• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Looking for a 29er XC HT – Giant V's KTM V's Boardman
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon I fancy a new 29’er XC HT, for local trail duties and a bit of racing again.

My max budget is £1400 and I’ve come across these three, I’d like a carbon frame – but is it worth it at this price point?

I already have an Anthem 29’er so I know the Giant geo is bang on. The Boardman is significantly cheaper and the KTM looks rather fetching.

Giant XTC Comp 2 Carbon frame, light (c 11.5kg), with mainly Deore and some reasonable wheels & decent fork.

KTM Aera Comp Carbon frame, light (11.15kg), again mainly Deore, ok wheels and the same fork

Boardman 29’er Pro Alloy frame, heavier (12.1kg) mainly Doore again, ok wheels, better fork, crap crankset

gazhurst
    Free Member

Would you be interested in a used build?

I have just gone 27.5 and now have 2 KTM 29ers sat surplus. Both size 17″

KTM Myroon Comp Carbon frame hardtail or KTM Race Action Alloy frame hardtail.

I also have a variety of components in great condition that would build up a great bike

Gaz

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gaz,

Thanks for the offer, but not really to be honest.

NormalMan
    firestarter
    Free Member

On-one lurcher ?

soma_rich
    Free Member

When did Recons come on £1K+ bikes?? I thought you would be getting Reba at that price!

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Luther is all SRAM & I don’t like SRAM MTB gearing if I’m honest.

Recons, probably since things like Rebas started costing £500 odd

firestarter
    Free Member

Mines full shimano but I bought it in bits 🙂

Bolt
    BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the others but I have a 2013 XTC and like it. Climbs really well and is fun through the singletrack and seems to handle as well as the 26″ Stumpjumper HT it replaced.

The only niggle is that I run the seatpost a touch higher so getting right over the back wheel on steep technical descents isn’t as simple as it was on the Stumpy.

GJP
    Free Member

Have you considered a Trek Superfly. A large range, price for most budgets over £1k. I have the 6, an alloy frame, but a wonderful compliant ride. I am loving mine.

neil853
    Free Member

Have to say for me it’d be the ktm, but then that’s just down to looks i think its a good looking bike.

LMT
    Free Member

If you can get past the no uk customer support, and the fact its a direct method of delivery, how about a Canyon? Ive got the Grand Canyon 6.9 amazing spec for the money and I can confirm its amazing on the trails, not missed a beat since I got it 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a 29er XC HT – Giant V's KTM V's Boardman’ is closed to new replies.