Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Looking after suspension
  • nuke

Thus turning your forks upside down (even for half an hour) will allow the oil to flow back through the bushes

Agree with you up to to this comment but I can't see how the oil would get passed the upper bushing to the foam rings when upside down. Equally if oil could get passed the upper bushing then, whilst the forks were upright, the oil above the upper bushing would seep down to the lower. 😕

fivespot
    Free Member

nuke…some bushings (I have only worked on a few of my own forks, so can't comment on all makes) have a few very fine vertcal lines in them, I presume for this reason. foam will always absorb a liquid far quicker than discharging it. If you strip your forks, even without turning them upside down first, you will find a certain amount of oil held in the foam rings.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I am not aware that anywhere in the Fox manual that it tells you to store fork upside down, so is this a myth. I think if you clean your bike well after each ride and use bike spray on your bike avoiding disc brakes and keep it well lubed then it should keep your bike in tip top condition, also check your spokes and chain and drive chain for wear and your gears are changing smoothly, it also depend on how mechanically minded or capable you are as to how much cleaning and fettling you do. Which reminds me I must clean my bike after yeserdays ride. 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

I am not aware that anywhere in the Fox manual that it tells you to store fork upside down, so is this a myth

Have a look here & here

fivespot
    Free Member

Nice one uplink. flippinheckler, without trying to preach or blow my own trumpet. I don't base my maintenance on myth, just 30+ years of machanical fettling as a profession and a hobby.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Have a look here & here

Ahhh always nice to dispell a myth Cheers! 8)

Nice one uplink. flippinheckler, without trying to preach or blow my own trumpet. I don't base my maintenance on myth, just 30+ years of machanical fettling as a profession and a hobby.

In that case I would carry on blowing your own trumpet, handy to know these things. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Looking after suspension’ is closed to new replies.