Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Looking forward to ride to work tomorrow :)
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Roadrat in dark

Jaynes dayone in dark

My new ultra comfy roadrat commuter. Folk say flexy ….my kona jake i toured nz on was flexier ….seated climbing only. Picked up the weeks shopping in panniers earlier 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

They look great! Got the spokey things on my Tripster for the commute / night time training rides so it’s good to see how well they’ll show up. Gone for a similar spoke pattern to you too! 🙂 Enjoy your commute.

proutster
    Free Member

Tron!!

brakes
    Free Member

what are they?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If they’re the same as mine they’re lengths of thin 3M Scotchlite silver tube that fits over the spokes. They’re relatively invisible during the day and obviously show up when reflecting light at night. I got mine a while ago from Halfords but I notcied Aldi had some (at the same sort of price – about a fiver) last week as part of their cycling promo.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah the prosaicly named “3m reflective spoke strips” from aldi – iirc they were 2.99 ??

Was late for work this morning ……tacked on another few k in search of a steep hill 😀 – oh well late finish.

I have to say if the alfine survives the winter with no issues my rohloffs days are numbered.

the alfines like riding multiple singlespeeds , the rohloffs as rough as a badgers arse in comparison (but it does work when loaded touring for sit and spin so it might come into play)

position needs a little work – height is right but stem needs to come back about 10mm – looks a little strange with it being a long flat bar version frame so needs the short stem.

how ever the tires(28c nutraks) must go – they are lethal plastic looking things – nearly had me infront of a 206 this morning cornering when they gave unexpectedly and early.

what is crazy is how cotic manage to put out a bike like that for the price they do – there is more quality shimano kit on that bike than on the genisis day one alfine – result is that the cotic is lighter bike despite the large frame vs genisis small. – but when you stick em side by side. seems reynolds 531 sticker isnt worth the premium – you seem to loose out on the alfine chainset for some generic pish , and you get a loose ball bearing headset vs the sealed unit on the cotic. Not to mention the pounding ride that the day one gives in comparison to the cotic. the ping test reveals stays are a heavier gauge and the downtube are a heavier gauge on the genisis which would explain the ride

total cost for me to build the cotic with vrs8s was 950 – would have been 975 had i had to get NEW vrs8s from on-one. the day one is 1150 rrp.

oh and cheers to mark and brad at the bike chain edinburgh for sorting me out with the bits 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Looking forward to ride to work tomorrow :)’ is closed to new replies.