Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Looking for bimbles nearish M6
  • towzer

Hi, doing Arran again this year, we’ve done D&G and Lancaster on the way home so looking for somewhere new (not too far from M6) non techy (blueish ability)tracks with good scenery/interesting history loops/routes on the way south ideally with a campsite and a localish pub or somewhere we could base for a few days riding.

Grizedale looks interesting,
    Stafford – Millenium way
    Monsal Trail

any tips ideas appreciated.
    Ta

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grizedale, good shout. Dales bike centre?.

loddrik
    Free Member

Rivington

jekkyl

That old train line out of Stafford is dull as dishwasher, honestly don’t bother.. How about Cannock? There’s a 6/11 mile blue trail there with bugger all cars and pick n choose bits of the dog for some proper fun. About 10 mins from junc 12 or 13.

Edit: few days… Ashbourne ish to do Carsington water and your choice of Tissington, high Peak., monsall trail or that other one from Waterhouses..

lowey

Orton Round including Breasthigh Road and the “other” Borrowdale. Park at Tebay, right on the M6.

Let you have a gpx if your interested. Stunning ride on trails less travelled.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Penrith would be a good base, Orton round, Ulswater, high cup Nick, all within striking distance or just lane/riverside bimbles around Penrith, loads of castles, Roman stuff, interesting bits and bobs or there’s a campsite or two near ravenstonedale. Sedbergh worth a look too, rides over howgills or dentdale etc

scaled
    Free Member

Monsal trail is very flat, my then 5 year old managed to do it out and back in a day.

I’d say Gisburn would be a good one to try, I’ve taken people there on their 2nd or 3rd mountain bike ride and done the blue/red route. most of the red is on the blue, then you’ve got a nice loop out the back if you’re enjoying it. The red loop isn’t really any more tech.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Long Mynd? Admittedly not directly on the M6 but it’s only a short drive from the M54.

markrh
    Free Member

Yeah, the disused train line from Stafford to Newport is a bit dull but scenery is ok and on a sunny day its a nice place to be away from traffic and there is a pub near the start/finish and at the midway point (Gnossall) theres a couple of pubs near the route. Not much of a detour off the M6. No camp site close to the trail.
    Lots of Blue routes on Cannock chase with a bit more interest to the trails and Follow the dog/ Monkey trails aren’t to demanding if you fancy it. Nice cafes and a camp site. Bit more a of a detour off the M6. The Horns pub is near to the Birches valley visitor centre/carpark does decent food from what I’ve heard, take your pick. 😀

martinhutch

Whinlatter is easier/quicker to get to from the M6 than Grizedale. Much better blue as well. Campsite in Braithwaite.

I wouldn’t bother with the waymarked riding in Grizedale Forest. Very dull fire-road slogging. Even the red is fairly dull. Perhaps camping in Hawkshead and doing a loop up and around Claife Heights if you want blue-ish riding.

Not sure Gisburn blue is worth the diversion, TBH. Though there are a couple of awesome blue-standard natural routes in the same area.

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/visit-the-dales/get-outdoors-dales/mountain-biking/mountain-biking-routes/mtb-routes/mtb-route-tunnelsbridges

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Looking for bimbles nearish M6’ is closed to new replies.