Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Looking for some advice on a new MTB
  • frozenwhite
    Free Member

I do a fair bit of road cycling but looking to get a MTB. I know there is a lot of suggestions not to buy a full sus for under £1K but I feel if I get a hard tail I will end up wanting a full sus pretty quickly. The spec on this one actually seems ok even though it’s sub £1k. What do you all think bearing in mind I am just starting out? Cheers

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-275-id_8379043.html

richmtb

For £700 it looks pretty good – shit tyres for the UK mind you.

Have a look at the Calibre Bossnut from Go Outdoors or any of the Boardman range from Halfords, all are brilliant value

P-Jay
    Free Member

Does look okay for the very low price (for a FS Bike) a bit worried you’re meant to keep it in a ‘cool, dark place away from Sea Air’ I wonder what’s so rust prone on it.

Bars are very narrow, but that’s perhaps not a bad thing.

Personally though, I’d be looking at the 3 ‘go to’ entry level FS bikes, the Bossnut and the Broadman and Norcos I forget the name of, they cost a bit more, but I think they’re worth it.

The Bossnut V2 looks like the perfect starter FS bike, it works well out of the box and I think the frame is worthy of upgrading as/when you want to.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Cheers Rich. I’m not too concerned about the tyres as they can easily be upgraded. Is there a massive difference between that one and this for the extra £200?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5-16-18-19-20-frames

jekkyl

this looks better. for £900
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-full-sus-mountain-bike-p347143

or this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossnut-v2-mountain-bike-p403001 for a grand

shimano brakes Vs Btwin
    shimano hubs+wtb rims vs Aero Trail Evo wheels (?!)

cinnamon_girl

but I feel if I get a hard tail I will end up wanting a full sus pretty quickly

Plenty on here who only ride hardtails or keep their full suss for Summer riding. Don’t underestimate the amount of filth you’ll encounter in Autumn and Winter! Certainly wouldn’t discount a hardtail, after all most people start out on them.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bossnut

My issue with the Rockrider would be that it’s a bit of an unknown, it’s a mailorder bike and whilst I don’t sit here geeking away all day, I’ve never heard of it until know – what’s the geometry like? what’s the sizing like?

I’ve just had a quick look at the first couple of reviews – the reviewers who like it, seem pretty new to it all, the reviewers who are less favourable seem a bit more knowledgeable – a lack of rebound adjustment on the shock is an killer, the the bare minimum for shock adjustment – it could ride like a water bed or be throwing you off on the top at the first sign of a lip.

Personally, I’d go Bossnut every time, it’s a bike that’s been reviewed by seemingly every MTB media outlet in the country and they all love it, Go Outdoors haven proven to be very good at after-sales (because the V1 had some issues) and as above, it’s a bike you could easily run for years before you outgrew it because the frame geometry is well sorted it’s a great platform for upgrading – I suspect the rockrider would find it’s limits a lot sooner.

jekkyl

she’s right, Hardtails are mint.
    have a look at what a grand would get you here: https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s182p0/Mountain-Bikes/Front-Suspension-27-5

cinnamon_girl

Thanks jekkyl. 🙂 I’d also look in the Classifieds over there as some folk change bikes as frequently as they change their socks. >>>

grannyringking
    Free Member

I bought the bossnut last year with my cycle to work scheme and its been a great bike – its a good starter machine – £1000 seems to get you a decent level of kit with out the headache of spending too much on a bike you may not use every weekend, would definitely recommend. Customer service wise, the go outdoors nearest me was 100 miles away – soon after buying the bike the crank arm decided to fall off – I think that it was assembled incorrectly but go outdoors were good and sent a whole replacement crank a couple of days later.

AlexSimon

Did you see the On-one Codeine offers?
    I thought they seemed pretty cheap!

£999 with NX
    £1299 with GX eagle!

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I was initially looking at hardtails until someone “in the know” told me there are certain trails I would regret not getting full sus. Apparently he advised his mate to get a certain hardtail and after a few rides at Glentress he was wishing he had got a full sus. As mentioned I’ve not had a mountain bike since i was a kid so have no idea. £700 was probably at the top of my budget to be honest. I was looking at this one before full sus

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike-16-18-20-22-frames?

jekkyl

I see you’ve just registered today Frozenwhite, Welcome 😉
    If you want to have a look at one in the flesh, I’d probably advise going down to two or three local bike shops and ask what they can get for your budget.
    Where do you live and what sort of trails/places will you be riding?

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Cheers Jekkyl. Yeah I’ve been looking at bikes online for the last week and keep changing my mind without even knowing what I’m really looking for. Thought it would be a good idea to come on here and ask people who know what they are talking about. I’m up in Scotland so will probably be riding Glentress, Innerleithen and possibly up north i.e Aviemore etc in the summer. I did have a look at the Voodoo Bizango (2018) in Halfords the other night and it seems decent

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Was just thinking if I join British Cycling I could get 10% discount at Halfords and get this for £810

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-27-5-16-18-19-20-frames

richmtb

Did you see the On-one Codeine offers?

