Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Loopy juice (cider related)
  • z1ppy

Found a dangerous one last night, local pub has been re-opened as a proper beer pub (village was crying out for it). As I'm not a real man 😛 , I drink cider (pretend stuff for the most part 😳 ) but was introduced last night to Thatchers Cheddar Valley, and by god it's a leg opener. They have some nuclear cider/scrumpy in another pub down the canal, but by god after a slurp you know you've drunk it, it's a bit grim (IMO of course).
    The cheddar valley has the proper flavour but none of the normal scrumpy after bite, and it very quaffable, so much so you might not notice the 6% getting you very pished.
    :mrgreen:

Yay for a decent pub!

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/products/draught/cheddarvally/

pjt201
    Free Member

i also like the colour of cheddar valley.

Keva
    Free Member

i love cider but after 3 pints of 6% apple juice i'm quite done for and should really start to be looking for the way home. Stowford Press is a nice pub cider at a more quaffable 4.5%. I tend to save the srong stuff for when I'm drinking at home and can't be nuisance be anyone 😆

Kev

simonlovell999
    Free Member

try westons old rosie at 7.3%. Its good stuff, goes down well and after 3 pints!!!

z1ppy

bugger having 3/4pints I had to drive this morning 😯 , had one pint and swapped back to the strongbow before I got out of hand.

therealhoops
    Free Member

scrumpy is where it's at! a flagon of Cripplecock and bolloxed for the follwoing week.

mmmmmmmmm

TRH (plimuff buoy)

edit: honnest advertising

luke
    Free Member

Mix Westons scrump with there pear perry half and half, thats a nice mix.

walla24
    Free Member

diesel is what yee need! 8%

or for very strong but tasty go for Henry Westons Vintage Reserve 8.4%…

cant wait to get back to the cider bar in devon!

z1ppy

diesel, had a few pints of that @ poly, ooohh bad head time for-sure

walla24
    Free Member

indeed, it makes for a very cheap night 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

descend in to porlock.

drink cheddar valley.

good times.

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Thatchers is bloody great but Moles "Black Rat" is the one…. and i quote the landlord at my local cider house (Black Horse, Clapton in Gordano) – "it does funny things to you"!

There's even a local sportive named after it http://www.blackratcycle.co.uk/section.php/15/1/bristol … 😆

deluded
    Free Member

peasnotwar,

I've had many an evening on the Black Rat down at the Kicker. Makes cycling up Naish Hill after an amusing but gut wrenching experience.

I recall a summers evening having indulged a bit too much on the rat and getting slightly pished riding down the Bridleway that runs from Cadbury Camp Lane down to the golf course. Senses impaired, I over-cooked at a section near the top and collided with a boundary fence and nearly ripped one of my ears off.

Mendip Magic is a lively one as well.

TooTall
    Free Member

For the Bristolians, Humpers is the off license for the discerning cider drinker – about 6 on draught including Cheddar, Westons and Janet's Jungle Juice – all mental and lovely.

Moses

Where's Humper's ?

I like Weston's perry when I can get it. It's got that acetaldehyde taste, too much acidity, but it goes down wel..

So do I

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Well it wouldn't be a proper ride "West country stylee" if someone didn't lose an ear….. would it! 😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

My old mans local Penrhyn Arms, PnrhynSide, if you're ever in North Wales, always has great ciderz.

http://www.penrhynarms.com/

keeps winning awards for their zeiders and perrys. My dad asked John to give me a glass of the "stuff" beneath the bar. It was in a big white plastic container, some sorta scrumpy. I asked him how strong it was. "could be anthing between 7 and 12%".

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Mendip Magic is worth a go too, have that at the Blue Flame near Nailsea, great on a warm summer evening after ride quaffing session, then ride home a bit wobbly.

yunki
    Free Member

thatchers traditional for me.. I have to have a dash in the first couple of pints.. ginger or blackcurrant.. otherwise the finish is a bit too rough and sulphurous.. I'm usually not too bothered by the third or fourth pint though.. another all time great cider where the abv can (alledgedly) vary between 6 and 8% proof and thats just during the course of a barrel!

very character building

edit: and about £1.50 a pint

rOcKeTdOg

where is the pub?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Merrydown special reserve will be making a return to the post ride section of the fridge soon 😛

Or you could try THIS PLACE if you're down this way.

z1ppy

The Cross in Kinver RD

tyger
    Free Member

I love Cider but it's £3.30 a pint in my local – ouch!

