Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Loose Rear Hub – Can I go out Night Riding Tomorrow?
  • Duggan

There is a bit of play in my rear wheel (maybe 0.5mm each side if that makes sense).

I’m pretty sure my rear hub is loose or needs completely replacing. Trying to fix this isn’t possible really as I live in a flat and don’t have any tools etc yet alone any actual mechanical nouse.

So my question is this- the local club are going out for a night ride tomorrow, about 3hrs- will I kill myself or my bike or is it OK to risk it?

I know the sensible thing to do is just to not go out but last week’s got cancelled at the last minute and I really want to get my first ride with this group under my belt.

andyl
    Free Member

what hub?

If it’s cup and cone try tightening your QR a bit as it will tweak it (your QR might be a bit slack). By riding on it you are risking causing damage to the surfaces. If it’s a cartridge bearing then they are probably knackered anyway so probably not much problem.

All you need to adjust it is a pair of cone spanners and I’m pretty sure you can do any job, especially service a wheel, in a flat. That lack of experience doing it is a hindrance but living in a flat is not an excuse!

lucien

Go…if you die then others will be with you to help out

Duggan

what hub?

OK (bear with me here) I just looked at my hub and it seems it is a Shimano M475 which appears to be this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=1975&ModelID=38215

It’s on my Cube Attention, I don’t think it’s the QR as it’s wound pretty tight.

living in a flat is not an excuse!

Yep, not going to argue with this 😳

Duggan

Incidentally, the first hit that appears if you google ‘shimano m475 hub’ is ‘The Worst Shimano hubs Ever’ 😆

andyl
    Free Member

its a bog standard Shimano then.

tbh they come with a pitiful amount of grease so I’d strip it and re-grease it ASAP anyway. Maybe ask one of your riding mates if they can bring some cone spanners and give it a nip up before your ride. Or it may be best to not mess and just sort it after the ride. It will probably be fine unless you tend to be very hard on kit.

Deffo check the QR though.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Cup and cone hub – tighten up the nuts a little bit and it’ll be fine for a ride tomorrow.

Edit ^ yes, you could strip and regrease if you’re that way inclined. One ride shouldn’t make too much difference though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Unless one of the cones decides to tighten up against the bearings, you should be fine. Mine did this and I thought the brake had locked on!

Duggan

OK cheers guys, that’s very helpful. I think I’ll risk it for tomorrow and then try and sort it after that.

If it completely breaks down than I guess I’ll be facing a long walk home but I suppose nothing worse.

BigJohn

You’ll be fine with a slightly floppy shimano hub. And a bit of rear wheel steering is good. I always find that my next ride after removing play is a bit sketchy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Loose Rear Hub – Can I go out Night Riding Tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.