Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Loose straight pull spokes!!!
  • craig5

Got a pair of specialized roval wheels, and given them a good 12 months of hammer all round the lakes, in the peaks and local gnar. Spoke tension has gone on a few rear spokes (I’m on 150mm out back), and had to have one replaced. Now 2 more have gone. They just spin in the frigin hub. Am I missing something? J bend spokes don’t do that yeh yeh. What do you do with your fancy wheels then? Advice please. I don’t intend on buying new wheels until I get a new bike with big wheels ( exact size to be decided), which is a long way off ( I hope).

njee20
    Free Member

Hold them with a pair of pliers. Cover jaws with electrical tape first.

However your nipples have probably seized, so you’ll be cutting the spokes.

wwaswas

You can buy spoke gripper things to stop them spinning whilst you tighten the nipples.

craig5

wwaswas tell me more about the spoke gripper thing. njee20 you may be right! They have a fancy dt Swiss spoke lock thing going on (prob locktight)

darrenspink
    Free Member

I did as wwaswas said. Took the tyre and rim tape off and added some wd40 to the nipples to help a couple of slightly seized ones.

wwaswas

Did a search for spoke grippers and they’re pricey. I’d go for the flat pliers with tape approach for a one off.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Park do DT swiss funny spoke key and flat spoke grippers for about £8 each on Ebay

craig5

Any chance of a link suburbanreuben, that eBay search is bringing up notning

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m guessing the op has round spokes that are spinning. Personal is use some pliers carefully but as above prob stuck in place

njee20
    Free Member

Was gonna say, seen bladed spoke holders – the Bontrager key ring one is nice, but not seen a tool for holding flat straight pull spokes?

njee20
    Free Member

They’re for bladed spokes, not straight pull.

craig5

Poo, yes mine are just plain old round spokes. Why the f##k don’t they have a square/hex end at the bloody hub? A loose spoke on a expensive wheel set can’t make it a right off’?

orangeboy
    Free Member

At worse a new spoke and nipple so only a few pounds
    You can try adding tension to the spoke by bending it while turning the nipple

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Loose straight pull spokes!!!’ is closed to new replies.