Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Looking after cycling shoes
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Just been out for a ride tonight and after all the rain we had i got absolutely filthy.

My sidi shoes are now in a right state. What are peoples general views to making a shoe last longer.

Do i need to polish them or treat them with some protective wax?

ourmaninthenorth

Wash them. With a hose if necessary. Drip dry (nopt near a radiator). Wear until they’re knackered. Replace.

theboatman
    Free Member

as above, except I dry mine by the radiator as they are in daily use.

Ambrose

Mine live in the footwell of my car where the Air Con dries them nicely.

izakimak
    Free Member

i scrub mine lightly with a stiff brush and pack them with newspaper or a nappy and just leave them to dry

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Put them in the washing machine – Gentle cycle (ahem)

nickc

Like your footy boots? Hose down, scrub occasionally, into the airing cupboard overnight, bit of polish for the leather.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

replace when knackered is my plan which turns out to be about once a year or 18monts if I’m feeling poor

woffle
    Free Member

I alternate between two pairs – if they get wet then insoles out, stuffed with newspaper and left next to the radiator, heels in the air. Then weekly both pairs get a clean with toothbrush and fairy liquid followed by leather creme and then a shoe polish and buff. Then, when they’re dry it’s a good spray of Granger’s shoe waterproof treatment.

Seems to work thus far. My shoes get a fair bit of abuse and so far they’ve lasted through a crappy winter without disintegrating…

terrahawk
    Free Member

woffle – you need help mate.

phiiiiil

I just leave them, mud will either dry and fall off or get washed off the next time it rains. Or go out in the snow – my shoes always come back spotless after a proper snowy ride!

I’ve just replaced mine (some basic shimano ones) after nearly 8,000 miles; the cleats were utterly knackered and unremoveable, but other than the insoles being somewhat thin the shoes were fine. Life’s too short to clean shoes… 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

if the inside is wet bring themin the house to dry.

if the inside is dry leave them near the bike for next time. job done. 🙂

stuckinarut
    Free Member

I find this thread confusing…

Wash? ❓ Polish! 😯

Just keep wearing my 5-10s until the mud won’t fall off anymore, or they become too petrified for me to get my feet in. Then a hose off on the occasion the the bike gets washed, stuff with newspaper, leave under radiator. Job done.

sq225917
    Free Member

The only thing more smelly than my bike shoes are my climbing shoes, they have a ziploc bag all of their own…

woffle
    Free Member

woffle – you need help mate.

I do between 30 and 50 miles a day, 5 days a week in my cycling shoes on my commute alone and they REALLY begin to hum and fall apart if not looked after. I went through a pair of specialized boots in about 3 months on the ‘zero maintenance plan’ and can’t afford the same thing to happen to my current Sidis. They’re my contact point between me and the bike so it’s worth spending 30 minutes a week on them trying to stop them falling apart on me.

glenh
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    if the inside is wet bring themin the house to dry.

if the inside is dry leave them near the bike for next time. job done.

wot he said

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Looking after cycling shoes’ is closed to new replies.