Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Looking for reliably waterproof winter gloves, not too thick or bulky…
  • wl
    Free Member

As title really. Can anyone recommend some gloves that are good for the worst winter weather but don’t feel like boxing gloves? I like as much ‘feel’ as possible, so thinnish palms would be good. Ta.

rocketman
    Free Member

Used my Fox Antifreeze gloves during the winter of 09-10 at temperatures down to -15. Neoprene outers with a separate waterproof inner. Great for MTBing, without them I wouldn’t have been able to go out. On the small side so go big if at all unsure.

Also have some Assos Winter gloves which are equally as good from a thermal point of view but more roadie.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s worth finding a Sealskinz stockist as they do a whole range of winter gloves which you can them try on.

I find gloves are one of the hardest things to get a good fit in. Sizes are all over the place, finger lengths are often at odds with wrist size and many have palms which bunch up too much when riding.

binners

Sealskinz are pretty damn good. A nice compromise between waterproofness* and bulkiness

* I know that isn’t a word, but it should be

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sealskinz compromised waterproof are three words well suited to sit together in the same sentence in my experience (with their gloves)

ransos
    Free Member

My sealskins have the waterproofing qualities of a damp sponge. They’re quite warm though. Unless they get wet.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Sealskinz “waterproof” winter gloves here. Unfortunately, they’re not (waterproof). This winter I’m going to experiment with thin gloves inside eVENT overmitts.

messiah
    Free Member

Gore make the best winter gloves I have owned. But none of them are proper waterproof as you always get some water in them somehow on long wet rides. My solution is to wear a pair and pack another. When I turn for home and/or want to be warm on go the fresh gloves (and hat) so my hands are comfy for the last bit of the ride.

StirlingCrispin

I use either North Face Pamir gloves or Ground Effect Chipolatas.

The Pamir gloves get wet but the windproof fabric keeps your hands warm, and you can always wring them out.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Fox Antifreeze are the dogs. 🙂
    I also use the liner with 661 raji over if it’s not to cold.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

If it’s sub zero, it’s gotta be Buffalo Mitts:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mitts/
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/buffalo-mitts-how-warm/48368.html

Not waterproof but it doesn’t matter, they will still keep you warm as toast.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I really like the Chiba Drystars I bought from Merlin last year, has to be pretty cold to wear them though. Got them in one of Merlin’s sales for £17ish, currently £27. Maybe a bit chunky for the OP though?

Sandwich

Problem with gloves is the large hole in one end, they can never be truly waterproof because of this. Warm and wet is the best that can be achieved in truly foul conditions.

wl
    Free Member

Fair point, Sandwich. What’s your glove of choice for warm & wet?

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have a really good pair of snowboard pipe gloves that are still waterproof after about 5 years. Only the truly horrific smell has put them beyond useable. Genuine waterproof also means sweaty hands in all but the coldest conditions. Try some snowboarding ones if you need to widen the search. Mine were by Bonfire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Looking for reliably waterproof winter gloves, not too thick or bulky…’ is closed to new replies.