Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Lord of the rings trilogy………….??
  • swavis

Ha ha, class ^

I'm suprised noboby's mentioned the BBC radio play yet. Absolute genius.
    I'm amazed I ever passed physics 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm suprised noboby's mentioned the BBC radio play yet

I remember that! I found the voice of Aragorn far too wimpy 🙁 Surely that was about 1973 ?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think pretty much every name means something in the books

Speaking of names, Grimer Wormtongue (or whatever it is) sticks in my craw a bit- it's a bit obvious isn't it? None of the others have keyword names like that, although I guess they have a kind of 'feel' to them to tell you who's good/bad.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wormtongue (or whatever it is) sticks in my craw a bit

that's not his given name, it's a nickname! Otherwise you'd be in JK Rowling territory…

jahwomble
    Free Member

"look who's talking :o)"

fair point:)

melkor
    Free Member

I love LOTR. In all my years of posting nobody has ever pointed out the origin of my STW name!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Wormtongue (or whatever it is) sticks in my craw a bit

that's not his given name, it's a nickname! Otherwise you'd be in JK Rowling territory…

Ah, is it? I'll let him off then!

GrahamS

He is Gríma, son of Gálmód. Wormtongue is just a nickname.

The keyword bit is actually "Gríma", which apparently derives from the Icelandic word meaning "mask".

Most of the characters do have "keywords" as MrSalmon puts it:

Frodo: from Old English fród meaning 'wise by experience'.

Sauron: originates from the adjective saura "foul, putrid" in Tolkien's invented language Quenya.

Gandalf: he Old Norse name Gandalfr incorporates the words gandr meaning "wand", "staff" or (especially in compounds) "magic" and alfr meaning "elf" or in a wider sense "(mythological) being"

Saruman: "man of skill" in the Mercian dialect of Anglo-Saxon

and so on. (all from Wiki)

timdrayton
    Free Member

the silmarillion heavy going?

you wanna try the unfinished tales….. loads of numbered references to appendices, authors notes etc.

grahams, its good though if you like the immersive detail, and some added details to the stories of the descendants of Hurin, history of Numenor etc.

going to give the history of middle earth series a go next me thinks, you read any of them?

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Lord of the rings trilogy………….??’ is closed to new replies.