Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Looking into ways of getting my wifes life story published, help needed!
  • kinda666
    Free Member

IMO my wife has quite an interesting life story, not amazing but all the same folk seem fascinated when they are told about it, and quite a few have said it would make a great book, so I am looking in to ways of making this possible for her.
    She’s not looking for it to be on bookshelves as such so not looking to make any profit or anything, just wondered if anyone on here had done anything similar?
    I assume hiring someone to write it would cost thousands and neither of us have the skills to really write it ourselves!

Thanks in advance

crikey
    Free Member

You are Prince Phillip and my five pounds has your wife on one side.

kinda666
    Free Member

Rumbled 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    badllama
    Free Member

kinda666, why doesn’t she just type up the story and self publish 🙂

kinda666
    Free Member

neither of us have the skills to really write it ourselves!

Or the time really, you should see the mountain of ironing she has 😀

Seriously though she works full time, and barely has time for herself, let alone write a book!

McHamish
    Free Member

You could self publish on Kindle I think.

Or you could set up a blog and she could write about it online, if it gets enough followers perhaps that would be a good indicator that you should approach publishers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Retire?

Viral facebook or twitter campaign would be your best bet – that would get a writer interested.

McHamish
    Free Member

Don’t mean to sound rude, but how are you going to get the story out there if you can’t pay someone to write the book and don’t have the time to write it yourself?

kinda666
    Free Member

I didn’t say I couldn’t pay, just that I expect it would cost a lot (more than it was worth??) and it was more a personal thing to be shared by family and friends.

She’s not looking for it to be on bookshelves as such so not looking to make any profit or anything

I really haven’t got the first idea so was asking for help/opinions etc

tomtomthepipersson

IMO my wife has quite an interesting life story, not amazing but all the same folk seem fascinated when they are told about it, and quite a few have said it would make a great book, so I am looking in to ways of making this possible for her.

It might make a good book but whether it’s interesting enough to sell more than a few copies is a different matter.

If you send me a pm with a few details of your wife’s story i can pass it on to my missus. She writes true life articles for women’s mags so might be able to suggest something – or get it in a mag, get some publicity and see where it goes..

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve read those magazines…

sockpuppet

starting a blog and building it slowly seems to be a good way to get material out there.

if the process proves to be good fun then push on – if not, surely there’s more to life? notes made now might make the process more likely (and accurate) in later years when time presents inself.

kindle/ebook publishing makes this sort of thing possible, but no less time consuming.

give it a bash though, a little at a time?

kinda666
    Free Member

Tomtom I’ll drop you an email after i’ve discussed it with the missus, she what she will allow me to say, like i said in original post its not like she wants to sell books, just get her life story down on paper really, but I would like to ease the burdon of her having to actually spend along time writing it!

kinda666
    Free Member

tomtomthepipersson I can’t see an email addy for you!

kaesae
    Free Member

Let’s hear the story!

kinda666
    Free Member

Wait till it’s in take a break kaesae 😆

nicko74

I’ve read those magazines…

Don’t lie. ‘reading’ is not what you were doing…

arcane
    Free Member

I have honestly read each post in this thread, but I still cannot work out exactly what it is you want.

Surely there is no story to write! This is the story of her life, and she has told it – or pieces of it – to enough people that you know they find it fascinating.

Is it a typist that you actually want?

Perhaps she could record some memories and email the audio files to someone to type it up.

Or do you want a story written based on parts of her life?

tomtomthepipersson

Email should be in my profile now.

kinda666
    Free Member

Is it a typist that you actually want?

Maybe??
    Gonna drop tomtomthepipersson an email later and take it from there!

crikey
    Free Member

Are you going to ask for a flattering description kinda666?

..amazing girth, smouldering eyes, you know the kind of thing..

kinda666
    Free Member

Woooosh sorry crikey thats gone straight over my head! Your not cobba on another forum are you? 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I could be cobba, but the writer would need to make me taller, less bald, faster and I’d appreciate a bit of white lying as regards my attractiveness to women…

I mean when the story gets written, are you going to ask to made a bit of a hero?

Drac

iBooks?

DavidB
    Free Member

As a top 100 selling author on kindle arrogant know-it-all-tonk let me offer my 2p.

Get her to write a 500 word intro and then see how it reads and what people think. If it clearly flies then sort the typist/help/whatever or just get her to do it 500 words at a time. That’s what I did and you’d be surprised how quickly it comes together. You just do it instead of Eastenders.

Personally I think ghost written life stories miss something, it’s words from another person’s mouth rather than the hand of those who lived it.

kinda666
    Free Member

Thanks DavidB, she doesn’t watch eastenders 😀

Corrie and emmerdale maybe though… Sounds like a good plan, got plenty of ideas to talk to the wife about!

kinda666
    Free Member

Crikey I’m already my Wifes hero so that’ll do me fine 😆

crikey
    Free Member

I know, you could be written in as a pirate!

You could save her from from the evil Captain Thingy and then go and get the buried treas… Ah no, I’ve seen that one on the telly.

What about painting her in the nude on board the Titan…. Oh, no…

Come on! You’ve got to have more than a walk-on part..

corroded
    Free Member

Buy a dictaphone. Next time your wife is telling her friends another installment of her life story, press record. (Or just talk to her yourself.) Repeat as required, transcribing as you go (this is the tedious part). That’s essentially what a ghost writer would do. You will need the services of an editor to hack it into shape but plenty of underemployed editors about. Self-publish on Amazon etc.

ART

Just got back from a talk being given by this lady http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Naked-Author-Guide-Self-Publishing/dp/1408139820 – so if you do go the self publishing route this will pretty much tell you all you need to know.

kinda666
    Free Member

Cheers ART

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Looking into ways of getting my wifes life story published, help needed!’ is closed to new replies.