Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Looking for Monitor Recommendations
  • councilof10
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace a couple of aging Mac Cinema Displays and wondered if there’s a “go-to” monitor for general repro, photo-editing and graphics use.

I need 2, so cost is a consideration, and I’m probably looking at 23″…

Also, must work OK with an older Mac Pro…

Anything I should put on the shortlist?

Thanks!

councilof10
    Free Member

Quick bump for the lunchtime IT crowd… 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Dell uhd stuff?

rossburton
    Free Member

Dell. My 24″ is a U2414H, on Amazon for £176. If you’re happy with 96% sRGB coverage for your photo work then I endorse it.

councilof10
    Free Member

The Dells do look pretty good and seem to top most of the group tests… What model number is yours Ross?

rossburton
    Free Member

Damnit, edited whilst you were replying, sorry!

^^^

rossburton
    Free Member

Of course it’s not high-DPI if that matters. But it is less than £200. No doubt there are newer models available now though.

councilof10
    Free Member

Thanks Ross, they do look pretty good value… Should there be any specs I should be looking for when comparing models? I’m rather ill-informed when it comes to technology!

geetee1972
    Free Member
    councilof10
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Geetee, looks really helpful…

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve kind of narrowed it down to THIS DELL which seems pretty good…

Only problem is that my Macpro is pre-Thunderbolt port, so only has 2 dual-link DVI ports. Will a DVI to HDMI adapter work?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Will a DVI to HDMI adapter work?

Although I’ve never tried it with a 4K application we use them all the time. (providing your output is DVI-D/I and not DVI-A).

We managed about 1700 PCs these days and you can almost guarantee that whatever monitor we supply it won’t have the right connection for whatever PC is in place. Lots of adapters in our Van.

councilof10
    Free Member

Thanks P-Jay, my current monitors use a DVI-D and also have firewire and USB connectors – presumably they are just ‘extension leads’ to feed the USB/Firewire ports that you use to attache devices via the monitor’s ports.

The monitor I linked to has built-in speakers, so would I need a DVI-D to HDMI with USB Audio as well?

P-Jay
    Free Member

councilof10 – Member
    Thanks P-Jay, my current monitors use a DVI-D and also have firewire and USB connectors – presumably they are just ‘extension leads’ to feed the USB/Firewire ports that you use to attache devices via the monitor’s ports.

The monitor I linked to has built-in speakers, so would I need a DVI-D to HDMI with USB Audio as well

1 point – I think so.

2 point – I don’t think so DVI-D / HDMI are capable of audio as well as visual – you just need the 1 lead.

councilof10
    Free Member

That’s great, thanks a lot P-Jay – those leads are much cheaper than the “with audio” versions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Looking for Monitor Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.