Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Looking for new bike
  • jamiewade90
    Free Member

Hi. I’m looking to buy a new bike, and hoping you guys can help me out on what bike is better for me.I’m currently ridding a voodoo zobop which I’ve been told the bike isn’t good enough for me to progress any further. I’m doing a lot of red routes some black routes enduro riding but I also like to try the jumps. l’ve been told that a shorter travel would be best for the jumps but not so good for the enduro and that longer travel is better for the enduro riding but unstable when jumping. Any advice on what i should be looking at would be great. Thanks

jamiep
    Free Member

Who told you the bike isn’t good enough? From this review it seems perfect for enduro, but you might just need a small hardtail for specifically jumping

jamiewade90
    Free Member

@jamiep
    It was one of the boys in Halfords, tbh Ihe bike is always back in the shop getting something fixed, I had to change my wheels they were buckling every week, and I’ve just had my head bearings changed, the gears are a bit of a nightmare aswell they constant need tweaked and when I take it to other bike shops they tell me the chain set isn’t the right set up for the bike. The mechanic has told me i have kicked its pan in and it is a light mountain bike and I’m looking for a more heavier mountain bike (if that sounds what you call it)

funkrodent

Well, the first thing is that given it’s a 140mm travel bike, with what looks like fairly slack geometry, there’s no reason it couldn’t be ridden on an enduro. However, standard spec includes Altus disc brakes and Epixon rear shock, which are okay, but not something you’d see on a “decent” trail/enduro bikr. Also the wheels are Voodoo own brand. Drivetrain is mostly Deore which is fine, though the chainset being Suntour is a bit suss. The Sektor fork is at the high end of Shimano’s cheap range of air sprung forks.
    Overall I’d say it’s a lot of bike for the money. The mechanic who questioned it would have been looking at brakes, rear shock, fork, wheels and chainset.
    If I was you I’d spend money on new wheels first, the reason they’ve been failing is because they’re a cheap compromise to keep the price down. I’d suggest the Stans Arch Ex on Hope hubs, or just Hope hoops.
    If you’re looking at a new bike then great value can be had from Bird, Commencal and Vitus (Chain reaction house brand) all of whom operate a direct sales model.
    It’s worth bearing in mind that you don’t “need” a long travel fs to ride enduro. I did the ard rock on a hardtail a couple of years ago. Also, whilst being reasonably quick – but way away from the truly fast riders – I was dropped riding down Snowdon on my fs by a bloke on a hardtail..

jamiewade90
    Free Member

@funkrodent
    Thanks for taking the time to look the bike specs.
    I’ve already changed my wheels to hope enduro tech wheels was told these would take a good beating.
    The forks that came with my bike was rockshock sektor which a thought ate good because of the brand.
    I have had lots of problems with the gears an chainset, I was going to change the chainset to a single sprocket but we then advised that it would make cycling up hills more difficult.
    Would you suggest changing my chainset to something that works better with the bike and keep riding this bike until I eff it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Looking for new bike’ is closed to new replies.