Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Looking at doing some xc
  • tommy19
    Free Member

Hi I’m interested in starting to do a bit of xc racing more for my fitness than anything, what sort of money would I need to spend to get a bike that is half sensible for xc? Is a 29er a must etc?
    I’m not looking at winning just want to take part.
    Cheers

jam-bo

I’m not looking at winning just want to take part.

Then ride what you got.

That’s what most of the other “just taking part” riders will be doing.

br
    Free Member

Start with something that works and is well maintained, then go from there.

tommy19
    Free Member

Ok we’ll I’ve convinced the other have that I need another bike so roll with it.

jam-bo

Get a road bike then if you want to be competitive.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Hardtail of some description with decent 100 -120 mm forks from one of the ‘value’ brands such as Canyon, Pinnacle, Decathlon, Carrera, Boardman, On-one for £500 – 800? Or something like a last year’s model Giant Anthem for a bit more?

How much do you want to spend and whar are you already riding?

Get something that you’ll want to ride elsewhere, you don’t need a full on race bike because it won’t make as much difference as having (or working on) a good level of fitness.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve ridden anything from hardtails to 140mm travel full suss before, and its fitness that has made more difference than the bike I’ve been riding. I’d currently ride my 140 travel full suss or full rigid ss 29er without wishing I was on a ‘more suitable’ bike.

tommy19
    Free Member

I ride an orange gyro, but I’ve been looking at hardtails for a little while, I was thinking secondhand but canyon might be worth a look

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve convinced the other have that I need another bike so roll with it.

:mrgreen:

Could you have a word with my missis?

mangatank
    Free Member

Half and have-not… 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Looking at doing some xc’ is closed to new replies.