Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Looking for an all round trail hardtail – please give me suggestions!
  • haggis1978

well if your budget is £1k you can get a lot for that 😀 Check out bikesutra as that has a list from A-Z of every bike manufacturer there is going

andyl
    Free Member

what dimensions do you want?

On Ones have a long top tube which suits those with long torsos and arms. I find ‘regular’ frames a bit cramped in the top tube as I have to go for a size based on stand over.

£1k is a nice budget for a frame so you need to go try a few for fit as that is the most important – tweaks can be made with post, stem, bars etc but the wrong frame is the wrong frame.

I would deffo take a look at the carbon 456 or Ti 456 (heavier but more compliant and carefree) If you don’t want an over 4″ travel fork then maybe the carbon whippet.

Also take a look at the Lynksey Ti frames and the Ragley – you have mentioned piglet but I am not sure what is coming out in the ‘X’ range (better steel so can be built lighter) and they have Ti ones coming out iirc.

The Cotic and Cove are nice but seem a bit shorter.

You could also look at 29ers – again On One have some coming out – Ti and carbon but lots of other makes too and could be a better buy. Don’t forget to budget in a decent fork as it would be a shame to stick an unresponsive heavy one up front.

chakaping
    Free Member

£1k for a hardtail frame?

I wouldn’t spend half as much personally, unless I wanted a nice bit of titanium to sit and stroke.

Anyway, On-One are doing some tremendous deals on the Carbon 456 and Rock Shox forks.

If I hadn’t bought one frame only a while ago, I’d bite their arm off for frame and Revelation RLT ti w/maxle for £800.

I’m not going to try to claim it’s a thing of beauty, but I do think it looks pretty good without any stickers…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

When you say that you want to do some ‘touring with slicks’, are you looking at getting rack mounts? That narrows the field significantly.

The other option is to go custom – easily achievable with your budget.

yossarian
    Free Member

Chromag Sakura?
    Sinister ridge?
    Evil sovereign?
    Spooky darkside?
    Kingdom bike project?
    Salsa?
    Dekerf?

shortcut

Why not look at 29ers? They work well for general xc usage!

andyl
    Free Member

ti 29er definitely thinking about it.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Orange P7, great trail bike.

winterfold
    Free Member

I love my whyte 905 – rode quite a few bikes before deciding and it seemed the best combination of fun, light, able to handle where I ride (Surrey/downs/etc)

I am 80% roady though 😉

grtdkad

+1 for a Whyte 19, love mine…

Northwind

If you can get along with the looks I’d definately check out the 456 carbon. Otherwise I can’t help but recommend a Soul, my riding changed a bit and I wanted something a bit more grr but the Soul’s excelled itself beyond anything I’d hoped for and I’d hoped for a lot. Superb frames and seems to fit your bill absolutely perfectly. And no not too steep.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Hi 7HZ. Send me an e-mail to milesg_01 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Give me a shout, I may have something for you!

Mackem

Pipedreams look nice but the P7 I have is great. It rides like a lighter bike. There’s always the P7 pure which I think is a little lighter.

metalheart
    Free Member

I love my Soul (so much so I bought a Soda, but that’s another story).

It looks good (especially in that orange), is well made, 4.4lbs for the medium and is good for 100 – 140mm forks. Way better than the (06) handjob I had. Its reassuringly expensive (for steel) but still less than half your budget, whats not to like?

I ran my Soul at 100 (on talas forks) for about a year and its not too steep even at that. Remember that the stated 70 deg is at 25% fork sag.

Although I have a shiney newcomer I could only ‘get rid’ of my old Soul for another new (orange) one.

jamesb
    Free Member

No-one has yet mentioned Van Nic Ti frames, fairly sure they are under £1k, Zion comes with rack mounts too. I rode LEJOG on an Airborne Lanacaster using slicks with saddlebag only and was just fine for such long touring; also used it for general XC; Van Nic zion (if still avaialble) is rebrand of teh Airborne Lancs but with shorter top tube

take a look at http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=FFHFMHT005/Van_Nicholas_Zion_Titanium_MTB_Mountain_Bike_Frame

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Owned quite a few and have settled on a P7. Truly versatile, as someone has said it rides like a lighter bike, hard as ****.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte, lots of models. All good. Can’t see past them. We don’t just sell them – we have demo bikes and ride them so have compared them to a LOT of bikes.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Another Whyte 19 fan here. I much prefer it over my mmmBop for longer rides. Doesnt take such big rear tyres – otherwise great.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Looking for an all round trail hardtail – please give me suggestions!’ is closed to new replies.