• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by sv.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Looking after carbon frames
  • jiff
    Free Member

Ok, so I've been fortunate enough to have been given permission to save my pennies and buy a carbon framed bike.

However, cleaning it at the weekend and a couple of practical questions came to mind about maintaining it. These are:
    – generally I tend to use warm and slightly soapy water, followed by a general rinse to clean my bikes off. Occasionally I'll use Muck Off on the more stubborn stuff – would this be damaging for the frame ?
    – is there anything I can put on the frame to help make it more difficult for mud & crap to stick to it
    – will it matter too much if chain oil, GT80, etc gets on the frame

Ta all,

Jiff

RealMan
    Free Member

Muc off causes carbon to warp terribly and explode, so does exposure to sunlight. And don't even think about riding it if there's a chance water might get on it.

rickon
    Free Member

Right then… your carbon frame will be coated in lacquer, basically think of it as being made of plastic.

Mucoff is fine to use, just wash it off in the prescribed time. If you want to keep dirt and stuff off it cover it in Miracle Shine – it'll look blingtastic, and keep the frame a little bit more protected.

Generally carbon's easy to tke care of, just watch for scratches dents and cracks. If you get a crack, send it back 🙂 doublecheck your warranty too, I've got an E-120, and Whyte were fantastic when the frame cracked due to general use, not abuse.

I'd recommend covering areas that are likely to wear with copter tape, from the biketart shop (google it). it's proper 3M stuff, easy to apply, leaves no marks and is tough as an Irish gypsy.

mattp
    Free Member

i've got a carbon frame and as above treat it like anyhting else that is laquer coated. i wash mine [occasionally] with warm soapy water and a soft brush. spray with mr sheen for a super shine and non stick property.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

My carbon Scott has lasted 10 years of me. Spray it with water, sometimes muc-off. Occasionally spray it with WD40 to get it to drip dry quicker and discourage stuff from sticking to it. I event have a fair few chips and scratches which have never developed further.

Northwind

If your everyday bike maintenance includes hitting it with an axe, you should stop that. Otherwise, pretty much treat it like any other bike.

jiff
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks for replies all.

Will now be able to justify to Mrs Jiff (or at least try….) that my investment in carbon fibre was money well spent ….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate broke two XC frames. He's a steady away XC rider, no jumps, no mad DH stuff, no 'tricks', no more carbon frames for him!

Northwind

So he's gone back to aluminium or steel on the basis that they never ever break?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I have broken a steel frame if that helps justify your decision.

and 2 aluminiums ones

and 1 titanium one

and a bit of a carbon fibre one but you might not want to mention that

zaskar
    Free Member

Baby wipes or car shampoo and sponge.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I once read an interview with Peter Denk (designer of the Ransom) where he said something along the lines of "When a rider breaks an alu or steel frame, he thinks 'maybe I was riding too hard'. When he breaks a carbon one he thinks 'maybe I shouldn't have bought carbon'". Seems pretty spot on to me.

sv

Regular X-Rays to check for internal damage not visible from the un-blemished outside surface?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Looking after carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.