• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by daern.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Looking for a 29 x 2.4 – 2.6 tyre – limited choices!
  • theboyneeds
    Free Member

Just building up a monster cross bike packing machine for a few longer trips and as it’s rigid I’m looking for a bit of air suspension. The forks will take 2.6 and the rear probably 2.4 max. So tough, tubless xc type tyres around that size would be perfect.

I seem to have pretty limited choices. Either they’re too heavy and downhilly (Maxxis Minion) or they’re too unavailable (Kenda Saber). So I’m left with a couple of choices:

Nobby Nic (2.6 and 2.35)
    Conti X Kings (2.4)

I like the NN’s but the tread looks a little heavy. So I thought maybe a pair of 2.4 Contis but I’ve read some reviews of the Contis that say the 2.4’s come up more like 2.2.

I’m wondering is there is a tyre out there that always comes up large and I could settle for a 2.3…?

tomhoward

Maxxis ardent 29×2.4

/thread

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Had ruled out the Ardents as they’re not xc enough. Gonna be dragging them over 60-70 miles in a day.

tomhoward

I’ve done 50 mile off road sportives with one on the front and an ardent race (2.2) on the back and was fine.

My (not) fat (anymore) xc hardtail shall be shod with them, once the wheels are built, feel it’s the best compromise. I’m hoping it’ll be ready in time to do a 120miler in a couple of weeks

More than that I think you’re asking for the moon on a stick, as the pro xc boys don’t really go in for wide/plus tyres so no real incentive to make em

Basil

Using Bontrager XR3 Team in 2.4 here. £30 and instant tubeless

Northwind

Ardent is faster than the Nobby Nic, it’d be more suitable I think. The X-King is faster but the 2.4 comes up exactly 2.2, because conti are dicks

onewheelgood

The Nics are pretty fast – my Jeffsy came with Onza Ibex 2.4s, which felt like I was dragging an anvil behind the bike. The 2.35 Nics I replaced them with have been much more free rolling, and adequately grippy.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

tomhoward – thanks. They sound good. I was put off by the decsription on the Maxxis website. I might give them a go.

Northwind –

because conti are dicks

😆

Basil – I like the look of the xr3 but it appears to be in the ‘unavailable’ category, for the 29 x 2.4 at least. EDIT – found some on the Trek UK website!

karlsbug
    Free Member

2.4 Mountain Kings are on offer at Merlin at the moment for £17.99, just picked one up in Puregrip compound to try. I must say it’s better than I expected, much much smaller than a 2.4 Trail King and more like a 2.2 but grippy and quite fast rolling with a decent amount of squish.

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Rim internal width?

BadlyWiredDog

Schwalbe does a 29″, 2.35 Rock Razor that would make a brilliant, fast-rollng, high volume rear I reckon. Stick a 2.4 Ardent up front and you’re good to go.

scotroutes

I use 3″ Nobby Nics for bikepacking and find them OK but I’d say an Ardent of any sort would be faster rolling.

landslide

I quite liked my Ardents, right up until the point I wanted to go around a corner.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ardent on the rear would be fine, 2.6 NN on the front? I have the 2.6 NN on the rear at the moment, much grip!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Ive only had experience of the rampage 29er recently and the smoke/ dart 26″ combo in the early 1990’s, but this should be bombproof…

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Panaracer-Fire-Sport-29er-MTB-Tyre_85828.htm?sku=287322&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CPj1u87t79QCFU4W0wodMzsCVg

daern
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon 2.35 – fast rolling and light, but if you’re a heavy or harsh rider, you might find that you rip ’em to shreds. That said, I’ve got the 2.2s and I really rate them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a 29 x 2.4 – 2.6 tyre – limited choices!’ is closed to new replies.