Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Loops in Marlborough (Wilt) HELP?
  • sanct
    Free Member

A friend has just moved into Marlborough, doesn't know the area.
    We plan to go on a flat warming pedal tomorrow. Anyone know the area and can suggest a good loop or two? Starting in Marlborough or driving out a little is cool. Cheers in advance.

saladdodger
    Free Member

ok bear with me I have not ridden there for about 5 years

Go (ride) out of Marlborough on the HackpenHill rd as you go past the common and drop down the hill on the S bends there is a track on the r/h side you cannot miss it this goes up to Barbury castle
    Get to the castle and go over the top of it
    then cross the road and follow the track to Hackpen Hill
    Cross the road and follow the track for about 3 miles when you come to a crossroads in the track right is to Avebury, go left over the fields to Fifield Down follow that track and it takes you back to Marlborough

Not the best of riding but it is easily accessable 15 mile loop

btw there is a club in swindon that would be worth a look they appear to be doing good things to the Croft Woods

http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/club/

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not the best time of year for MTBing round N Wilts. Incredibly claggy mud usually spoils the ride so in winter I usually stick to road riding but here goes..

Take the Marlborough- Swindon cycleway (its unsurfaced so technically off road). Just before Ogbourne St George turn right up the hill at SO 201 733 until you get to the Ridgeway. Turn left and follow the Ridgeway to Liddington Hill. Then cross the B4192 and pick up the bridle way over Sugar Hill to Aldbourne. From Aldbourne either take the country lane to Whitesard Bottom at SU232 737 then BOAT to Warren Farm and take the best down hill in the area starting at SO 206 722 down to Ogbourne St Andrew and take the cycle way back to Marlborough, or from Aldbourne take the bridleway to Ramsbury and then take the bridleway along the Kennet to Stitchcombe and then climb on lane and bridleway up towards the telecoms mast then drop down to Marlborough or just take lanes from Stitchcombe back to Marlborough.

sanct
    Free Member

Cheers peeps.
    Much appreciated.
    A muddy adventure it is.
    🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

Agreed it is clagsville this time of year 😥

I must admit I do not miss the clay

cinnamon_girl

We need another Wiltshire Forum Ride 😀

Calling Gilles/Count Zero/RichPenny 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Loops in Marlborough (Wilt) HELP?’ is closed to new replies.