Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Loose RaceFace X-Type cranks – shot spline?
  • Sven

Hi,

my cranks (RaceFace X-Type) came loose a couple of rides ago, yesterday it go even worse. I tried to tighten the main bolt each time but yesterday, the bolt was as tight as it gets. Took the cranks off after the ride and this is what the splines inside on the drive-side look like:

I don't suppose anyone had anything similar before? I reckon these are not meant to look like this when the cranks are new, and mine are beyond repair? And I thought that the main advantage of Hollowtech/X-Type over square taper was that one has a better connection between axle and cranks?!

Thanks for your advice
    Sven

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

The splines look fine, Although it's pretty difficult to tell from a pic, however what the **** have you done to the back of the crank? You also don't appear to have the reddy orangey pre load elastomer in place. If you've not been using that then the cranks will keep coming loose.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

WTF has happened on the inside of the crank arms? have they been "modified"?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Looks like you gound the granny tabs off to make it work with a chain device? If you bought them new then they come with a life time warranty.

Sven

Thanks for your input so far! Yes, I did grind the granny tabs off as I was using the cranks with a selfmade Excentriker bottom bracket at one point and now on a bike with Rohloff hub so no need for the granny.
    I bought the cranks new in 2007 but can't recall the orange rubber ring, they worked fine for the last 3 years and only started coming loose last week for the first time. Good to know about the lifetime warranty!
    Sven

geetee1972
    Free Member

yep hope that Silverfish honour the warranty. You'll need something to prove you are the original owner and a bit of luck that grinding off the granny tabs doesn't void the warranty. Silverfish can be a bit of a pain with warranties; I've had this problem with them myself because I couldn't prove I was the original purchaser.

daveob
    Free Member

Silverfish are crap period!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

erm the splines look knackered and nearly identical to my race face evolve cranks shortly before they were binned!

As for warranty – I'm fairly sure that the lifetime warranty doesnt apply to the evolve range or lower, still worth checking. .

theotherjonv

silverfish didn't give me a lifetime warranty on my RF cranks. A year, iirc?

gee
    Free Member

I had that happen. I asked Silverfish and apparently it's wear and tear, so not warranty. Bunch of bollocks those cranks – it'd never happen with Shimano.

Sven

Thanks again, chaps, it won't hurt to contact Silverfish but I am not hopeful given that I ground off the tabs (not that this should affect the locking mechanism) and the cranks are indeed lower-spec Evolve XC. RaceFace wins for looks every time, but I somehow don't think this would happen to Shimano cranks that easily, I prefer their 'ahead-set'-style clamping mechanism.
    Sven

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Loose RaceFace X-Type cranks – shot spline?’ is closed to new replies.