Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Looking for an all round trail hardtail – please give me suggestions!
  • 7hz
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new frame, and wonder if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

I am a 6″ rider, 13 1/2 stone. I like riding uphill as much as down – I’m not very ‘rad’ and not bothered about tanking it downhill at breakneck speed. I am coming from XC hardtail Cannondale w/ 80mm headshok fork, which I like, but isn’t that good for steep stuff.

I want a frame for trails, cross country (no racing!), occasional small jump / drop, all day, road / touring w/ slicks, bikepacking multi day.

Requirements for the frame are the following;

Hardtail
    26″ wheels
    About £1000 max
    Reasonably light (under 5lbs / 2.25kg) – I like light stuff, so 3.4lbs / 1.5kg would be good!
    120mm forks, 140mm forks max
    shortish stem
    Good looking frame – clean, minimal
    Don’t care if it’s aluminium, steel, carbon, titanium – I just want a good bike.

I have considered the following:

Santa Cruz Chameleon – maybe too heavy and stiff?
    Brodie Holeshot Titanium – too slack?
    Ragley Piglet – looking hopeful, but heavy?
    Ragley Ti Piglet – expensive, not sure about the dropouts

Part of my problem is, there aren’t any frames / makes that have really caught my eye, or that I have coveted. I just like riding, and haven’t really felt the need to get a new bike, but due to my only bike being out of action for the foreseeable future, I need to get one!

Help!

elaineanne
    Free Member

i dont think the piglet is out yet !
    can you not mend your bike if its out of action, or do you just NEED another bike.lol have a look in the classifieds thats a start. 😉

Wookster

Was going to say a bfe then saw the light bit! I have one in large with revs slx and flows comes in at 29 with big tyres but that could come down easy.

I’d look in the sales mate!

timwillows
    Free Member

Try a Scandal and keep most of your £1000, if its not quite right flog it on and you will have lost very little.

If you want to spend a little more try a soul, holds its value nicely and you don’t hear many complaints.

7hz
    Free Member

elaine anne – There is a bunch of stuff wrong with the Cannondale, including a cracked frame, forks badly in need of service, freewheel bearings shot, breaks annoying the snot out of me… it just feels like it’s time for a new ride. It is 4 years old and it seems that it has reached end of life in a way. Plus I think something a little less XC would be better for what I do.

FWICS, Piglet is coming in the next month, which is OK – I can wait a month.

I kinda fancy a new frame TBH, but once I decide what I’m looking for, I won’t rule out S/H stuff.

7hz
    Free Member

Wookster – bFe seemed a bit too much bike for me, seemed to be heading into the 140mm hardcore hardtail – more suited to going down than up?

timwillows – Scandal seems a bit too ‘race’ for me – want to put on 2.4 tyres and cruse.

I looked at the Soul, maybe a contender, was wondering if the head angle was a bit steep? Also wasn’t sure on the sizing, the large sound too big, and the medium too small. Anyway, I have put it on the shortlist… thx!

stevede
    Free Member

Cotic Soul, simply the best hardtail i’ve ever ridden, handles great, angles are spot on, nice clean lines, ticks all your boxes.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

MMMbop

stevede
    Free Member

Oh and i definately wouldn’t say the head angle is too steep on the Soul, i run mine with 140mm u turn pikes and even wound down to 120mm or 130mm i wouldn’t consider it steep.
    I’m 5’10 and the medium fits me like a glove, i run a 50mm stem so maybe with a 70mm stem a med could work for you.
    The guys at Cotic are really helpfull and would be better informed than me to answer your sizing questions so would be worth a call or email.

bullheart
    Free Member

You won’t get anything better than this for the money, so be quick!

http://shop.theedgecycleworks.com/1397/Whyte-Bikes-901-Trail—ONLY-1-LEFT–.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1397

I’m the same height as you and ride this size.

rob2
    Free Member

Lots of choice. I’ve got/had frames….

Scandal – Will take a 120mm fork (they say 100mm as I assume it would fail the new cen regs otherwise). Really good bike for light fast rides and very comfy. I run mine at 100 or 120.

Soul – with a 120mm fork it’s not steep at all IMO. Nice frame that gets better the faster you ride it. Mine is built quite light and comes in at about 24lbs I reckon

Chameleon – best bike I have by far. It’s just mental fast and goes over anything. Mine runs with a 130mm fork. They are simply brilliant.

For the money though I’d go for a carbon 456. Light, will take a long or short fork and insane value for money.

_tom_
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for a BFe, it definitely excels at going downhill/getting air as it builds up quite heavy (but solid) and is a bit short for xc.

nickf
    Free Member

(a) you’ll get it for £1000 with a really good build kit on it

(b) I’ve got one and have ridden it far more than all of my other, much more expensive bikes. It’s just a lot of fun.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius, my one bike is an Orbea Alma with all its carbon lightness and my other is a Sirius with 130mm fork. It’s not that heavy, perfect for all day rides both up and down. Downwards is simply a question of going quickly and grinning. I would have thought that you could even race it without problems. Service from Pipedream was a dream. I’ll be buying another Pipedream for sure.
    Oh sod it! Here’s a pic. 😆

IMG_0302 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte 19 Trail frames. Perfect for 120mm fork with 67.5 degree head angle. All the Whytes are phenomenal – easily our most popular bikes. We sold two Whyte 19 frames last year (in addition to lots of bikes) and they were £550.

nicko74

Shame – this time last year (ie before the prices went up), I would’ve said Cotic Soda, as it ticks all the boxes. 3.5lb, 130mm up front, neat welds and cable routing.

