Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Looking for MTB riding stag weekend with guided rides
  • cjr61

Hi guys,

I’m getting some ideas for a UK based riding (and drinking) stag weekend in late March/early April next year. Couple of our party won’t have bikes or much experience so hoping for an area with bike hire and guided rides/routes to get the most out of the rides? Equally there will be a good mix of riding standards so nothing too hardcore.

Thinking South Wales area might be good. Any suggestions or expereices would be great.

Cheers

Chris

njee20
    Free Member

I’d suggest that much of the Welsh stuff won’t be fun if you’re not a cyclist.

I’d say Sherwood or Thetford to cater for all abilities.

sheck

Most of the riding in the Dales… Around Settle, manages to combine non-technical with feeling properly “out there”. Settle Carlisle railway may be a handy bail option for those who aren’t quite as fit as well depending on route choice?

somouk
    Free Member

Cannock and loan some demo/hire bikes from the forest centre.

You can’t get lost on the trails really as they’re well marked and anything mildly hardcore has chicken routes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as above, trail centres with hire bikes are a great idea.

FWIW, I’ve done several bike stags at Afan, Mach and NYA, with a wide range of ability and enthusiasm. Even on a wet, windswept day on the back side of NYA, we managed to get a trail virgin fully hooked!

NYA is a nice spot, as there’s nothing massively gnar to scare people off, it’s all pretty easy clibming, the Syffydrin (Spl?) trail gives you a nice feel of being ‘out there’, and it’s nice and close to the delights of Aber for a night out….

Pier Pressure. Oh my…..

TimCotic
    Free Member

Just stayed in Brecon Holiday Cottage in Crickhowell and it it was fatanstic. You’ve got the canal path right there if some of your guys aren’t up for big hills. If you do like the hills then you can spin along the canal to Talybont and head up the Brinmore Tramway – load of excellent riding from there. There’s also the bikepark at Merthyr (about an hour’s drive). You could also stay near Afan which has easy trails as well as tough ones.

jambalaya
    Free Member

One of my friends had his stag weekend at coed-y-brenin, some of the non riding party were totally broken, due more to fitness than technical challenge !

I would second the Crickhowell suggestion, you can do a natural loop from there and/or some walking or biking (gap road) up / around Pen-y fan. There are a few pubs in Crickhowell,one with music and a younger crowd.

Other than that why not add in Bike Park Wales with uplift ? Would deal with climbing for newcomers and people can take different routes down. I would guess the mtb-ers would love it as it would be new for them too.

EDIT: Wales play Scotland on 15th March in Cardiff. A night out there after the rugby is always epic, it will be crowded and rowdy but in a good natured way.

asterix
    Free Member

let us know what you decide so we can be elsewhere 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went on one a few months ago to Brechfa and Cwm Rhyadder. Everyone was pretty fit and survived. Cwm Rhyadder wss good as you can muck about in the car park and ride as many runs as your legs can propell you up the hill.

The definition of a red is that everything is rollable so as long as you can pedal to the top everythings fine.

rusty90
    Free Member

Have a look at Mudtrek. Used to catering for parties (in both senses of the word), bike hire, guiding, and good food. Riding from the door ranging from easy forest roads to the Brechfa black. Although mud is generally included whether you like it or not 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre.

Stayed in their accommodation for my brothers 30th and had a great time. Full mix of abilities from someone who had not been on a bike for years to complete fitness nuts.
    Not been guided by them, but we followed one of their routes along the valley going out, and the ones who felt like it climbed to the tops and had a great wind assisted ride back.
    The cake in the cafe is excellent (24 hour access), as is the breakfast. Pubs are a short walk away and friendly.
    They have a range of bikes to hire too.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Ring Stuart at the Dales mtb centre in Reeth , theres bunk barn or camping accomodation, bikes to hire , routes to suit all levels ,and a a cafe .also good pubs nearby , win win.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did one of my best mates’ stags at Glentress. It was great and the non-bikers mostly loved it.

Then we hit Edinburgh for a fab night out.

cjr61

Thanks for the ideas guys. I love starting a thread and then an hour later sorts of ideas. STW always has the answers!

Will do some research and then make some suggestions my best men!

Ride on

Mbnut
    Free Member

I am happy to come along and guide/coach/provide some bikes…

I don’t want paying, just buy my beer… hic

stevomcd
    Free Member

Glentress would work really well.

I’ve taken a few total newbies round the red and they loved it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Looking for MTB riding stag weekend with guided rides’ is closed to new replies.