Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Looks like this was put together by the Top Gear Team.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Spotted this chained to the railings at Cromer today. I’m not sure it will catch on.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pFfBrW]Untitled[/url] by ian_warnes, on Flickr

I’m genuinely curious why someone would go to all this trouble and then not put a drop of oil on the chain.

BB

legend
    Free Member

just the latest petrol-assist bike innit. Don’t be a hater

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Not a hater at all. I waited for as long as I could to try to talk to the rider but unfortunately he/she did not return before I had to get away.

I’ve always quite like the eccentric and quirky fabrications (bike or otherwise) that people cobble together in their sheds.

That said, I wouldn’t want a rusty old chain like that flying around near my crown jewels!

BB

steveh

You can (or could anyway) by that as a kit off ebay to retrofit to anything.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I wonder what the ‘assistance’ is like compared to an old velo-solex or even a derny bike? I think i would like more than v brakes and a larger contact patch on my front tyre to be slowing that lot down…

smatkins1
    Free Member

You laugh now, but this guy will be stealing all your KOMs soon!

winston
    Free Member

80cc 2 stroke conversion from ebay – £100, chain oil extra obviously

gwaelod
    Free Member

Be better as a 29er

boxelder

sure it will catch on fire

Sandwich

That’s NFN!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Not just NFN – Couple of years ago I was stood having a mid-ride rest, taking in the very Yorkshire view from Wharncliffe Crags when three lads bounced past me riding machines very much like that.

cookeaa

I notice there’s no chain on the drive side, suggesting the owner doesn’t fancy classing it as a moped, doesn’t that technically make it a motorcycle?

anyway, imagine the possibilities…

madeupname
    Free Member

Similar idea, must be built for stravaaaaaaaah!

Another ebay monster

PS why do so many dodgy bikes show up as ‘women’s fragrances’?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

There is a guy in sheffield who I’ve seen once on the road and also in je James who has a full suss with an engine
    You can’t miss him in his full on dh gear.
    Kinda looks like a knight

scruff9252

I’ll be honest, the geeky engineer in me is intrigued with this motor kit. What are the legal, licence & insurance (ignoring death and critical injury cover, natch) ramifications?

winston
    Free Member

Pretty much illegal in every way unless you are using it on private ground or you have it registered, mot’d etc. Even then you would need L plates and a CBT.

monkeyp

That is so weird – I spotted that the other weekend whilst we were around there for a short break. Pointed it out to the missus, but she didn’t appreciate it 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

If it’s got an 80cc motor as suggested, then that already makes it a motorcycle, hence you have all the licensing and insurance requirements for that. Though first you’d presumably have to get it through whatever type approval testing is required to take a motorcycle on the road. I think the requirement to have pedal drive (and the difference it makes to the classification) was dropped a long time ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Looks like this was put together by the Top Gear Team.’ is closed to new replies.