Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Looking for a new winter/commuter/light tourer type thing.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Seem to be changing my mind daily on what would best suit my needs. I’m after a bike that would be principally a commuter but also a winter road bike and be able to do a little bit of credit card touring. I’m considering everything from a Disc Trucker, Genesis Vagabond/CDF/Equilibrium, a Surly Pacer and the Spa Cycles Audax and Tourer, I had a Soma Wolverine on there too but the cost has bounced it out of contention. I’ve a cross bike( non disc) and a hardtail 29er to cannibalise for parts to keep the costs down and a disc road bike would probably be the hardest to furnish.

So to help me out anyone who has any of the above what are your thoughts on your choice? Is there anything else I could consider?

Mostly favouring the Genesis offerings at the moment, hitting a lot of tick boxes, so any Genesis feedback is most welcome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a lovely Genesis sitting in sprockets…… 😆

Vortexracing

I have a Genesis Equilibrium, running Campag Centaur and Hope pro 3 with Stans Alphas and Schwalbe the 28mm ones running tubeless.

Just to say that for a medium priced frameset, it’s spot on, not the lightest, but ssooo comfy. 🙂

I use mine for commuting and my winter wet bike with PDW mudguards.

brooess
    Free Member

Condor Fratello? Lovely bike to ride and perfectly sprightly when you want it to be. Mine’s a keeper.
    It helps that you get measured up in the shop and put on all the parts you want so you get exactly the bike you need.
    They do a disc and canti version too.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Vortex is that disc or calliper?

Fratello was looked at but nudging the upper end of the budget. I’ll have another peruse.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Similar requirements – i bought a kona rove al . Arrives friday.

Didnt want steel this time.

Vortexracing

Caliper, it uses long drops, so it just fits the 28’s and guards.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’m in much the same position myself but it must be disc brakes for me. The current favourite is a Giant TCX SLR on bike to work.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The Giant looks good though I’m wary of getting another cx bike. I realise that they have mellowed a bit of late but the one I have is twitchy or nimble if I’m being generous and quite stiff.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Why did you want alu over steel trail rat?

Buzzard
    Free Member

interesting – I’m looking at similar

also considering Singular Kite Disc and Bowman Cycles Pilgrim

trail_rat
    Free Member

mostly weight.

partly realisation that I’m never that far from civalisation and the repairability of a steel frame (nearly its only redeeming feature for this use) is a moot point really.

and at 599 for the full bike my insurance wont cry when i lock it up outside the shop and someone helps them selves to it.

Ben_H

I was looking just after Christmas and had a similar set of requirements to the OP.

I built a Kinesis 4S Disc with: 105 5800, Racelight wheels, 28c Conti GP4S tyres, Thomson finishing and BB7 SL discs – for just over £1,300. It has pannier mounts and clearance for mudguards and 28c tyres, or 32c without.

Compared to the Escapade that it now sits alongside, it’s an absolute weapon and – surprisingly – more comfortable.

lunge

PX London Road has to be worth a look? £180 for the frame at the moment though being PX that does fluctuate.

wicki
    Free Member

There is an interesting thread on here regarding the London road well worth a read if your considering one.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ll have another read though the last time I looked there seemed to be a lot of issues about the seatpost and planet x’s legendary service.

jimdubleyou

In the spirit of recommending what you’ve got – I’ve got an Arkose 4.

Recently, I saw the 2015 model in Evans window for about a grand.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve just bit the bullet and went for one of the Charge Plug frames on Ebay. Hard to pass up at the price.

RustySpanner

Depends what you want.

If you can live with 35mm tyres and rim brakes, the Spa Tourer is possibly the nicest bike I’ve ever ridden.
    Not light, but the Audax is.
    If you need very wide tyres, luggage, drops and discs you’re on a Disc Trucker or Vagabond.

Discs and 35’s gives you loads of options, but the CdF rides nicely and isn’t too expensive.
    Stunning colour this year too.

I want discs, the ability to carry quite a bit and big tyres, so I’ve gone for a Disc Trucker.
    A Vagabond would do pretty much exactly the same thing, but with a dropped top tube and 700c wheels.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new winter/commuter/light tourer type thing.’ is closed to new replies.