Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Looking for a GPS – Guidance & Recommendations
  • jamj1974

Hi, I am looking for a GPS – but I am not sure what I am looking at really. I know the type of features I definitely want, but not much more. I do know that I don’t just want to use a smartphone.
    – Robust bar mount and at least water-resistant
    – Good display that is readable in sunlight and shade
    – Measure altitude as well as distance
    – Record ride and upload to PC/tablet with waypoints
    – Upload routes with waypoints and navigate using them – I imagine using things like Strava etc to find the routes online…?

What I am not sure of: –
    – Do I need maps on the device? I can navigate simple routes using a map and a compass
    – Are there any other key features

Apologies for my lack of knowledge and thanks in advance.

cinnamon_girl

My experience is limited to Garmin, on my 3rd one in nearly 20 years. Currently using an Etrex 30 which has the most insecure mount ever, in fact I asked on here and plenty weren’t happy with it either. It needs to be used with some sort of lanyard tied around the handlebar.

Can’t help thinking that my current one has far too many features that are of no use to me, end up scrolling forever to find a simple function. I do wish though that the screen size was bigger and the display clearer. Still don’t always get a signal under tree cover. Doesn’t record altitude though.

Plot routes on Tracklogs mapping software and export to the gps although sometimes I just use it for showing direction of travel. It does have maps but always carry a printed Explorer route.

They’ve become incredibly expensive, it’s a worry that some can easily detach from the mount and it’s also easy to crack the screen.

Do plenty of research!

EDIT: it’s been upgraded and now includes an enhanced screen plus altimeter.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/518048#overview

jamj1974

Thanks CG. I love Neil Young as well!

cinnamon_girl

8)

jamj1974

Bumped for further recommendations…

daern
    Free Member

Few comments from me:

I value robustness and waterproofness, so I’ve never used my phone on my bar. I used to use Strava with it in my pocket (mostly to track distance and routes rather than performance) but got annoyed with having to get my phone out when following an unfamiliar route.

For me, there are a few huge benefits of having data available on the handlebar, which are:

1. Following predefined courses on the map – this is my number 1 use case, as when not doing this, I could probably manage with the thing in my pocket, but when I am following a new route it’s absolutely invaluable. I use TalkyToaster’s maps so I can get nice, clear contours on the map, which are invaluable when planning where to ride next, or managing energy reserves on a longer ride
    2. When following a longer route, I’ll also watch the elevation profile. I find it very useful to know how much hill I’ve got left, and how close to the top of the next climb I am.
    3. I ride a lot with my kids, so knowing how much further you have to go is really useful. It’s amazing how much a “you’re 3/4 of the way up now so PUSH!” will bring out the best in them 🙂
    4. Waterproof and rugged in a way that a phone can never be, especially for me where I tend to use larger phones these days, which would be destroyed on the first descent if fastened to the bar. Note: I did lose my Garmin off the bar when I accidentally (and without noticing) knocked it off the bar during the first few weeks of ownership. Fortunately, I found it again and also discovered the retaining strap which was unused in the box and is now carefully wrapped around the handlebar on every ride. I’ve not lost it since 🙂
    5. Long battery life – I only really need to think about battery on an all-day ride, and for these I just carry around a small USB powerbank and stick a bit in at a lunch / cafe stop, so it’s never been an issue.
    6. Route logging, especially altitude, appears much more accurate than with my phone.

Personally, I do most of my ride planning on bikehike and it suits me very well, but there are a few newer tools appearing now (plotaroute.com looks quite nice), but bikehike is simple and suits me.

(Disclaimer: I’ve used a Garmin Edge 1000 for a few years now)

johnnystorm

Fed up with Garmin so have jumped ship to Wahoo and their Elemnt.

Routes drawn on the ridewithgps webpage will appear syncd on it

The set up is all done through your phone not a fiddly set of menus

The lcd screen contrast whips a garmin colour screen

Comes with maps of the whole world installed (bar china and russia because of size and it’ll download them if it detects thats where you are)

Syncs your rides automatically over BT and wifi

Does all the things you want, so long as you arent expecting os map detail.

Battery life is great as it’s not colour and you can charge it as you go via usb, unlike garmin it doesn’t switch itself off once fully charged.

jamj1974

Thanks for the help so far guys! Any more input that people have…?

lustyd
    Free Member

look at DCRainmaker for more info than you’ll ever need on all of the mainstream units.

You may also want to look at GPSRumors to see whether replacement is imminent on the model you’re looking at. This can be a good indicator of what a “good price” is as older models get discounted just before replacement which looks like a bargain until you realise you have an old unit 🙂

Personally I like to have a map so use the Edge 810. I find that sometimes there really isn’t a substitute for seeing where I am relative to where I want to be. That said, I almost never use the map so a really low end Garmin would also suffice for most requirements. The Wahoo units are getting extremely good reviews not just for features but also for support, stability and updates. Polar also have a bike computer which is pretty good.

PJay
    Free Member

If you don’t need the training functions of the Edge range, I’d recommend what I (and Cinnamon Girl) use – an Etrex 30 (now in the guise of the Etrex 30x with a higher res. screen).

It’s highly customisable, waterproof and robust and includes a compass and barometric altimeter. I’ve never had issues with the bar mount except when I’ve failed to fully engage it (so the unit has occasionally been drop but has bounced along the road without harm). I also have it paired up with an ANT thermometer tucked away under the nose of my saddle.

What I really like about the Etrex (which will do turn by turn routing) is the customisable profiles; it’s a general purpose handheld unit that can be used for a whole lot of stuff and is sub £200. Another plus is that the Etrex takes AA batteries (although is bulkier as a result) so there are no worries about non-replaceable internal batteries slowly loosing capacity; battery life is also superb!

There are loads of options though at a range of price points such do look around.

legendof1973
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 820. Have had a few Garmin’s with this my latest. Download GPX files from various sites including Strava (but you need to be a premium member) and it’s guided us round loads of routes including Torridon and the Cairngorms without any issues. No need for an OS map on the device, just use the one that comes with it. Battery lasts well and although the screen is smaller than the Edge 1000 it’s just as good. I use a K-Edge stem mount which is great and it also comes with an elasticated tie which I put round my stem so if it falls off the mount, which has never happened, it will not get lost.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a GPS – Guidance & Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.