Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Looks like Hamilton might be demoted again (F1)
  • druidh
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

Still can’t see it
    The only time that Trulli could have legally taken the place back was if Hamilton was obviously in trouble, even if he had slowed to let Trulli back through, Trulli couldn’t have – legally – taken the place

His only argument was that Hamilton was acting as if he was obviously in trouble.
    It doesn’t really matter if he was driving off line & slow though

The rules say about overtaking under the safety car ………

– if a car is signalled to do so from the safety car ;

– under 40.15 below ;

– any car entering the pits may pass another car or the safety car remaining on the track after it has crossed the first safety car line ;

– any car leaving the pits may be overtaken by another car on the track before it crosses the second safety car line ;

– when the safety car is returning to the pits it may be overtaken by cars on the track once it has crossed the first safety car line ;

– any car stopping in its designated garage area whilst the safety car is using the pit lane (see 40.10 below) may be overtaken ;

– if any car slows with an obvious problem.’

coogan
    Free Member

Is there any other sport that has so many appeals, rule changes, demotions, penalties, arguments used and changed every year?

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Who cares? The “sport” has become a farce.

Pook

I care, and the sport hasn’t become a farce. Rule have changed to put the driver more at the centre of the sport than the computers, which can only be a good thing. Yesterday we saw a great race, with some very good driving skills on show. Exactly what F1 is all about. If you don’t understand the sport fully it’s difficult to know how the changes have made a world of difference.
    I couldn’t, for example, care less, nor have enough knowledge about how much difference silver or golden goals make in a game of football, so I don’t comment on it.
    Yesterday there were some amazing driving skills on show, and many not so amazing skills. Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg putting overtaking moves on people round the outside of the corners was pretty awe inspiring bearing in mind they were travelling at some 170kph.
    The rules were broken by Trulli. He was unfortunate that he’s been penalised as much as he has, and i expect an appeal will lessen the penalty, but not by much.
    I, for one, am very happy after yesterday’s race, and I enjoyed the spectacle – which by rights, I think is what it is all about.

If it’s not to your taste, watch something else.

the_lecht_rocks

pook – i’m with ya !
    i’ve had a 5 year sabbatical from F1 until last season – this season will be even better.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a shame that the excitement surrounding F1 comes from rule loopholes and such like, rather than plain good old racing !

Pook

Did you watch the race yesterday Trimix? Cracking racing.

Lootenant
    Free Member

Maybe with some new teams at the front the Mclaren witch hunts will stop this year. Some hope with F1 politics..

But I think yesterday’s race had more wheel to wheel racing and overtaking than all of last season put together.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I still alway watch F1 despite the shenanighans & politicing, it’s a great way to get the kids out of the front room so I can have a sunday afternoon nap.

I do stay awake for the MotoGP tho. proper racing, with overtaking sportsmanship & no pit stop bollocks.
    you race till the race is won.

well, unless it rains 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I would like F1, but they still do that ‘put the fastest man in the fastest car RIGHT AT THE FRONT OF THE JEFFING RACE‘ rubbish!

If it was about overtaking, and driving skills, and actual competition, then putting the leader AT THE BACK ON THE GRID would make sense, and stop it being the stupid procession it has become.

nickc

I would like F1, but they still do that ‘put the fastest man in the fastest car RIGHT AT THE FRONT OF THE JEFFING RACE’ rubbish!

Like every other form of motor racing does…

andywhit
    Free Member

>Like every other form of motor racing does…

Give the lad a chance 😉 Touring cars do a “reverse grid” thing for later races but obviously they have multiple races in one day so it makes more sense.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Pook,in fairness,I never watch F1. Motorbike racing is more to my taste,although Moto GP is going down the same slippery slope as F1, launch control,traction control etc,etc… World Superbikes and even more so Supersport are where the real action is,now.

crikey
    Free Member

‘Every other’ form of motor racing doesn’t seem to need to fanny about with the rules and regulations to ‘encourage more overtaking’ or to ‘make it more exciting’.

F1 has been a farce for years; it’s not a race if you put the fastest man at the front, it’s a procession.

These are the fastest, most technologically advanced cars in the world, so why do they have to tinker with the rules?

Because the whole idea of putting the fastest at the front is fundamentally flawed…..

atlaz
    Free Member

If, as the article suggests (alledged source, Hamilton), McLaren told Hamilton to let Trulli back in front of him then the FIA should give Trulli his 3rd place back.

uplink
    Free Member

If, as the article suggests (alledged source, Hamilton), McLaren told Hamilton to let Trulli back in front of him then the FIA should give Trulli his 3rd place back.

That would be against the rules – any radio conversations are/were available to the stewards [as is video footage from both on-board cameras] so you can assume they’ve already taken that into account.

