Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Looking for a New BOB IBEX Trailer?
  • andynw
    Free Member

Hi Everyone.
    New to this forum so be gentle with me!
    Been moutain biking for over 25 years now and enjoy touring and exploring the mountains, bike camping in the Cairngorms and around the Highlands.
    Really fancy one of these BOB IBEX suspension trailers for rough trail touring but soon discovered the extreme price mark up here in the Uk compared to America?
    Guess we are been ripped off as usual with them being over £150+ more than over the pond?
    Anyone aware if they can be purchased abroad and imported here or is it the size and weight and postage costs with give the Uk retailers the blank cheque to charge what they wish?
    None on Ebay and all at least £400 – £430 in the Uk.
    Just a thought in case anyone had got hold of one at a reasonable price.
    Thanks for your time.
    Great website and constructive forums.
    Thanks
    Andy

13thfloormonk

I’d wondered about one of these, but you can get the Extrawheel Voyager design much cheaper, couple it with a big wheel with a fat tyre and I reckon you could achieve the same effect as the IBEX but MUCH lighter.

Just leaves you with a quandary over how to protect the luggage from scrapes and bashes of course…

aP
    Free Member

The prices are pretty acceptable seeing as they’re broadly £ for $ seeing as you get UK warranty for them, whereas if you imported one from the states at about 10% cheaper you’d get no warranty.
    It’s such a lame comment moaning about “rip off Britain”, if you don’t like it…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andynw
    Free Member

Hi 13thfloormonk
    Thanks for the constructive reply,
    will look into that one, looks good.
    Less to carry in the car too!
    Thanks for the info.
    Andy

andynw
    Free Member

Quote…
    “The prices are pretty acceptable seeing as they’re broadly £ for $ seeing as you get UK warranty for them, whereas if you imported one from the states at about 10% cheaper you’d get no warranty.
    It’s such a lame comment moaning about “rip off Britain”, if you don’t like it…”

?????
    Currently £430 which is $686.074 in america today??
    In the USA they are about $350 dollars = £219.33 !!!
    Errr??
    You can buy 2 over there for 1 over here??
    so Yep!
    Rip off britain as you say!
    certainly not £ for $ .
    Would you pay double their worth for 12 months warranty?

aP
    Free Member

Well fly over there and buy one then.

GDRS

Late to this post……..

Nothing to do with pricing of the yak but – I have one – I have done 1000’s of miles with it (on road / off road / back and cross country) and imho they are worth the money. They are bomb proof. Once I got used to it I did not really feel the weight – but we have dropped and sledged it down unridable bits of alp, chucked it onto to trains in france – slung it onto the bike bus and really abused it over seven years – and all I have had to do is change the rear tyre and fasion some replacement pins for the QR.

So okay I am a fan – but if you really are going to abuse a trailer these things can take it.

Dogsby

Andy,

I bought a single wheel trailer that looks remarkably like a BoB but it was £65 including postage from Germany. I can give you the details if you like. I have used it to commute and am chuffed to bits with it but yet to use it properly off road yet.

Dogsby

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Got a link Dogsby?

Ambrose

A friend has a Yak copy from Edinburgh Bike CoOp. He regrets not having bought the much pricier Yak- the EBC version is heavier and weaker.

duir
    Free Member

I have this one http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/comms/srv.a4d?f_pg=site_sizing/revolution-cargo-trailer.htm

It’s basicaly a BOB rip off but with square instead of round tubes. Haven’t really used it much so can’t comment on durability but as far as I can see it’s almost identical to the BOB and comes with a free waterproof bag and was about £125 a couple of years ago.

Ambrose

It was the QR dropouts that failed on my friends EBC revo trailer. They were not strong enough for the kit being carried. A winter bothy trip load of gear, inc. axe and coal (1/2 sack).

Ed2001
    Free Member

coastkid
    Free Member

Yak BOB is a 4130 cro mo frame so lighter than the steel EBC trailer…
    Why not get someone stateside to buy a IBEX BOB and post it?.
    I looked into this for Fatbike stuff and some online buddies were happy to help out…now the recession and im skint!
    I have a BOB YAK and its ace if under used

Dogsby

Heather,

If you go to German ebay and put in ‘Fahrradanhänger Lastenanhänger’ it will bring up a whole load of bike trailers. Ther Germans use them far more than we seem to. I had a quick look and couldn’t see one that posted to the UK but they may if you ask. There is a company in Southampton that do them also; put ‘NEW CARGO Bicycle Bike Trailer Single Wheel SILVER’ into ebay and it should pop up. They are a bit more expensive but are the same thing. Hope this helps

Dogsby

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a New BOB IBEX Trailer?’ is closed to new replies.