Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Looking to buy an open top (sea) Kayak – any experienced bods out there?
  • Mintyjim

I’m looking buy one soon but have no knowledge about them. I’ve spent plenty of time canoeing and kayaking but have never owned a kayak.

I have a two man canoe but I’m looking to go solo occasionally.

I don’t want to spend too much money so I’ve been looking at this:

http://www.canoe.co.uk/products/382/10ft-sea-going-sit-on-top-kayak-redorange-save-100-free-backrest

I live in Cardigan, West Wales, and it’ll be used on the river Teifi and out into the estuary and some coastal exploration.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

matt_outandabout

Head over to song of the paddle, for great advice and meetups.

Good things, there are a good few on here with them.

Stable, can be re-entered, access to gear etc is good.

Not as efficient, warm or comfortable as an enclosed, longer hulled tourer or sea kayak.

As ever, current, winds and wave are an issue at sea, take care.

rwamartin
    Free Member

MintyJum,
    Got a couple I might be willing to sell. I’m in Maenclochog. Let me know if you’re interested.
    Rich.

PS If nothing else, you’re welcome to take a look and have a try if you want – no obligation.

Mintyjim

Cheers Matt, I’ll take a look. I’m too concerned about efficiency or warmth but comfort might be a concern, although I’m only likely to be out for 2-3 hours tops.

Hi Rich,
    That sounds good. Any chance this evening? I work in Swansea so I could detour to yours on my way home.

Thanks,
    James

rwamartin
    Free Member

Hi James,
    No problem. Come into the village from the south. I’m on the left almost opposite the school. It’s a big white house with a scaffold tower up against the pine end.
    See you when we see you. We’ll have the kettle on.
    Rich.

Mintyjim

Nice one Rich, should be before 6pm.
    Cheers

matt_outandabout

but comfort might be a concern,

They vary a bit. A couple I have used, you sit in a permanent puddle of water. Another one seemed to be bone dry.

To paddle efficiently you need ‘connection’ – and I found I slid around in them all a lot, so using more muscles to ‘stay put’.

Solved with knee straps, good back rest etc – by which time I was almost in a decked boat…

Not too much of an issue for pottering though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Looking to buy an open top (sea) Kayak – any experienced bods out there?’ is closed to new replies.