Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Looking after suspension
  • allankelly

Hullo, after years of curmugeonly SS and rigid riding I've got a full sus bike. I've sold out, gone all mainsteam, got old. I've still got the SS collection, obviously.

Anyway, I'm dead paranoid about the fact that the seals on the sus units are pretty exposed to trail muck. What's the recommended solution? I searched a bit and there's pre-ride thick greasy stuff, thinner silicon spray that you leave on, as well as cleaners and you should leave the bike stored upside down….

Then there's (fugly but surely effective) covers from Lizard Skins and the like.

How to look after these things then? They are very expensive!

Cheers, al.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Someone from Mojo told me in no circumstances to use Lizard Skins as they force shite into the seals

4ndyB
    Free Member

Wipe with a damp clean cloth after a ride

Do not use a Lizard Skin, more likely to trap grit & scratch buggery out of them

allankelly

> "Do not use a Lizard Skin…"

Wow, really? I suppose the folding of the membrane might force stuff into the seals, but only if there's stuff there to be forced in. If you remove & rinse the cloth between rides then what's there to be forced in?

Anyway, what about silicon sprays and the like? I worry that suspension units aren't designed for minging UK winters.

al.

GlenMore
    Free Member

allankelly – Member

Wow, really? I suppose the folding of the membrane might force stuff into the seals, but only if there's stuff there to be forced in. If you remove & rinse the cloth between rides then what's there to be forced in?

Exactly. The problem is the lazy buggers that won't do that.

Anyway, what about silicon sprays and the like? I worry that suspension units aren't designed for minging UK winters.

Never used them. How exposed is the shock (i.e. wot bike?)

allankelly

It's not that bad at the back – forward of the seat tube. But at the front, same as all.

al.

grumm
    Free Member

Not had it long but that Fork Juice stuff seems really good to me.

uplink
    Free Member

2 minute job after each ride for me

Wipe down with cloth
    Blast any crap away from around the seals with an air gun
    Wipe a bit of Manitou Prep M* grease on them & cycle the suspension 2 or 3 times

I then just leave it upside down for a while

* I think any lube will do the job – I just happen to have the Manitou stuff kicking around

Konastoner
    Free Member

I never clean the stantions with water, soap or any detergent – Only liquid lube.

Let the crud dry and brush off with a soft paint brush (tape the metal bit that holds the brush hairs to stop stantion scratch). Get some PTFE liquid lube and apply liberally to the stantions (Preferably with the wheel off and rag over brake calipers), make sure there is loads of PTFE Lube around the seals and compress the fork about 2". Any bits of crud from the seal will lift with the lube. Wipe eoff crud and excess and re lube lightly.

Job Done!

I use this method for general cleaning too, any cleaner will strip / wash out lube and cause accelerated wear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Looking after suspension’ is closed to new replies.