Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Looking for a decent trail suitable for 6 year old, in Yorks / Notts
  • gavcee76
    Free Member

Well, I have just about finished a revamp build for my daughter on a 2007 Kona Shred. Just waiting to get the BB installed and the gears hooked up, but we should be ready for its 1st outing.

Its taken us a little while to get the bike ready, but its been great for a Dad and Daughter project 😀

Before

11755123_864461576959454_2988002409611347616_n

Almost After

11751871_864722516933360_7837276457571060684_n

My daughter is pretty green to trail riding, she has been riding a local nature reserve with me recently and probably managed about 8-10 miles with a break, so I am looking for some places to take her on her new bike.

We live near Leeds / Sheff, but I suppose as long as we are within an hour of home we would be happy to travel for a decent place.

Any help would be much appreciated…

Pook

Sherwood Pines. Good stuff there for kids other than biking too.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8z4lt8

Half an hour from Sheffield and you pass the Major Oak on the way from some Robin Hood related fun

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sherwood pines as above. Pretty flat so ideal. My lad went round the red at 7 years old. However there’s also the normal forest trails (blue I think) plus ice creams and the usual playgrounds etc

MoreCashThanDash

Hicks Lodge, just off the A42/M42.

Has a green, which is very green, and a blue that is fairly green as well, but not much climbing, lots of twists, berms and bumps in 4 miles. Great introduction to man made trails at that age.

And a decent Cafe for ice cream afterwards, for kids of all ages.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Lady canning’s plantation

dawson

Clumber park, near Worksop, Notts. Is a National Trust place, has a cycle route, playground and cafe

PMK2060

Derwent reservoirs. Good scenery and places to stop and have a picnic.

martinhutch

Timble/Swinsty Reservoirs between Harrogate and Otley. Toilets, Ice Cream Van, Easy trail with some singletrack, slightly harder but still easy ‘red’ descent trail, option to go around the reservoir for a longer ride, or over to Stainburn if she’s riding the legs off you.*

*The Stainburn bit is a joke. Don’t take her to Stainburn.

funkrodent

The Monsal trail in Derbyshire is meant to be ace. Not mountain biking as such, but a great ride for kids. Mates of mine were there on Saturday with a 6yr old and a 4 yr old and said it was great. Flat (it’s an old railway line), tunnels and gorges to keep the kids interested and kicks off in Bakewell which is beautiful and great for kids with river etc.

http://www.peakdistrictcycleways.co.uk/cycle-route.php?route=mont1

scuttler

Second Derwent/Howden dams. And if you’re uncertain on distance (ISTR around 12-13 miles via Slippery Stones you can park at the caff and do a U shape where you swing by for a pit stop.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As above, Sherwood Pines is good.

Raleigh have also just finished this, a little park which looks ideal for introducing trail skills and is obviously very short so when she gets tired it’s not a horrible 3 mile slog back to the car.

gavcee76
    Free Member

Guys just want to say thanks, she is already getting bored of a lot of the easy places local to us, the rides I know round our locality, are testing at best and there are lots of roads to contend with. So much appreciated.

Some great ideas here sure we will have fun

😀

jeff

Thanks from us too – got a week in the peak district coming up and these tips are great

stupot
    Free Member

Sherwood pine’s for me too. Kids love the easy trails (including the red). The play parks are also really good

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Martinhutch – which reservoir can you ride round?

OP – if you live near Leeds and are considering Sherwood, then I assume you are thinking of Gisburn too?

martinhutch

Thought you could ride round Fewston…it’s possible I’m nothing but a vicious countryside wrecker though. 😳

gavcee76
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc – Gisburn is great, but wrong side of Leeds really, my daughter lives with her mum at Hebden Bridge but we are looking for stuff really along the M1 / Al corridor or off it. Makes life a bit easier just to load the car up and get out on the bikes. Plus its a bit too near to Barlick, the locals might get startled by the horseless carriage and stop throwing stones at the moon 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a decent trail suitable for 6 year old, in Yorks / Notts’ is closed to new replies.