Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Looking for a new town bike
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Currently have a revolution belter for getting around town.

Things I like:
    The belt drive – stops my work trousers getting oily
    It’s cheap – don’t care about leaving it locked up outside the pub etc

Things I don’t like:
    Really narrow clearance at the back – can’t get a full guard in. Even crud road race ones only work with a 23mm tyre

It handles like crap. Dunno what it is, but it feels like it’s trying to fall over all the time – unsteady at speed. Tried a new fork with more rake and put new tyres on it.

So, what am I looking for?
    I’d like a belt drive, full mudguards and for it not to be crap and also not to be expensive…. So, a Spot bike would be nice but is too pricey.
    Singlespeed is fine by me

Trek Soho look OK:

Any other suggestions?
    Some kind of single speed, belt drive cyclocross would be cool

benp1

Why not get one with a full chain guard, like a dutch style bike. It works well for them for pootling around town, to them it’s just a vehicle

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I came on to ask pretty much exactly the same question (with the same issues about my current Belter).

No suggestions? What you thinking guitarhero? Like the look of the new Edinburgh Bikes singlespeed crosser as it looks like it solves many of my issues with the Belter, except it’s not belt drive!

simon_g

Cube, Focus, Marin all have utilitarian belt drive hybrids (usually 8-speed Alfine, and around the £750-900 mark) in their ranges now.

Not seen anything off the shelf with drop bars though – Genesis do hub+drops, but no belt drive.

clodhopper
    Free Member

For purely urban commuting over shorter distances (less than 10 miles or so), I’d recommend a Brompton, because nothing else is anywhere near as versatile.

If you need to lock it up anywhere, then something that doesn’t look nearly as desirable as the bike next to it.

If you work in the City and need to gain the respect and affirmation of your peers, then a +£7k carbon road bike with full Dura Ace Di2 is the minimum. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1980s Raleigh Cameo. Comfy, full guards and virtually theft proof.

Or a Brompton.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new town bike’ is closed to new replies.