Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • looking for some decent rides in and around steeton (new to area)
  • mtbdan
    Free Member

I have just moved to a completely new area and I am looking for some decent routes or areas to ride.

I know there are heaps of places to go…..I just need to know where!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

martinhutch

Steeton West Yorkshire?

There is loads to go at. Google Bingley Bash which is just down the road on the other side of Keighley. Ilkley Moor is just over the back of Silsden, and then you have the whole of the south Dales on your doorstep.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/outandabout/gettingactive/cycling/mtb

should get you up and running. In terms of ‘from the door’ stuff, head up past Silsden and over to join an E-W bridleway which goes into Skipton, then across to skirt Sharp Haw, up to Hetton, Rylstone then across Barden Moor to Bolton Abbey before looping back via Addingham.

It’s all a bit soggy right now, mind you…

mtbdan
    Free Member

Thanks Martin,

Yes Steeton West Yorkshire.

I have had a quick look on the link that you sent…looks like there are plenty of routes to try out.

I will also try and map out the one that you have suggested. It sounds like you are a local?….do you know of any local ride groups? I am planning on visiting the LBS and asking in there too.

martinhutch

I live up in Skipton. Don’t know of any particular ride groups locally, except road – Ilkley and Skipton both have very active cycling clubs, so you may be able to find some MTB folk in those.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m not riding at the moment- looking after mrs_d while she’s in chemo – but if you fancy Baildon/Bingley riding, look for “Baildon MTB” on Facebook. We’ve been known to do The Bingley Bash, or variants on the theme. Something happening most weeks.
    Try Chevin Cycles in Skipton or Aire Valley in Keighley for LBS type things and for the not so local, All Terrain Cycles in Saltaire, Chevin in Otley & Harrogate, which is also handy for the Stainburn Forest trails (uber technical if you like that kind of thing)

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Ilkley CC do a once a month MTB meet, and others on an ad hoc basis, mostly a road club.
    Other groups in the are to ride with are
    Ilkley Cycles Tuesday from the shop contact them and ask.
    Oldfield Electrical in Skipton on a Thursday night.
    A few good trails above Silsden around Holden TV Mast With a cheeky route on to Ilkley moor crossing the wall where its shown as a footpath, avoid going on to Burley moor, game keepers are arsey.

mtbdan
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

I have quite a few things to research now. Bingley Bash looks like a fairly easy run…does anyone know if it is still rideable at the moment? Would be looking to try it out after xmas.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It depends which Bingley Bash you’re doing?, the guidebook one should be mostly ok in winter.

If you put up your email address, I’ll give you a great Bingley Bash variant, which will also lead you to discover other fantastic riding in that area (Harden Moor, StIves, Cottingley Woods). Parts of it are very much local knowledge tho and difficult to even indicate on a map. You could spend a whole day just on Harden Moor, picking lines and finding problems to master.

mtbdan
    Free Member

Thanks B.A.Nana. That would be great, my email address is dmp_1985@hotmail.com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

no probs, might be in a few days tho, it’s my busy time of year at the mo

trevron73
    Free Member

MTB dan , i just moved back to Steeton in March after a 20 year spell away, i moved from Steeton all the way to Eastburn last month , i am about after Christmas and new year on a Mondays or Tuesdays for rides. Bridleways are few and far between but rides can be cobbled together using road sections to connect them ? alt we could drive a bit and hit some cracking routes , just let me know .? 😀

trout
    Free Member

Waves from across the valley in Silsden

mtbdan
    Free Member

Thats sounds like a plan trevron73.

Please feel free to contact me through my email address posted above a d maybe we can arrange a time and place to meet?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘looking for some decent rides in and around steeton (new to area)’ is closed to new replies.