Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Lordswood Southampton – Slow ride Thursday 13th 6:30pm
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slow friendly ride around the woods. Finishes about 8pm, possibly with a beer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh this sounds great, read up on your last posts pre/post ride..

Can’t make tonight, hope to make one very soon.

AndyRT
    Free Member

can you google map the start location please?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

Me too, see you later.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will be bringing along a mate who doesn’t normally ride but thinks it will be a good warm up for his wendyball game at 8:30 so there will be fresh meat 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I’m riding tonight, bit earlier though, if I’m still feeling lively at 6.30 I’ll join you. By the gas substation thingy?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That’s the place. What time are you heading out?

AndyRT
    Free Member

I will try to make it, but time is short between finishing work and getting there…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Andy – we normally allow 5 minutes of faff time. I have emailed you my mobile so if you do miss the start you will still be able to find us

FieldMarshall

Likewise, keen to come, but time is tight between finishing work, getting home and getting there for 6.30.

If I can get there, where would be the best place to park?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just park on Coxford Rd on the bit before the tarmac gives way to dirt.

If you miss the start just ring me. I have mailed you my mobile

chojin
    Free Member

What’s the conditons like out there? Pretty boggy?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not too bad. There was dust on the trails yesterday. There are enough so we can avoid the worst

fieldmarshal – your email bounced so let’s hope you get there in time

DT78
    Free Member

Boggy?! It’s about as dry as it gets there at the moment, couple of patches of thick mud which are normally swampy wheel grabbers.

I cycle straight from work so normally in the centre of LW (xroads where the chavs on stolen bikes hang out) normally for 5.45ish.

Btw – the main bridge on lordswood greenway that crosses tanners brook has been nicked….so don’t head down that way at speed in the dark or you will have a nasty surprise.

FieldMarshall

Sounds dodgy.

Is it safe to park around there?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Safe to park there. If you are worried you can park at my house which is about 1/2 a mile from the woods. email me if you want the address

DT78
    Free Member

It’s fine (unless you are coming on a scooter!). I’d park on coxford road though rather than further up when it turns into gravel. It’s a bit secluded there.

FieldMarshall

WCA.

Havent received your email, so have emailed you from my other email address.

FieldMarshall

Is it possible to park on the Chilworth side?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Yes you can park the Chilworth side I just marked the spot on this map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=202210352807917890023.0004af2a9d0cc364adb42

FieldMarshall

So I looks like I drive along Chilworth Drove, over top of M27 and park at the entrance to the wood.

Is that right?

soma_rich
    Free Member

yes. then ride down the road in front of you past Utopia along all the way down to Coxford road. Just dont turn off at any point.

FieldMarshall

Thanks.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

FieldMarchal – YGM (twice – depending on where you park)

richardwake1231
    Free Member

I’m going to try and make it, i’ve got to look at a house first. So if I don’t make the start I’ll try and find you guys somewhere on the trails.

mattbee

I’ll be there again this eve.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

richard – shouldn’t be too hard to find but email me if you want my mobile

FieldMarshall

WCA. Mail received.

Hope to be there, but depends on work/traffic etc

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just been up the woods to do some trail polishing basically picking the trail that runs along side the stream after the river crossing.

The smaller of the two tree trunks blocking the trail beside the stream now has a small dirt ramp each side to make it rideable.

Having crossed the stream using the second bigger blocking tree trunk and doubled back on yourself the tree trunk that blocked the path has a dirt ramp so you can ride over it but only on one side.

When you turn right to head up away from the river there was the path you crossed with two deep muddy tractor tyre ruts. If you stick to the right there is now a raised path that keeps out of the mud.

On a separate trail where there was a log across a narrow gully that rotted through. The rotten log across the gully has now been replaced been replaced by a badly built bridge.

Now finishing my work and ready for this evenings ride.

🙂

mattbee

Mmmm… Ominous dark cloud moving West over Portsmouth atm. Could be damp a bit later!

DT78
    Free Member

Nowt on rain alarm and the rain normally travels west to east. It looks lovely out there at the moment so I’m leaving now!

Having tried to understand the trails WCA describes I am now confuzzled….are you referring to the sections in the west near Tanners brook or the stream or east closer to chilworth?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Starting from the btoom corner of the woods nearest Rownhams Services there is a stream that runs between the edge of the woods and a cow field. Follow that along until it turns right and the trail crosses it. That is the river crossing I am referring to at the start of my description.

Don’t worry, just ride and smile if you find it,

atlaz
    Free Member

WCA – how strenuous/tough/tech are the routes you ride? My dad lives in Soton and is getting more and more into his riding but is very much still a beginner (and in his 60s but pretty fit)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

atlaz – same trails I took my godson on when he was seven. If he is fit, he might struggle to slow down to our pace 😉 We tend to stop at the top of every climb and the bottom of every run. The worse he will find is some slippy roots. You just ride faster or shut your eyes for sections to add fun.

If he wants a slow potter round on a Sunday morning some time just email me. I am busy this Sunday though

mattbee

Great fun tonight guys, even with my otb experience. Just replaced some calories with a big slice of cake…

Cheers for the beer too Nick!

See you next week.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Lordswood Southampton – Slow ride Thursday 13th 6:30pm’ is closed to new replies.