Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Looking to get back into mountain biking.
  • ian83
    Free Member

Tried my hand at road riding but it all seems to be about Strava times or riding in a group to a set of rules! Also not keen on the whole tight fitting lycra either!

Decided it might be time to get another mountain bike. Last time I brought a new mountain bike was about 2009 (Specialized Rockhopper Pro) was a great bike and perfect for where i live in Cambridge. I have found a local group of riders who go out twice a week and normally have a pub stop somewhere along the way 🙂

Trying to find something similar to what I had before but in modern terms The choice I have found is a little overwhelming, with new wheel sizes, and choice between regular. semi or fat tyres.

Also should I look to buy new or maybe go second hand to get more for my money.

Had a look about on Pink Bike and someone near me has a Trek Stache 7 for sale its had a few bits changed (1x groupset) but overall looks a good bike.

Most of my riding will be fairly flat area’s mostly bridleway type stuff. I am thinking 29 wheels and around 100-120mm front suspension only?

fd3chris
    Free Member

What you specify for a bike is quite suitable for your area and will cope with a lot more. Maybe after a few months the bug will bite harder and you can also go trail centre etc with it.

km79
    Free Member

Stick a post up on the wanted section of the classifieds on here, someone might have something suitable. Depending on your budget for new/2nd hand there are a lot of options out there. A 29er hardtail with 120mm of travel would be a good all rounder, I personally prefer steel framed options such as the cotic solaris or a stanton sherpa, however aluminium/alloy and carbon options will also be plentiful and in different price ranges.

matt_outandabout

You won’t go far wrong for the riding you describe with one of the Halfords Boardman 29ers – both on sale at daft money, and extra 10% off if you join a British Cycling.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-pro-29er

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-29er

jekkyl

I am thinking 29 wheels and around 100-120mm front suspension only?

sounds perfect for Cambridgeshire.
    What is your budget? do you have all the accesories? helmet, gloves, trail tools, camelbak, decent wicking clothing..

ahwiles
    Free Member

I have found a local group of riders who go out twice a week and normally have a pub stop somewhere along the way

Sounds bloody great! 🙂

ian83
    Free Member

My budget is probably upto £1k. I have helmet and shorts and a top. Need some gloves and a camelbak.

I will have a look at the Boardman as through work I can buy Halfords vouchers for 10% off the face value.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Looking to get back into mountain biking.’ is closed to new replies.