Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Looper
  • samuri
    Free Member

Watched it last night and I quite enjoyed it. Obviously it’s filled with holes as most time travel films are but just checking if I missed something or not.

Near the start he tells us it’s hard to get rid of bodies in the future, and yet when Bruce is collected to terminate the loop they clip his wife and burn the house down…… Have I missed something or is that actually a huge hole?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I think the point is that the Rainmaker has got things sewn up to the extent that him and his henchies don’t have to worry about it. Only other people ordering hits need to worry about covering their tracks.

willard

Maybe they actually wanted the bodies to be seen as a warning or something.

You’re right though, t’was a good film.

shermer75
    Free Member

SPOILER:

The bit that haunts me the most is when you see Paul Dano’s future self escaping over a fence only to see a message carved into his arm and various body parts disappearing. He then rushes back to where the bits are being carved off his present self so they can shoot him in the head and end the suffering. Chilling!!

DrP

^^
    That got me too…
    At first I wondered how they ‘timed the scarring’, but then realised ‘Paul Dano’ was being cut up in ‘real time’, and the scar would appear on his future self there and then.

But cutting off his nose – euch…

DrP

footflaps

That bit was pretty grim, made me squirm in my seat….

theflatboy
    Free Member

agreed. his legs too. dark.

Pigface
    Free Member

I am going to have to revisit this as I didn’t rate it at all.

Dolcered

Quite enjoyed it. In these time travel films where they get in a “pod”, where does it go?

Saw end of watch over the weekend too, also liked that.

theflatboy
    Free Member

My main annoyance, as with most time travel films, is that this is one where you travel through time and end up in “exactly the same spot”. Obviously if you actually did end up in “exactly the same spot”, you’d pop out in the middle of empty space, while the Earth merrily continued its orbit thousands of miles away from you.

clubber
    Free Member

Or near the end, he could have just shot his hand/arm off though I guess killing himself made sure of the job.

And why actually get Loopers to shoot their own future self anyway? Someone else would be a much better bet.

TBH my biggest issue with the film was that ‘young bruce’ didn’t look like Bruce but because he didn’t look like the guy he actually is either, I found it a constant distraction.

klumpy
    Free Member

Near the start he tells us it’s hard to get rid of bodies in the future, and yet when Bruce is collected to terminate the loop they clip his wife and burn the house down…… Have I missed something or is that actually a huge hole?

I thought it was, but then again the killing of his wife wasn’t planned, it was almost an accident.

And why actually get Loopers to shoot their own future self anyway? Someone else would be a much better bet.

Well, they don’t know they’re being closed until after the deed is done, and it makes giving them the money nice and easy.

Oh, warning spoilers etc.

DrP

TBH my biggest issue with the film was that ‘young bruce’ didn’t look like Bruce but because he didn’t look like the guy he actually is either, I found it a constant distraction.

Watch the extra bits on the DVD – a lot of effort and makeup went into making the guy from Third rock look and behave like Bruce..

So, Clubber, I’m afraid you’re wrong, as a mooovie man told me otherwise….

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

I know! I had to pause the film part way through and look it up as it was bothering me so much! They spend loads of time and effort to make him look like someone else but unfortunately not the same someone else as the person he was meant to be!

zilog6128

Watch the extra bits on the DVD – a lot of effort and makeup went into making the guy from Third rock look and behave like Bruce..

Not seen the extras but I agree with both of you – I thought JGL looked very much like a young BW “might” have looked. Thought he captured the mannerisms pretty well too, but because he kept doing the classic “bruce willis face” (which I thought he did well) I actually found that very distracting because it was so obviously contrived (and you’re not used to that actor pulling that kind of face).

Good film BTW. Worth a watch. Just try not to think about all the time-travel guff too much because it really makes very little sense!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I also agree. The fact that you knew they had gone to the effort to try to create the likeness was far more distracting than if they’d just left him as is, as I was constantly trying to decide whether I could see a resemblance or not!

footflaps

I really liked the ending. Very enjoyable film all in.

lilchris
    Free Member

theflatboy

My main annoyance, as with most time travel films, is that this is one where you travel through time and end up in “exactly the same spot”.I agree with your dislike, but are you sure in this one!!
    Bruce is in China when they take him, but is sent to Joseph in the States…

If you guys don’t like plot flaws in time travel movies, don’t watch “Deja Vu”. A truely aweful film!!

clubber
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed Deja Vu 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

lilchris – Member

theflatboy

My main annoyance, as with most time travel films, is that this is one where you travel through time and end up in “exactly the same spot”.
    I agree with your dislike, but are you sure in this one!!

Actually, I think you’re right – this isn’t one of the “exact same spot” efforts!

atlaz
    Free Member

I agree with your dislike, but are you sure in this one!!

I have decided that if I can suspend belief and accept they can time travel people in films, that extras like ensuring they land on earth or somewhere else on earth are obviously part of the technology.

lilchris
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed Deja Vu

I like the bit were Denzel points a laser pen at a monitor 😆

clubber
    Free Member

I never said I liked the science 🙂

Funny though as science fails usually annoy me.

footflaps

Don’t think I’ve seen Deja Vu, will have to download it……

_tom_
    Free Member

Thought it was good until the utterly gash ending.

Northwind

I thought the big thing about Looper was that they were prepared to make such a horrendous character as Joe so sympathetic… Bruce Willis hunting down and murdering kids can’t have been an easy pitch.

I thought it was brilliant tbh. Not perfect, but still brilliant. Managed to keep me engaged enough to not go looking for holes, which is what I’d normally do.

CountZero

Northwind, +1
    Nothing more to add to that.

nickc

What do we want? ….Time Travel.

When do we want it? …It’s irrelevant

You’re watching a film about time travel, and you trying to pick holes in the science of it….riiiight.

Superman films must drive you round the bend, right?

footflaps

On a time traveling front, really enjoyed The Time Traveler’s Wife – not an action movie as such, but still a great film.

footflaps

We just watched Deja Vu, realised part way I had seen it before, but had forgotten it completely. See what you mean about the plot holes!

lilchris
    Free Member

We just watched Deja Vu, realised part way I had seen it before

I see what you did there!

footflaps

😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can’t believe no-one has mentioned how creepy the kid was!

Mind, I could stand being locked in a safe with Emily Blunt.

footflaps

I did think it was a bit risky locking yourself in a safe, just in case it locked itself…..

vorlich
    Free Member

Guess I’m the only one who found it boring. Missus liked it though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just got round to watching it last night, in a red wine induced haze on my flight home.

I rather enjoyed it. OK, so as others have said, full of holes and a bit obvious at times, but some really lovely touches like the Mx5 and “your ties”. The little kid was super-creepy, the stuff of nightmares and as for that nose/arms/etc scene. EEEK.

I’d also really agree with the excellent way the two Joes looked like one another.

I seem to have broken my plane-film-duck, as I usually pick absolute duds. This was a pretty good one!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Looper’ is closed to new replies.