Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • looking for a warm mid layer…..seen these.
  • ton

looking for a warm mid layer, or to wear with just a base when a bit warmer.
    seen these which i thought looked ok.
    anyone use anything similar?

Hewer Mens TCZ Thermal Jacket – Black

scotroutes

For riding in? I reckon I’d cook.

Have a look at the Polaris AM jacket. Windproof fronted. I have two now as I liked the first so much. Polaris regularly have a sale on too.

theotherjonv

general, or cycling?

I’d be concerned it’s too warm for cycling,

My layering when cold is usually a base layer, with an older version of this over the top (mine doesn’t have detachable sleeves)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-convert-softshell-jacket-ss17/rp-prod61512?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Manufacturer+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sQGvz4SWU_dc|pcrid|161845658788|pkw||pmt||prd|228829UK

I suspect my ‘mid’ layer isn’t as warm as the one you linked, so then I add either a windproof / showerproof to the outside (I have a fluo decathlon one for a tenner does the job fine) or a merino vest that goes over the base layer or sometimes both depending on need. I just hate being cold…..

If too warm, the windproof folds into a pocket dead easy and if I’ve really overestimated, the merino can come off too. With your one, not sure how small it can fold down and if it can then it leaves you with just a base.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Visually it reminds me of a howies Hewaddywaddy, which was deliberately thin to avoid cooking. STW Hannah was using the fairer sex version and liked it If I recall correctly.

I would check on the thickness of the insulation tho – you certainly don’t want it too thick.

ton

hadnt thought how bulky it would be. suppose your right.
    3 thinner layers being better than a base and a bulky layer.
    i will keep looking. ta

dovebiker

I wore something similar in the arctic over a baselayer when riding at -10 and below, you’d probably ‘cook’ in it for UK conditions. Good for carrying in case of layering-up when stopped, but too warm for ‘active’ wear

submarined
    Free Member

If you’re after a waterproof, warmish layer, I’d happily recommend the FWE King Of The Downs from Evans. They’re about 40 quid at the moment, like a budget version of that Castelli one (perfetto?) That everyone races about. I’ve used mine quite a lot and am really impressed with it. On cooler days I just wear a Decathlon LS base layer with it. I’ll then stick a trail Jersey type thing on as a mid later when it’s really cool.

chakaping
    Free Member

Gilet might be a better bet if you’re after a bit of take-on-and-off-able core warmth.

BadlyWiredDog

The quilted areas on that TOG24 won’t be particularly breathable or capable of wicking. If you really just want a mid-layer to go under a shell, no-nonsense fleece is probably your best bet still. Microfleece for on bike use, something thicker for general pottering about.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘looking for a warm mid layer…..seen these.’ is closed to new replies.