Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Looking for a 2 man tent with room to swing a cat
  • DrJ

Last summer I got my missus to go camping for the first time in her life. We went to the Valais area of the Swiss Alps and stopped at small campsites. She really enjoyed it and would like to go again, but … we used my old North Face Bullfrog tent, which while OK, is a bit cramped for 2 adults, especially if it is raining and you're stuck inside.

So I've been looking for something with more room, more headroom, and (what she says) some sort of front "canopy". I like the Hilleberg range, but no canopy. She has seen some Eureka models (never heard of 'em myself).

Anyway, do you guys have some suggestions, or ideas of stuff to look for, or avoid?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Look at 3 man tents, generally anything described as 2 man will be too small for your needs. Tunnel and geodesic designs have more vertical walls than others so feel more spacious.

We nearly bought one of these – Robens Fortress

In the end we went for a tent without a large porch area and got a tarp instead.

There's going to be loads of different options, depending on what sacrifices you want to make, e.g room v weight/stability

We had a huge family style tent for a while, which was great for rainy days, but awful when windy.

skidartist
    Free Member

I use a Northface Roadrunner 22. Reasonable space to two adults inside (I'm 6'6"). Accessed from both sides rather than one end so you don't need to clamber over each other or get yourself turned around to get in and out. Each side has a modest porch too.

I think theres a 3-man version too, although I've found some '3 man' tents to only be 100mm wider than their '2 man' equivalent

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use one of these – although the one we have is a much older version

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Brand/Wild_Country/Tents/Trisar_Green.html

tragically1969
    Free Member

I have had one of these for years, bombproof, spacious, easy to pitch, sleeps 2 in comfort, good money, search over:

http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/equinox-350.html

uplink
    Free Member

Depends how you're travelling
    If you're in a car get something like a 4 man Outwell

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outwell_Trout_Lake_Tunnel_Tent.html

Helios
    Free Member

[mini-hijack] ebygomm: what sort of tarp did you get – and does it perform well in the wind? [/mini-hijack]

ebygomm
    Free Member

We just picked up a cheap one from Decathlon as it's mainly a luxury we use when car camping. As long as it's pegged out well it's ok in the wind, it was reasonably windy this weekend and no problems. I'd probably take it down if I thought it was going to be exceptionally windy.

Linky

In use

Helios
    Free Member

Thanks – have been looking at getting one to extend the front of our tent but anything shaped to cope with wind seems to be really expensive and I was wary of getting a straight edged one in case it just flapped away all night long in the wind…

DrJ

Thanks for the ideas – that Vango one looks like it probably ticks the required boxes. Now to find one to buy …

molgrips
    Free Member

This is brillant – Marmot Aeros 3p. Weighs as much as a 2 man tent but loads of space.

Or, keep your small tent and get one of these – Robens Tarp:

myheadsashed

Go Lite hex 3

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a 2 man tent with room to swing a cat’ is closed to new replies.