Still a tasty bike, but given that ‘light’ means sub 5lbs, a Soul could be just the ticket for you.

elaineanne
    Free Member

the only piglet around in the country is the one Ed Oxley has at the moment… cant wait to see what they are like.
    yea my son has a cannondale prophet full sus, which he upgraded, then had the forks sevicd and rear sus, then alittle further down the line he splashed out and bought the Orange Alpine… 😉
    we all want newer faster bikes dont we .. 😉
    i started off on a specialized hardtail, which was ok for me then i upgraded the forks ( then the drivetrain, then a year down the line my hubby bought me an orange five… 😉

7hz
    Free Member

Chameleon – best bike I have by far. It’s just mental fast and goes over anything. Mine runs with a 130mm fork. They are simply brilliant.

I have to say that the Chameleon is one bike that I have a real soft spot for, but I run hot and cold on it due to my pals saying it is a ‘jump bike’, and also some reports of it being too stiff for an all day bike. However, the geometry and size is close to my old Cannondale, but with a 2 degree slacker head angle. I’m still tempted, PITA that there are no demo ones in Scotland in large!

Soul seems good, I agree the head angle looks slacker than the reported 70 degrees would indicate. A pal was waxing lyrical about his a couple of weekends ago.

My “around £1000 max” budget is frame only BTW, parts are on top of that… but I don’t mind not paying that all. Seems only the Ti frames would eat up that budget. Less on frame may mean I spend a bit more on parts…

7hz
    Free Member

Any other options / opinions?

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

My son rides a Cameleon set up pretty burly with 160mm forks etc. Has ridden up and down across Scotland and Lake district. Can’t recommend it enough. Have used it for street stuff and dirt jumps so yes this frame can do it all. He is in Glasgow if you want a go on his large BTW.

si-wilson
    Free Member

How about the new Chumba HX1 frame? £399 with EBB. Available in Anodised silver, anodised black and powder coated white.

Details here http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/hx1.html

Chumba HX1 by srbwilson, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude might fit the bill.

Probably some 2010 models going cheap still.

1kcove
    Free Member

You will be best with a steel frame strong flexible & comfortable
    what about a Cove handjob.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m looking for something a little more hardcore but still bouncing between the Soul and Carbon 456. Both build light ifyou desire and will go up well as well as down from what I’ve heard!

tony24
    Free Member

was going to say a carbon 456 as well they are brilliant downhill but easy to ride up also ave mine set up with a 130mm fork and its brill !

stevede
    Free Member

Go for the Soul, the carbon 456 may be good value but by god it’s ugly IMO of course!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert.

Not entirely in keeping with some of your wish list but a good, reliable frame and fine ride.

Loafer
    Free Member

Get a Scott Scale Carbon.

I’ve got the 2008 Sale 30 and haven’t regretted it once. Very responsive and climbs like a goat. It just wants to go. Not too shabby on the downhills either.

verses

Another vote for the Altitude

Tracey

We have three Chameleons, use them for all day epics and also for messing about on, great frames

Katies

Mine

Abigales old one

Her new one

speaker2animals

Whyte 19? Light and a good all rounder.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

I dont think the 456 carbon is ugly………..

Mines pretty sexy IMO!!

Yet1man

+1 for the Carbon 456.

RRD
    Free Member

I have a Cove Stiffee and whilst from your description it may be a tad harsh for you. It is brilliant. In a similar vein to the Chameleon (I think) it is one of those fun bikes to ride. I did not fully understand the significance of geometrey until I rode this bike, i9t is really confidence inspiring and a riot when pointed downhill.

RRD
    Free Member

I forgot to say. 1 major advantage of Cove frames is their sizing which allows you to get a good fit

BigR

If the frame is cracked won’t cannondale honour their warranty? Might be able to upgrade at a reasonable price.

wors

Have you had a look at canyon bikes? The grand canyon looks a belter for the money. Only mail order though.

haggis1978

What about an Orange P7? they can take forks from 100mm up to 140mm so get a travel adjust Rock Shox revelation or Fox Talas and your laughing. You can have it set at 100mm going up the hill, rattle it up to 140mm for the way down

br
    Free Member

I’ve a 456Ti and its just what you want, but I guess you’d need to find some more cash…

7hz
    Free Member

My budget is ‘about’ £1000 frame only, I could push it if I thought a frame was worth it. I am mainly thinking about geometry right now, obviously for a bike like the 456, there is a choice of materials which is a secondary decision 🙂

Orange P7 and Cove Stiffee are another two good ideas, I’ll check them out some more!

My Cannondale is currently in the shop for warranty. I have heard bad things about the turn around time on that type of thing, and don’t want to be without a bike for too long. Also, I want to get something a bit less XC and a bit more trail. Finally, It would be good to have more than one bike in case something like this happens again, I have another ride to fall back on… I hate not having a bike.

climbingcragrat -I’d love to have a shot on a Chameleon, don’t suppose he rides at GT at all?

Decisions decisions…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Looking for an all round trail hardtail – please give me suggestions!’ is closed to new replies.