Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Looking for a Windows based portable device
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Not quite sure what I need. I want something very portable with reasonable battery for taking to site when I’m working. For the software I’m using it needs to be Windows and it needs a proper powered USB port. I was originally thinking a low spec, small laptop like the HP stream, which will do just fine but was wondering if I could do better. Maybe something higher specced but second hand. What could I google here for an idea of price? Or possibly a surface, what are they like to actually use, will it sit up like a laptop with the screen open? New would be too expensive but an older model maybe. Definitely the cheaper the better as it may get trashed

EDIT This looks promising Linx 1010B Any comments on this or similar would be appreciated

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I recently got a lenovo mixx 310 off of Argos refurbs on eBay for £102 posted BIN

Nothing fancy, but gets the job of being a windows 2 in 1 done nicely and at £100…. I don’t really care about it too much. Still, I’ve edited photos, surfed the web, checked my email, VPN’d to work, watched movies and so on

jekkyl

fooman

HP Pavilion X2? Small, about £200, 6+ hours battery and full Windows 10.

leffeboy

I use a mixx 700 and love it but the battery is pants, as it the battery on the surface (according to the folks that I know that have them). It sits up like a laptop with the screen open and works as well as a laptop. The nice thing about the mixx devices is that you can open them and change the drives if they wear out. With the surface you are stuck.

The device you linked to is only 32GB hard drive. Thats really tiny and you would struggle to put something like Word on along with your software. The screen is also 10inch which is a bit small for regular use but ok for portable use

You might be better looking at a second hand small laptop which will have a bigger battery unless a couple of hours is enough

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Mine has Word on it and I put it a wee 32gn SD card to store files on

richmars

I’ve been using the 8″ version of the one you link to for about a year. As a Windows 8 tablet it’s pretty good. I’ve had Excel running and it downloaded runs from my TomTom GPS, so the USB works (but it’s only got a micro connector so had to buy an adaptor).

leffeboy

Mine has Word on it and I put it a wee 32gn SD card to store files on

good point

cranberry
    Free Member

Thinkpad X220/240 – small, light(ish) very well built, and you can get one for £250. it’ll be better built than anything else in that price range.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a Windows based portable device’ is closed to new replies.