Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Loose fitting merino tops
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Does anyone make a loose fitting merino top? Pretty much all the ones I’ve seen are baselayers and therefore are more fitted, and the looser ones tend to have pocket on the back like the Endura BaaBaa short sleeve one.

What I’m after is a regular fitting short sleeve top made from merino. Something with a fit like this but made from merino. Does anyone make such a thing?

BadlyWiredDog

What, a merino wool tee shirt? EDZ for cheap-ish, Icebreaker and Smartwool all do them. Or for a better wicking option, Rab’s new MeCo stuff is a mix of merino and and Cocona, got all the basic merino pluses but also wicks better and dries much faster.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve just got a nice Ben Moon one (on sale at snow and rock). Black with red sleeves (short sleeves).

scruff
    Free Member

I got 2 Sugoi ones which are looseish and easily up to standard of Howies stuff

rootes1

What I’m after is a regular fitting short sleeve top made from merino. Something with a fit like this but made from merino. Does anyone make such a thing?

I have two of these:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-MED-MER.htm

great item – and comes with 5 days from NZ

they do other stuff as well

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I have two of these:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-MED-MER.htm

great item – and comes with 5 days from NZ

they do other stuff as well

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products-MER.htm%5Bb%5D* NB[/b]

*…and unfortunately, guaranteed to fall to bits within 6 months if my experience with two of their merino-blend tops is anything to go by.. 🙁

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Its not short sleeved I bought a Finisterre Eddy 1/4 zip top for biking and skiing. I’m a bit overweight but its still not too tight. A bit pricey but a really impressive top actually.

No experience of any other tops though!

vimto
    Free Member

how about howies vail … a merino wool t-shirt?

rootes1

* NB
    *…and unfortunately, guaranteed to fall to bits within 6 months if my experience with two of their merino-blend tops is anything to go by..

fall to bits? fabric or stitching?

well I have had one of mine for two years + had a baked alaska of theirs for 3 years… obviously did not get the same guarantee as you! 😉

all fine – very happy with stuff from GE

Did you tell them / show them about yours?

slugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got three Smartwool ones (all large) and they’re all loose fitting. I’ve also got a large Endura BaaBaa and it’s a bit more snug so Smartwool might be worth a punt.

I tried on a Decathlon one on a recent visit there and it was a loose fit but it had seams that went all over the place and got caught on my ever increasing torso hair 🙁

brassneck

My Smartwool GE stuff has been going strong for about 8 years, not got any Merino though.

FOG

I have had Ground Effect merino tops for 4-5 years and wear them through the winter and they have survived very well apart fom a tear on a sleeve caused by me hurling myself on a rock, not their fault.

steelfan
    Free Member

Here you go.
    I have a few of these and they are excellent plus great value.
    I have a 40-42 inch chest and the large fits me perfectly.
    Bspoke Russell Merino Half Zip Top

Sorry not short sleeve though but I guess you could cut them off!!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

rootes1: fall to bits? fabric or stitching?

I’ve had two of their Median strip short sleeve jerseys – one of which was replaced under ‘goodwill’. In both cases the fabric has practically disintegrated within 6 months use. Each time, on the back area, where my camelbak / rucksack has been resting the fabric has ‘thinned’ and stretched, losing all the merino from the synthetic base. Last time I contacted them about this they told me that sweat/wear/whatever will eventually cause the merino fibres to disintegrate over time, but as a goodwill gesture they’d send me a new one. …6 months later, exactly the same problem. I’ve owned synthetic-merino stuff from other companies, with no similar issues.

As a result I can’t really be bothered with this anymore. £70 for a top that lasts 6 months – helpful company, or not – is not really worth it IMO.

Otherwise I love GE – I have a FlashGordon waterproof jacket of theirs that I’ve used incessantly for the last 2 1/2 years with no worries. It’s just the merino-blend stuff that I wouldn’t bother with anymore.

clubber
    Free Member

I have one of these:

http://www.embersmerino.com/mens/SS-Inflight-Merino-Baselayer_p94.htm

I reckon it’s exactly what you’re after. See my comment in the other thread on wool kit.

I’ll add though that there’s massive variation in the toughness of wool – some gains holes when you look at it. The one I linked above has two years of very regular usage and washing and doesn’t have a mark (though the colour has faded a bit).

johnhe

I bought an icebreaker top from Cotswold which is a t-shirt fit.

rootes1

rootes1: fall to bits? fabric or stitching?

no_eyed_deer – wrote
    I’ve had two of their Median strip short sleeve jerseys – one of which was replaced under ‘goodwill’. In both cases the fabric has practically disintegrated within 6 months use. Each time, on the back area, where my camelbak / rucksack has been resting the fabric has ‘thinned’ and stretched, losing all the merino from the synthetic base. Last time I contacted them about this they told me that sweat/wear/whatever will eventually cause the merino fibres to disintegrate over time, but as a goodwill gesture they’d send me a new one. …6 months later, exactly the same problem. I’ve owned synthetic-merino stuff from other companies, with no similar issues.

As a result I can’t really be bothered with this anymore. £70 for a top that lasts 6 months – helpful company, or not – is not really worth it IMO.

Otherwise I love GE – I have a FlashGordon waterproof jacket of theirs that I’ve used incessantly for the last 2 1/2 years with no worries. It’s just the merino-blend stuff that I wouldn’t bother with anymore.

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Interesting… you see I tend not to use a backpack / camelbak if i can at all help it as they do tend to damage clothes – I had a gore waterproof that was damaged by my commuting back pack – now i use a pannier..

as i said one of my median stip is two year old and going fine.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I bought a ‘golfing’ Merino top from Decathlon in the sale, for seventeen pounds.

It’s ok. Nowt amazing in terms of fit and quality, but it does it’s job very well.

I don’t use it for golf.

simon_g

Icebreaker do plenty. Expensive but great quality IME (helps that I go to NZ semi-regularly and stock up at the outlet shop!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Loose fitting merino tops’ is closed to new replies.