Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Looking for a road/commuter bike
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Think I've got my bmx sold (at a profit!) and since I have some more money coming at the end of the month I'm thinking of getting a road bike for general country lane bimbling and maybe commuting to work when I start in July. Just not sure what to go with really so I'm after some suggestions – I have no idea about roadies!

I come from a bmx/mtb background so I don't really like being stretched out too much, so not too long or low a TT please. I like the idea of SS or maybe a fixie – I never change gears whilst riding my mtb on the same roads I'd ride with this. However if possible I think I'd like to have a mech hanger so if I felt like it I could go back to gears.

Was looking at the Charge Plug and SE Lager. SE is about 2lbs lighter at 21lbs but just doesn't look as classy as the Charge!

Another option (but probably not a great idea) is getting something like a slot dropout on-one and setting it up for ss/rigid and slick tyres. Could then throw on some bigger tyres for using it off road if I fancied it.

Edric64
    Free Member

Boardman carbon at 1k is good but is a full on road bike. Genesis do some interesting stuff that is cheaper and maybe more your style

_tom_
    Free Member

Forgot to say my budget! Probably max of £300-400 second hand tbh, I'm only just out of uni.

tthew

IMHO, buy a proper, full on racing bike. Don't go for a compromise, you've got a mountian bike for off road. A decent road bike is proper fast and lively, real snappy acceleration and they just bomb along. You'll get used to the riding position, and I reckon 400 quid would buy you quite a decent second hand, alloy frame racer. Try browsing the classifieds in Cycling Weekly, loads of stuff in there.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well.. I couldn't get used to the riding position of my rockhopper with 50mm stem, it just felt too stretched out and awkward, haha. That had a 23" TT afaik. A lot of road frames actually seem to have a much shorter TT, surprisingly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a road/commuter bike’ is closed to new replies.