TooTall
    Free Member

Moses

Humpers
    26 Soundwell Road
    Bristol BS16 4QW

Looks like nothing from the outside – they have the plastic containers there or take your own. Prices vary between £1-20 a pint and £1-60 for the reet fancy stuff.

RustyMac

By far from a cider connoisseur, however the most potent and pleasurable stuff I can find in Aberdeen is Addlestons cloudy cider, it is claimed to be still fermenting in the cask when delivered to the pub. General thought is the darker the pint the stronger it is, and when it starts at close to 6% it can get pretty strong stuff indeed.

MrAgreeable

Cheddar Valley is OK, just steer clear of Cheddar Valley Dry – it's like drinking flourescent orange penicillin while licking a battery. 🙂

z1ppy

mmmmmm will look out for that. 😐

deluded
    Free Member

Holy Christ – now the Flame has had a mention. Micks purple barrels of Thatchers Gold have ruined a few rides home.

odannyboy
    Free Member

john thatchers vintage 2009 in sainsburys recently. so quoffable and 7.4 percent i belive 😯

+1 for old rosie, gets me giggling in no time! WAAHAY! 😆

singlespeedstu

Rocketdog.

If you like cider have a trip to the Cider House at Quatt and have a go on the special….

bristolbiker
    Free Member

For the Bristolians…. I wandered in to the Coronation Tap for the first time in many years a few weeks ago, and their Exhibition cider was still pre-poured into half-pint cups behind the bar waiting to infect who-ever was man enough 🙂 Tried a few of these and some fo the other local loon-juice in the barrels. Don't remember getting home, and it was a school night. Wife not happy 😉

deluded
    Free Member

Corry Tap, another classic. The Apple on Welsh Back is OK for a cider brew.

backhander
    Free Member

HUMPERS!
    I've been going there for 18 years!
    DO NOT try to pet the rottweilers.
    Just off of the main crossing in staple hill, head towards kingswood and it's at the bottom of the first hill.
    Where do you normally drink tootall?

TooTall
    Free Member

Well, buying from an offy, at home!
    I'm Emersons Green way so only really been to the Bridge Inn and a couple of other places around there.

backhander
    Free Member

I'm in Mangotsfield. Drop us a line if you fancy a pint sometime.
    The Bridge is a colourful place is it not?
    Sounds like you're wisely avoiding that horrible plastic pub in EG. Forget the name.

TooTall
    Free Member

that horrible plastic pub in EG.

Went once on fact-finding mission. Formed judgement. Won't go back.

The Mill Stone. Ugh.

backhander
    Free Member

Ugh.

Describes it quite nicely. Couldn't have put it better myself.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.

we went to sample the cider at the Cross today.

i thought it was rank but manda liked it enought to have "quite a few".

Hic.

The pub's so much nicer now though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Basically, anything by Thatchers of Sandford e.g. Traditional, Mendip Magic, single variety bottled etc, is bl00dy brilliant. Unlike a lot of farm stuff which reeks of alcohol, or gassy metallic tasting factory brands, Thatchers stuff tastes so fresh and appley you just don't realise how drunk you are getting.

I get bottle Addleston's Cloudy from a mate who works at Gaymers of Shepton Mallet – dead cheap, and it's al-right for factory cider. In fact I'm just off to get one out the 'fridge right now.

z1ppy

Stu, pub is great now, & has lots of other ales to try if you didn't get on with the thatchers, just hope the pub starts getting regular business & is able to make a profit & stay open (it's been so-so for the last few years). Apparently the thatchers has been going down well with the ladies, no wonder I enjoyed it 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Loopy juice (cider related)’ is closed to new replies.