Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Looking for some guidance from the STW hive mind…
  • just5minutes
    Free Member

So, on the back of a recent thread on here I bought a new bike mail order – it was in the sale but still pretty expensive and reflecting that it’s a “special” birthday present to myself.

I waited in all day for the bike to be delivered but having got it out of the box noticed that the spec was different to the retailer and manufacturer website – the back hub is supposed to be Chris King but is actually a DT 350 which is a pretty cheap model in the DT range and obviously quite different to the quality of Chris King (I’ve never had anything that good before so for me this is quite important as I was looking forward to it).

I queried the spec difference with the retailer who were very apologetic and immediately said they’d contact the manufacturer but almost immediately after that I noticed there was something a bit wrong with the headset. A bit more fettling and a phone call to the retailer confirmed there’s something wrong with the pressed in headset with the result there’s about 4mm of lateral movement at the top of the head tube. Again the retailer was has been very responsive about this but it was pretty obviously not right so quite surprising that they didn’t notice when building the bike up.

The upshot of this is the retailer has offered an immediate swap – I’m driving the bike back to them next week rather than faff on with more waiting in for couriers to pick up / drop off and the return trip will be 3-4 hours.

So after the swap I’ll have the bike I ordered but likely still with the downgraded hub and having spent my time driving a bike back for a very obvious fault that really should have been picked up before despatch.

What does the hive mind think would be a fair thing to ask for from the retailer to reflect the above experience?

thegreatape
    Free Member

A link to the bike would be interesting – which I don’t think is a name and shame as it sounds like the retailer are being decent.

just5minutes
    Free Member

thegreatape – erm, it’s a pretty nice bike and one I’m unable to ever be able to afford again… I’ll leave it at that 🙂

ads678

I’d say the least they should be giving you is a CK hub!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d count getting DT swiss hubs as a blessing in disguise 😉

Maybe ask them for some money off, since Chris King are over priced more expensive than DT, and that’s what you paid for.

sharkattack

Hard to say without more info. I’d pull the plug immediately if I thought I was being dicked about especially on a big purchase because if you settle now you’ll regret it later.

I know a manufacturer reserves the right to tinker with the spec according to availability but there’s a hell of a difference in price between CK and DT350.

Get exactly what you want. If not walk away and live to spend another day.

BigJohn

Sometimes there’s not a lot you can do especially if they’re sorting the headset problem. But if they’re still advertising the bike with a King hub you are in a strong position.

timba
    Free Member

Think of a figure and translate it into parts, e.g. £75; that’s a set of £75 pedals for you, but only a £50 loss to the retailer (or whatever)

The return trip is your choice. If the retailer’s T&Cs make the return at your cost consider adding the equivalent price for insured, signed for delivery

That might be a compromise way forward

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would have hoped the seller would have offered to have paid for return, or allowed you to take the bike to a local shop to get headset sorted.

However in all this you took a risk by buying mail order, so I don’t think you can winge too much as they are sorting

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d get my money back. 1 lie, 1 problem. Better getting shut and starting again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Looking for some guidance from the STW hive mind…’ is closed to new replies.