This season looks like it’s going to be a cracker – I reckon at least half the field have a good chance of winning races this year
    I really don’t care who wins & I even quite like all the shenanigans that go on off the track as well as on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I recon Truli should get his 25 seconds back………………..

Trulli has an off behind the safety car and loses a place,

McLaren out of the goodness of their sporting hearts/ingnorance of the rules give hi the place back by taing Lewis well off the line and slowing down, kinda lie truli did, but deliberately…….

If the apeal is rejected then whats to sto the race elader a the next round slaming the brakes on mid way through the last corner after the safety car pull in. Thereby forceing half the field to pass him, and pick up 25 second/dive through penalties?

fisha
    Free Member

personally i think the whole pit stop idea is the problem and i’m bored of the race being won on the pit stop strategy where you pass the person based on time in a pit lane sitting still. passing people should be out on the track.

if that means multi-races a bit like touring cars, then fine.

personally i think 2 shorter races where you have to run a single tank each time and single tyre set per race would mean any passing is done on the track. a 30min pit window in the middle to fuel up, fettle wings and start again would be enough. ( obviously, if you needed to pit for a puncture, new wing etc would be fine, but no fuel etc )

that way the whole race is out on the track for all to see.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

but the BTCC is mass market, glorified banger racing.

nickname
    Free Member

The penalties of late I really don’t agree with. There seem to be very few ‘racing incidents’ that go without a penalty, which I personally think is wrong.

I think in the heat of the moment, at those speeds, a simple ‘sorry my bad’ would do, rather than a whopping fine. Persistent offenders should of course have their shoes wee’d in.

I don’t have anything against putting the fastest guy at the front of the grid either. The grid is usually separated by tenths of a second which is nothing really. A poor start, or a mistake later on in the race can easily put the 1st place guy to the back.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Gotta agree with Fisha – fuel and tyres to last a race – made the b*$tards drive for it. Reduced duration, one race or two, would be better for everyone’s attention span – i find F1 taxing my concentration after a few minutes and regularly drop off in a race. What must it be like for the drivers?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I agree its a bit boring, but you can’t start the fastest from the back, how would it work?

I mean the team discussion goes like this…
    Team leader A, we need to start at the front to give us a chance of winning.

Team driver A, but we need to be slowest in qualifying to do that.

Team leader A, I know that, so we don’t bother in qualifying!

Team driver A, wouldn’t of all the others have thought of that?

Team leader A, no, I’m the cleverest person in F1!

I see your plan, more cunning than a cunning thing that’s cunning, genius, coffee anyone?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

It has become very very very very boring.

sinisterwolf
    Free Member

To make the race fair/interesting, they should make the a track really wide and start them like the 100 metres (side by side), or for humour value, start the race like at Mountain Mayhem (run the first quarter mile to car).
    I don’t think I’ll bother sending my suggestions to Mr. Ecclescake.

chopperT
    Free Member

I have the finest idea, you still run qualifying on Sat.. but instead of determining the grid position, you qualifying place earns you extra balls in the grid lottery, so, you fastest man has say 10 balls, second 8 etc, like points, but everyone has at least one, then the order of draw becomes the grid.
    This means that qualifying is still important, but there is a randomizer to the grid. It would really mix it up without making qualifying pointless.

racemonkey

I thought it was an interesting race everywhere and if all racing incidents were penalised then I guess mr. barrichello would have spent quite a bit of time pootling down the pit lane.

wee-al
    Free Member

I hate all the rule changes to level the field. There hindering technological advancement. They should let the teams spend as much as they want to create the fastest possible cars. As far as safety is concerned the drivers get in the cars of there own free will and are paid handsomely for the privilege. I’m sure they would also welcome the chance to be pioneers.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

wee-al – Thats worked really well for WRC hasn’t it? How many teams are racing this year.

wee-al
    Free Member

I’m talking about free reign group b type stuff. Or like F1 in the eighties when BMW were running 1000BHP from a 1500cc turbo engine in qualifying trim.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So what happens when the smaller teams start struggling to compete due to the rising costs of just leaving the teams to whack on what they want? NOS and big turbos, whilst relatively cheap, will only get you so far. After this those with the deep pockets will pull away due to being able to afford the seriously cutting edge technology. The regulations are as much about preserving a variety of teams as it is about making the racing closer. People complain that F1 is boring now but it would be even worse with only 3 or so teams able to afford to compete, hence my mention of WRC.

uplink
    Free Member
    oomidamon

Seems like a lot of people formed an opinion of F1 during the Schumacher years and are blindly sticking to it. All I’d say is watch it now, it’s much better!

druidh
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Looks like Hamilton might be demoted again (F1)’ is closed to new replies.