Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Looking Ahead – The Holy Grail of Trail Skils
  • vonplatz
    Free Member

I know that looking ahead is important and that all the coaches tell you to do it but I find it really hard!!

I can tell when I’m doing it as I don’t have the ‘oh my god oh going really fast and I’m going to crash’ feeling quite so much.

I received some ski classes last week and when the instructor told us to look ahead I thought I’d have it easy due to trying to force myself to do it on the bike. Imagine my disappointment when five minutes later she singled me out for looking at the tips of my skis. As the day progressed I could really notice when I was looking ahead or not but when I started to feel like I was losing control I would stubbornly look hard into the next curve instead of beyond it. I recognise that I do the same on the bike.

Does anyone know any exercises or drills to help get me looking ahead instinctively instead of having to make a conscious effort to do it?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Best bet is ride around for a bit (on basic terrain) looking directly at your front wheel axle~ after a while of doing this, your self discipline to look ahead will improve immensely…

There will be a stage where you have to consciously think about looking ahead, but after a while of nagging yourself with your inner voice, it will become instinctive.

cakefacesmallblock

A few months ago, my girlfriend crashed at a trail centre, she hit her chin on landing and was concerned about not knocking her face about again.
    She invested in a full face helmet, which she now wears almost all the time on her bike.
    Ironically, by her own admission , the crash happened because she was looking at stuff right in front of the wheel.
    Her new headgear, not only gives her a greater sense of protection, but because of the chinpiece, she has no alternative but to look further along the trail.
    Her riding has improved massively and she is convinced it’s because she is focussing further ahead.
    I’m not suggesting that wearing a ff lid is something for all of us, but it could be a useful ‘ training’ aid.

bullroar
    Free Member

Assuming you don’t have easy access to a log skinny or two. Try riding slowly along a kerb between two “features” like the driveways keeping your tyres on the kerb. From where you start look at where you finish and beyond. A long plank about two tyres wide is a also good.

scaredypants

uselesshippy
    Free Member

There’s a video up on the MBR website with Brendan Fairclough giving tips on this at the moment.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I sometimes find that it helps to think ‘chin up’ rather than ‘look ahead’.

Looking ahead can be done with the head downwards and all the ‘looking’ being done with the eyes. In contrast, lifting the chin moves the whole head up and keeps you looking forwards.

It’s all part of a mantra: chin up / heels down / steer with the hips / …

mikey74
    Free Member

IMO it is the single most important skill to learn and will have the biggest affect on your riding than anything else. To be honest, I don’t think there is a quick-fix exercise to make you do it. I find the best way is to teach yourself a mantra (“keep head up”; “look well ahead” etc) and repeat it to yourself whilst riding.

creamegg
    Free Member

Chin up alone doesn’t quite work when your going round a tight switchback!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Looking Ahead – The Holy Grail of Trail Skils’ is closed to new replies.