Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Looks like I'm moving to Solihull
  • rhid

I have been offered a job in Solihull which means moving there from Snowdonia…

Are there any clubs or groups on here who wouldnt mind me tagging along?

I thought about Birmingham Uni club as I am keen to carry on riding as much DH as I can. I figure they would have a few DHers, but at nearly 40 someone said I may be a bit old.

Any suggestions would be great!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Time for a road bike

tony07
    Free Member

I’ve just moved to moseley myself so pretty much in the same boat. Looks like regular trips to Cannock and to north Wales on the cards!

singlespeedstu

There are DH tracks in Kinver and Ribbesford which aren’t too far away.

rhid

Tony07 – When I move I will give you a shout? Email me on rhid14@hotmail.com

Good to know about the tracks. I will continue to look for DH riding buddies!

igm

On the plus side, easy to pop into that there Cycle Show at the NEC once a year

shindiggy
    Free Member

Cannock, Ribbesford, kinver are all less than an hours drive. Peak District in 2 hours, time for a cross bike and explore Warwickshire bridal ways?

mrmoofo

I grew up there … spent about 13 years of my life there. Good place to grow up …. but never really been back!!

maxray
    Free Member

I live up the road from Moseley, Cannock is the staple and in recent years cx bike canal/path rides out to the Lickeys and Clent.

rOcKeTdOg

Snowdonia to solihull? I’d be gutted!

Some nice quiet lanes for road biking & some horrendously busy ones to avoid. Not a lot of off road on your doorstep like wales but those aforementioned busy roads can get you somewhere mildly interesting pretty quick

LeeW

Cannock, Ribbesford, kinver are all less than an hours drive. Peak District in 2 hours, time for a cross bike and explore Warwickshire bridal ways?

Have lived in Solihull since I came back from Singapore, it’s flat with very little in the way of off road riding. But if you don’t mind getting on the motorway you can get to Cannock/Kinver in around an hour. Never really ridden the Lickey hills so can’t comment on those.

Road biking is ok, if you don’t mind it being flat. Lot’s of lanes etc to get you out in to the more rolling Warwickshire countryside – It’s not really hilly to be honest. (As I’ve found anyway).

jekkyl

stile cop at Cannock, racers guild do the events and building I believe: http://www.racersguild.co.uk/

emac65
    Free Member

Nothing in Solihull worth getting your MTB out for but Cannock Chase is 45-60mins away & there’s a fair bit to go at there other than just the monkey/FTD trails. There’s some downhill at Stile Cop too

SirHC

Plenty to ride round cannock that isn’t the Dog and Monkey. Ludlow isn’t far away (Bringewood and Bucknell DH Tracks)

rhid

Thanks for all the info. I’m a little bit familiar with Cannock and enjoyed it when I rode there.

There is a possibility I could end up in Newcastle instead which may be a bit better. Not sure as yet.

kayak23

Nah not Cannock. Shrops is the place.
    Bucknell, Bringewood, Hopton, Eastridge, Wrekin, all within about the same-ish as Cannock.
    (I live in Leamington Spa)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Joking apart the area is teeming with roadies every time I go up (family nearby)

LMT
    Free Member

I’m not far from Solihull, always lived on the edge. As above Cannock is easy to get to, I tend to get the train from Olton into Birmingham Moor Street and then a quick cycle/walk to New Street then the train to Hednesford.

I do road ride more and more, my route is Hall Green out to Earlswood via Alcester Road, then on to Packwood House, some days I head to warwick others stratford and if I need a quick 30 mile blast I tend to head back via knowle.

Quite a few cycling clubs for the road but only Solihull CC being the official one, but Red Kite and Dynamic Rides both do weekend and evening rides from the shops. You can quite quickly get into the countryside takes me about 20 mins and I’m away from the city.

bensales
    Free Member

Solihull CC are the peeps to speak to

Solihull CC

djflexure

I live just outside Solihull in Dorridge. Snowdonia to Solihull is going to take a bit of adjustment.
    As others have said there are plenty of decent trails but all involve a trip in the car.

