• This topic has 71 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Lordswood Southampton – Slow ride Thursday night
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Starts at 6:30 by the radio mast at the Sports Centre end of the woods. Finishes 8-8:30 depending on bodies, breakages and beers

Bring lights

DIS

Thursday never good for me, could do that time or earlier Wed as planning to ride in lordswood that day anyway.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will probably be up there some time Wednesday afternoon (work permitting). What time were you planning on going there?

DIS

Normally get to the wood by 4.40 – 4.50 on Wednesday straight after work, but can go bit later, live only 10 min from Wood.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I live half way between the woods and the hospital which is handy. I can probably get up there for 4:45ish if you want to meet.

If so, where?

DIS

I finish work at 4.00 in Hythe, so guess i will be at the Gas station sub staion at the top of short climb end of coxford road for around 4.50 (might be five min extra, never timed it before!). I will hang around to 1700.

I ride a singular hummingbird, single speed so dought you will have any trouble spoting me.

So i expect i will see you Wednesday.

DezB
    Free Member

WCA (sorry, can’t make the ride), but that guy on Dragon’s Den with the push-along bikes – is he the same fella who supplies them to the BBB?

Dragons invested in his business, so I doubt he’ll be giving away anymore freebees!!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DLS – I will be on a fully rigid SS. I out niche you 😉 See you there

DezB – Never seen DD so can’t tell you. I am sure I will find someone to give us free stuff for the BBB

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hmm Hummingbrid in Hythe, not spotted that! I live in Hythe and ride a SS GT peace. Might be able to make Wednesday evening if I can leave some stuff at WCA’s house while we ride….

Andy

Reminds me WCA – I have one of your torches in my Vayn. Found it in the tent that Az used.

chojin
    Free Member

I might dust off my lights and give this a crack :]

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

All people welcome. storage and bike cleaning available at my house.

Andy – I will pick up the torch next time I see you. Wondered where it went

Andy

Yeah the torch turned up when I used the tent in August. Guess it must have been left there in May in the Quants.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sounds about right. I don’t use them much over the summer

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wednesday 4:50 – 5pm at the radio mast
    Thursday 6:30 at the radio mast with lights

All welcome

Andy

Ok if need sooner is easy enough to put in the post. PM me?

benjbish

Oooh sounds good. Where’s the radio mast? Sorry never noticed it, might be obvious.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

ben – If you enter the woods from the sports centre end you will ride along the road until the tarmac runs out and then up a slight hill witht he gas pressure reducing station on the left, the radio mast is right in front. if you wait near the gas station you will see us.

If you enter from the Chilworth end then cross the motorway bridge, keep straight on towards the kennels, straight along the footpath bit next to the kennels, straight along the path until you get to the radio mast / gas station.

DIS

I think the radio mast is the same place as the gas sub station (hope so, or i will end up in the wrong place tonight!) In which case have a look at google maps, find lords wood, look for coxford road, you will notice the road ends in the wood, go to that point. The last bit of road is gravel which passes the gas station and i think the radio mast is at top.

Hope this helps.

noteeth
    Free Member

I miss Lordswood – a lovely network of trails.

Kept me sane for a few years.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

noteeth – how long after it stopped keeping you sane did you continue to ride there? Where do you ride now? Do you have an axe* and do I need to be scared?

*I have a spare axe if you want to borrow it

noteeth
    Free Member

noteeth – how long after it stopped keeping you sane did you continue to ride there?

Ha – right till the end, when I moved back to Bristol. You can trust me with an axe… probably. 😀

I lived on the Winchester Road, so it was a quick ride thru the sports ground & into the woods.

lucien

Ride at Lordswood last night, and it’s all looking a little bit overgrown in parts, and also very very very muddy in places – so much so, I came off a good few times and was finding it hard to maintain any speed.

Workmans looking OK, but well dug; Star Wars was muddy at the bottom and top but ok in the middle.

Lots of logs had been “strategically” placed over the trails as well so was clearing as we were going – hope that’s not the shape of things to come 👿

chojin
    Free Member

Noteeth, where abouts on Winchester road did you live? I used to live directly opposite the shops :]

noteeth
    Free Member

In the 400s… about 2 mins from the shops.

chojin
    Free Member

I was in the 380s, small world eh 🙂

nick – how did tonight’s ride go?

benjbish

Cheers for the navigation advice, I know where the mast is… just a bit hidden. I went through the trails on Saturday evening (in the storm) and noticed loads of strategically placed logs when going through the long grass singletrack on the golf course side of things.

Looking forward to the ride tomorrow to sus out more routes.

evorob
    Free Member

I’ve been up there twice now but dont know the area.. I live in hythe and if i can make it i will try to pop up tonight.. should be interesting when its dark and not knowing the trails..

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Tempted to make the trip over from Cowes to that there Maaaiinlaaand for this. 😀

How long would it take to ride from Town Quay to Lordswood? And is the radio mast starting point a self-explanatory Big Tall Thing, or only for locals and those in-the-know?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Remember it will be a slow ride tonight. My shoulder and legs are feeling battered from the ride and my head is feeling cloudy after the Duval recovery strategy last night.

I spotted a few logs around but nothing too bad. I put them down to wind fall rather than stick man but I guess if you guys had cleared a load…

Also spotted a police man riding round looking for moped boys. He clearly didn’t realise that they would be in bed by 7pm.

How many are we expecting this evening?

lucien

StefMcDef – about 15 or 20 minutes depending on how bouncy your bike is….go up Coxford Road (away from Southampton) and as soon as it turns to gravel, couple of hundred yeards on the left is gas station / mast thingy – simples………

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I can offer bike wash facilities at my house afterwards as it is likely to be a bit muddy

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I can offer bike wash facilities at my house afterwards as it is likely to be a bit muddy

richen987
    Free Member

will there be a ride next week at all? we are moving just down the road on Stoneham Lane, so would be nice to meet some people and have a look, we popped over a month or so ago but generally got lost, what was there that we found was nice tho.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Have checked this Coxford road/gas station thing out on Google streetview now and it makes sense.

If I get the half four ferry that gives me an hour to get lost in the mean streets of Southampton between the ferry terminal and the starting point. See y’all there.

If it’s a slow ride I’ll take the 29er and make it slower still. 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is a regular Thursday night ride.

If anyone wants showing round the place it is probably best done in the daylight. I will probably be going out there on Sunday morning about 11ish if you want to meet up.

3 rides in one week! At this rate I will be fit or injured again sooner than anticipated

FieldMarshall

I’m keen to tag along, but can’t make tonight as off the Cwn Carn & Brechfa this weekend. 🙂

If it’s a regular event, I’ll try and get there next week.

TimCotic
    Free Member

WCA – do your ride Lordswood regularly? If so, do you fancy giving a guided tour to a slow old fat chap? Also I’m wondering if you’re the chap who bought my Gore Jacket last Autumn – your name rings a bell from somewhere.
    Timmy

evorob
    Free Member

As above could do with showing round during the day at some point… If anyone’s about..

mattbee

I’d loke to pop alopng next week for this if that’s ok, never riddennthere before but Thurs eve is my usual riding time. Got the Joystick I won at a wonderful new Forest based event this summer to use now too….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Lordswood Southampton – Slow ride Thursday night’ is closed to new replies.