Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Loosing weight, how best to stop?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve been gradually loosing weight for the last year and am now approaching the point where I want to stop. The weight loss is mostly through cycling more and cutting out snacks. The simple answer is that I need to increase my calorie input to match my output, but what’s the best way (I don’t want to go too far the wrong way etc)? Currently I only drink water while riding and only eat on the bike if it’s a particularly long ride so would changing my drink and eating on the bike work?

This is a genuine question and not just a ‘look at meeeeee’ 🙄

cloudnine
    Free Member

Moar pudding!

retro83
    Free Member

poo less

tomhoward

How loose is the weight?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Tomhoward, did you intentially wait until I couldn’t edit it to post? I would like to make an excuse, but I’m afraid I’m just a bit thick (but not as thick around the middle as I was!) 😳

john_drummer
    Free Member

It’s not often that I’ll say this, but “eat more, do less”

Use myfitnesspal to measure what you’re taking in, and increase it by say 100kcal a day, see what happens. If still losing weight, add another 100kcal. Repeat until you start gaining wait, then ease off a bit

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

loosing

Not once, but twice 🙁

Kryton57

Go mad at Papa Johns.

Sandwich

Beer would do it.

SaxonRider

I’ve been wondering exactly the same thing, so will watch this thread with interest.

In the meantime, I am going to put out a call to Mr Woppit, as he insists the 5:2 pattern works well for maintenance, and I want to see how he is getting on many months later.

It might be an answer to the question.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Difficult one to answer really. How much cycling are you doing? IMO, if you are cycling alot, even upping your intake of food will not result in you maintaining weight; I think your body is not daft and it’d prefer to use the extra energy to power you rather than store it as fat.

There comes a point where you eventually “bottom” out though, dunno if this varies from person to person. I think that’s why elite athletes have strange diets and what not, because getting past this point is tough (I guess below 10% body fat or whatever Chris Froome has)

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I suppose you could be scientific about it. If 3500 kcal = 1 pound then calculate what you need to consume to balance out your current rate of weight loss. What you eat or drink to do this just depends on how healthy you want it to be. I’d go down the beer and kebab route myself 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Stupid thing to say, but match calories in with calories out – they say an average man needs 2500 cals a day to maintain weight, but it’s very rough and if you’re lifting a Hod all day or you’re 6′ 7″ you’ll need more, if you’re 5′ 2″ and sit at a desk all day you’ll need less.

If you want to be more ‘scientific’ as a very rough average under-eating 1000cals a day will result in 1kg of fat loss a week – 7000cals = 1kgs – if you know how much weight you’re losing at the moment as an average you can calculate how much you need to stay still.

Remember if you’ve got a history of over-eating (being very over weight or obese rather than just trimming a bit) you are more likely to put it back on if you don’t monitor your intake and weight – so you’ll still need a controlled diet, but it’ll just be one that matches your output.

piemonster

Joining me on a ski holiday would sort you out.

You’ll eat quantities you people wouldn’t believe. Attack pizzas and beers on the shoulder of Plan des eaux. You’ll consume syrup crepes in the dark near the Pre St Esprit. All those calories will not be lost in time, like buttery croissants…in…the morning sun. Time for cheese fondue.

*Obviously I have nothing useful to contribute, ta ra!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Beer, BBQ ribs and pizza has always worked for me. I’ve also found 5:2 diet is too much for maintenance, try 6:1 (but of course it varies by person).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Stop cutting out snacks?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Go large for an extra 30p?

bigblackshed

Bravo PieMonster.

shermer75
    Free Member

You’ll eat quantities you people wouldn’t believe. Attack pizzas and beers on the shoulder of Plan des eaux. You’ll consume syrup crepes in the dark near the Pre St Esprit. All those calories will not be lost in time, like buttery croissants…in…the morning sun. Time for cheese fondue.

Loved this

shermer75
    Free Member

I guess the key thing here is finding something that is sustainable. The 5:2 diet seems to work for some, but not for others. Counting calories in and out really appeals to some people as well, but can also feel like hard work. The benefit of things like MyFitnessPal is you get to find out where the calories are (and aren’t!) and this helps to eliminate the mysterious weight gaining events, so you know what to look for and eventually maintain your weight without needing the app.

mattyfez

Eat more chocolate, takeaways, pork pies and real ale.

slackboy
    molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you want to stop losing weight?

I’d try plain maltodextrin whilst riding – it’s very cheap (not branded energy drink) and will give you calories. Might make you faster too.

martinhutch

Post of the Week…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why do you want to stop losing weight?

In case he goes subatomic? It’s a whole new quantum realm and there’s no way back.

willard

You need to swap to the Binners-plan and get yourself to Greggs. That should do it.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s very unlikely that you’ll lose too much weight and starve to death or become ill. Getting to very low body fat takes effort and suffering and skill and knowledge, and you’re probably not going to do it accidentally. Keep eating what you’re eating, and doing the exercise that you’re doing, and your body will naturally level out at the right weight.

Keep an eye on your weight and look again at your diet if you notice it start to creep up.

SaxonRider

@JEngledow: Mr Woppit responded.

He has indeed been using the 5:2 to maintain weight, which might be a way forward for you too. I know I am going to try it for myself.

beefheart
    Free Member

You can get reverse liposuction.

Kryton57

You could read my Bodyfat % thread, its enough to make anyone stop… 😥

thestabiliser
    Free Member

pint of guinness with your breakfast

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Loosing weight, how best to stop?’ is closed to new replies.