West is Clent, Kinver, Wyre is good @ an hour, Long Mynd 90 mins.
    South – Cotswolds (hour)
    North – Cannock (40mins), Peaks (90mins)

So its varied if you can be bothered to drive.
    There are lots of canals on the doorstep and bits of bridleway to link up. Gets a bit muddy in winter but thats what we have single speeds for 😀

The road riding is pretty sweet – I go out with Solihull CC – its a big club with lots of options. Friendly, some of the roadies even drink beer.

I know Wyre pretty well and would be happy to show you what is on the doorstep too. Might encourage me to get out on my mtb instead of just riding on the road. If you just want some tips to explore yourself I can send some GPX or you could look at my Strava. I used to do a night ride at Wyre, the guy’s I rode with don’t go anymore but there is a Facebook group (Clent Duffers) with plenty of people riding (when its not a bog).

mrmoofo

The Malverns are pretty close – why have they not been mentioned?

LeeW

mrmoofo – Member

The Malverns are pretty close – why have they not been mentioned?

I dunno, but it’s an outrage 🙂

I’ve not ridden with Solihull CC, workmates do the cross riding with them and I ride on the road with them as the SCC rides don’t really fit time wise.

goog
    Free Member

I’m in Solihull and the ridings crap unless you have a roadie. As already mentioned Shropshire has heaps of good riding and isn’t too far away for a days DH/XC/Uplift etc … If youre very unlucky and end up working in Brum gimme a shout. email in profile.

singlespeedstu

Clent Duffers

What ever happened to Mick.
    Is he not still taking innocent victims into the Wyre never to be seen again?
    😆
    Rhid.
    If you want showing round on a trail ride over Kinver or Clent give us a shout.

scruff9252

Moving to Solihul? My condolences.

Been a couple of times, best visit we got half bricks thrown at us from the young team who were above us on a bridge / high wall. Apparently it was the nice part too.

Anytime work send’s me to Birmingham / Solihul there I’m in & out in the day, no stay overs.

Hope it’s a good job!

bails

Is he not still taking innocent victims into the Wyre never to be seen again?

Was that Mick who I think used to meet at the Duke pub for night rides? I was supposed to be going out with a group (Mick, Chris, Chez, Sarah and some others). When I got to the pub Mick was the only one there. Everyone else had met “on the other side of the forest” apparently. I spent the whole ride wondering if he was actually a murderer with multiple online personalities who’d lured me into a trap!

Obviously I didn’t get murdered, and every Friday he gives us all a few hours on the internet from his basement, so it’s not all bad….

Moving to Solihul? My condolences.

Been a couple of times, best visit we got half bricks thrown at us from the young team who were above us on a bridge / high wall. Apparently it was the nice part too.

Anytime work send’s me to Birmingham / Solihul there I’m in & out in the day, no stay overs

Doesn’t sound like Solihull, sounds like an wishful Tyseley/Chelmsley Wood (CHEMBO!) resident told you they live in Solihull 😉

ThePinkster

A few years ago Red Kite Cycles in Shirley used to run a ride up on the chase on (IIRC) Thursday evenings. might be worth popping in there and having a chat with them.

Not been in myself for a while now but they used to be very helpful folks.

scruff9252

Doesn’t sound like Solihull, sounds like an wishful Tyseley/Chelmsley Wood (CHEMBO!) resident told you they live in Solihull

It was definitely Solihull. The house I stayed at was lovely (as in anywhere else it would be worth mega money) but the occupants had been burgled that often they locked EVERY internal door when they went to bed at night. I went for a smoke before bed one night and had to undo in the region of 7-10 locks to get out the bloody place.

singlespeedstu

Obviously I didn’t get murdered

Are you sure? I recon you’re Mick pretending to be you…
    I heard he never let any of his victims out alive.

bails

It was definitely Solihull

I reckon it was somewhere in Handsworth but they’d put a “welcome to sullyhol” sign up 😉

Are you sure? I recon you’re Mick pretending to be you…

No I’m he’s not.

djflexure

He became a roadie.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Looks like I'm moving to Solihull’ is closed to new replies.