That’s a bargain, I love my Codeine

AlexSimon

That’s a bargain, I love my Codeine

That’s what I thought. I nearly made a PSA for it

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I prefer the second codeine but just too much for me to afford at the moment. Just realised the colour option at the bottom. Like the stealth grey. Would the £999 One be a better option than any previously posted on this thread?

RustySpanner

Just out of interest, if you’re a dwaff like me, the Calibre doesn’t come in a small size.

If I ever meet the man responsible for that decision I shall stand on a box and headbutt him right in the shoemakers.

Bastards.
    🙂

Welcome to the forum.

gwurk
    Free Member

Dude. I recently bought a friend a Boardman team FS for £720 by taking in an old bike to trade in* and using my BC discount.

Amazing spec and value for that price and rides pretty nicely.

*not sure if this offer is still on

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’ve not seen anything on their website regarding trade in although I don’t currently have a bike to trade in so wouldn’t be much use anyway. Quick question regarding the forum. I can’t see a button to quote other posts in my reply?

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Cheers Rusty. I’m 5’10. Not sure if that qualifies me

RustySpanner

I think you’ll be fine.
    😀

gwurk
    Free Member

The bike I traded in was a 24″ kids bike my exs son grew out of 9 years ago.
    If the offer is still available it’s gotta be worth asking around to see if anyone has a suitable scrapper you can have. If you’re near Edinburgh I can get you something suitable.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Does it have to be new ..for £1k you could get a pretty decent second hand bike ..

frozenwhite
    Free Member

To be honest the £700 BTWIN one was probably at the top of my budget. I was looking at cheaper ones as I’m just starting out. Now I’m swithering on spending more for something better. I’ll look into it gwurk as I’m in Hamilton and coukd easily pop through to Edinburgh. Thanks for the offer

gwurk
    Free Member

I’m through West at least once a week so could easily meet you closer

mehr
    Free Member

My issue with the Rockrider would be that it’s a bit of an unknown, it’s a mailorder bike and whilst I don’t sit here geeking away all day, I’ve never heard of it until know – what’s the geometry like? what’s the sizing like?

Lol, mail order bike. Absolutely clueless

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Looks like the trade in deal was running from September till October

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Lol, mail order bike. Absolutely clueless

I was wondering about that comment. One of my mates was in Decathlon today looking at it and said it seems a lot of bike for the money

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Out of curiosity where is the best place to look at second hand MTB’s

joebristol

I’d look at the Boardman Pro fs with 10% off for BC discount. You may find your work allow you to buy Halfords vouchers at a 10% discount too if you work for a big company.

I had the next model up (the pro) and had a lot of fun on it for a couple of years before going for something more bling / with more travel.

The rockrider looks like a basic single pivot design with a rubbish shock controlling the travel. The Boardman has reasonable Rockshox stuff at both ends I think.

gwurk
    Free Member

Ah. apologies. I must have used the trade in offer just as it was ending.

I bought a Decathlon bike recently too (Summer) it was good value for what it was and although the bike was fine there were noticable corners cut to get the rrp down. Nothing that would worry me too much though.

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’d look at the Boardman Pro fs with 10% off for BC discount. You may find your work allow you to buy Halfords vouchers at a 10% discount too if you work for a big company.

I had the next model up (the pro) and had a lot of fun on it for a couple of years before going for something more bling / with more travel.

The rockrider looks like a basic single pivot design with a rubbish shock controlling the travel. The Boardman has reasonable Rockshox stuff at both ends I think.

I literally came back on to say o think I’m going to go with the Boardman. Just read a few really good reviews on it

frozenwhite
    Free Member

Although it would be the team posted above and not the pro

frozenwhite
    Free Member

The bossnut v2 looks a great bike but just don’t like the bright orange colour

mrmoofo

I’ve been riding MTBs since 1988, I have had a few full suspension bikes but have just have hard tails …. I occasionally get tempted to g down the FS route, and then I ride one and think of the cleaning and maintenance .
    For 1 k buy the Bossnut, or a good HT…
    And if going FS don’t try and go even cheaper ….

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’ve been riding MTBs since 1988, I have had a few full suspension bikes but have just have hard tails …. I occasionally get tempted to g down the FS route, and then I ride one and think of the cleaning and maintenance .
    For 1 k buy the Bossnut, or a good HT…
    And if going FS don’t try and go even cheaper 

The Boardman seems to get excellent reviews. Think I’m going to go with that. I’m sure it will be fine for a newbie like myself

benp1

I’m sure the Boardman will be fine, although there’s a good reason why everyone is pointing you to the Bossnut – you’re unlikely to find a better bike at +50% of the price of that, maybe more

Second hand would also get you a lot of bike for your money if you’re starting out

frozenwhite
    Free Member

I’m sure the Boardman will be fine, although there’s a good reason why everyone is pointing you to the Bossnut – you’re unlikely to find a better bike at +50% of the price of that, maybe more

Second hand would also get you a lot of bike for your money if you’re starting out

Stupid I know but I really dislike the bright orange

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Looking for some advice on a new MTB’ is closed to new replies.