather useless, unless you weigh absolutely everything.

Granted it’s easier to just scan barcodes, but it’s also got a massive database of cooked stuff which you can use to get a reasonable estimate, you just have to be honest with yourself and your portion sizes. I’ve not had to weigh anything yet just select how many cup fulls/plates or bowls I’ve had (I’m mostly making simple stews with lots of veg). What it does well is focus you on how much odds and sods you are consuming each day (chocolate, crisps and booze), but you could easily do it with just pure self discipline. I’ve only been using it for a week and already lost half a kilo.

ton

I can’t move any more @Artist thanks for you wise words

every single time someone starts a post about losing weight, some prat comes up with the move more thing……….i fricking despise it.

some of us fat blokes ride more miles than 99.9 per cent of the sofa jockeys who post on here.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I can’t move any more @Artist thanks for you wise words but I already do c.8k per year on the bike and 30/60 mins running per week so it’s not “move more” I just need to eat less and doing that gradually seems more difficult than saying tommorow I’m not eating anything.

Excuses excuses excuses. It’s simple energy balance. Everything else is just bollocks. You’re trying to make a change, you are meant to feel hungry at times. Fat people take more to feel full because they’ve stretched their stomach. Get a grip.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

When i last weighed my portion size i was a bit shocked. Things like my morning bowl of muesli was about 4 times what it should have been!

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably not.

If you want non technical, just stop eating sugar and white starch. That’s it.

mogrim

When i last weighed my portion size i was a bit shocked. Things like my morning bowl of muesli was about 4 times what it should have been!

Is that according to the packet? They’re notorious for using stupidly small portion sizes, makes the cereal look like it has a lot less calories than it really has.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Felt decidely hungry today! Bloody MFP 😉

MrNice
    Free Member

It’s simple energy balance

so if I eat once per day, 2500 calories of cheesecake at midnight, this will be the same as getting my 2500 calories from a “healthy” diet split across 3 meals and a couple of snacks?

Since what and when you eat affects how much of your intake is used/stored it’s not that simple. If it was, we’d all be ripped and we wouldn’t have to have these discussions.

MrNice
    Free Member

Even less seriously, the best answer I ever saw to one of these questions was years ago on misc.fitness.weights: “cut your head off with an axe” 😆

Nipper99
    Free Member

Out of interest is there a sugar subsitute that tastes like, well, sugar and does not have that horrible aftertaste.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

some of us fat blokes ride more miles than 99.9 per cent of the sofa jockeys who post on here.

But that is only half of the equation. I know lots it people who go for long rides/play sport and then have a couple of beers and crisps afterwards. Net calorie gain often….

ampthill

Fat people take more to feel full because they’ve stretched their stomach.

Doctor are we?

pcosmic
    Free Member

I lost 4kg without thinking about it too much with my Jawbone UP24. You can get a new up Move for about 40 quid. Worth a try…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Katie Hopkin’s diet plan FTW

molgrips
    Free Member

Out of interest is there a sugar subsitute that tastes like, well, sugar and does not have that horrible aftertaste

Nope. Readjust your palette. In other words, mtfu.

wilburt
    Free Member

@wankyman
    I understand the need to eat/drink less and occasional hunger is ok, that wasn’t the question and didn’t need stating. Could I also suggest you talk to people online with no less respect than you would in person or people are likely to think you a gobshite.

Thanks though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Excuses excuses excuses. It’s simple energy balance. Everything else is just bollocks.

Citation needed. Go on, find one 🙂

Garry_Lager

5:2 diet is pretty good wilburt – it’s just fasting, so pretty tried, tested and simple, but it’s quite a good structure for the mental side of weight loss IMO (which is what it’s all about).

MFP is great for taking a long hard look at what you’re shovelling down the gullet on a daily basis – reet ballache keeping it up to date, though.

Not an app for googlephobes if you swing that way – what, when and how you eat is an analytics dream for insurance / healthcare concerns of the future.

hora
    Free Member

Simple: no bread, potatoes or pasta. You’ll be amazed how unstodged you become.

bearnecessities

Yup, just snort brown rice & insert sweet potatoes anally.

I’ll say it once..Nothing is off-bounds, it’s what you eat/do regularly.

That’s all anyone can suggest as general advice and for most, is sufficient.

paulwf

I lost 10kg in 2 or 3 months after reading this article (it was linked on here) and then changing my breakfast habits. http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html?m=1

I used to eat breakfast at 630, then ride to work (only 20mins). By 9.30 I was starving and so ended up having a second breakfast to keep me going until lunch.

Now I only have black coffee when I wake up and eat breakfast at about 10am. This then means I have a much smaller lunch and no second breakfast. Took a couple of weeks to get used to, but since sticking to this I haven’t put the weight back on.

I also do the same for an early Sunday morning ride – though if it is a long one I do have to take cereal bars with me.

MSP

I don’t think you have to be particularly accurate with MFP for self made meals, just the act of recording what you eat makes you much more aware of the total (although you do have to be honest).

Another tip is to actually plan out your following weeks meals, then shop for them, I find it much easier to follow a plan than to just knock up something healthy at random every time. And if you are anything like me this will also seriously reduce food wastage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Lose 10kg of lard before Spring.’ is closed to new replies.