Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Looking for a park, near the M6, somewhere between Manchester and Birmingham
  • 2tyred

Got a long drive south in a couple of days time, hoping that a couple of hours somewhere along the way in a park with a football will prevent my lads turning into complete monsters – weather looks good, I figure somewhere between Manchester and Birmingham would fit the bill, ideally not far from the M6.

Don’t know that part of the country at all, so looking for some stw knowledge. Cheers!

flip
    Free Member

Stoke on Trent.. Just off M6

http://www.trentham.co.uk/trentham-gardens

2tyred

Cheers, but thinking more a public park that you don’t pay to get into!

sectuerfive
    Free Member

Rowley Park in Stafford is about 5-10 mins from the M6. Quite a few football pitches there (grass or a concrete cage)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tatton Park, near Knutsford?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lymm truck stop/lorry park. One miniute off J20 M6. It has a costa, Greggs and McDonalds. The lorry park itself smells of urine. Fun for all the family. What’s not to like.?

😀

takisawa2

Theres a park at Featherstone, a few mins off the M6 at Cannock.

CLICK

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Next to trentham gardens is trentham park which is free and does have a flat grass area plus a stream for pooh sticks

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’d second rowley park, good area, i used to live by it in a previous life, they even have a running track.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Cannock Chase?

skeetsgb
    Free Member

pennington flash. 10 mins from m6 j23

http://www.visitgreenheart.com/PenningtonFlash

wolfrider
    Free Member

That park in Featherstone is opposite my house its not upto much.id recommend cannock chase or west park in Wolverhampton.

BigJohn

If you’re going to Rowley Park you’ll pass my house so come and make us an offer – and tell people the red carpets look OK in real life.

2tyred

Thanks folks – Cannock Chase looks ideal, where’s the best bits to head to for general larking about (without bikes)?

BigJohn

For a Cafe and a kids playground:

Cannock Chase Visitors Centre
    Marquis’s Drive
    CANNOCK
    WS12 4PW

For A cafe, a bike shop, start of Follow The Dog and a GO Ape and a Sculpture Walk:

Swinnerton Cycles
    Birches Valley
    RUGELEY
    WS15 2UQ

somouk
    Free Member

There is red house park or Sandwell Valley not far from Junction 7 of the M6 but you’re pretty close to Brum at that point anyway.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Both Birches Valley and Marquis Drive have playgrounds and big green spaces close to the cafes for kicking balls around/throwing frisbees too.

Birches Valley has nicer walks suitable for kids, including the fairy grove (they’ve carved little houses into the trunks of the trees, with little doors on hinges. It’s ace. And it has a bike shop, which I’m sure the kids will love. 😛 Also has the best ice-cream.

Marquis Drive has the War Hut that has objects from World War I (including weaponry) – Cannock Chase was an army training ground (it’s where Tolkien trained). It has a gift shop which used to have terrifying stuffed animals in it, not sure if they’re still there…

Think parking is around £1.50 for an hour or £3.50 for a full day at both, not sure of the exact number though.

kuman
    Free Member

Rowley Park in Stafford is great place. I used to live right by it.

ransos
    Free Member

If you want to keep it really simple there’s quite a lot of green open space and a playground at Stafford services. Plenty of room for a kickabout.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a park, near the M6, somewhere between Manchester and Birmingham’ is closed to new replies.