Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Looking after a burn – advice?
  • core

I won’t go in to the full story, but I burned my finger Saturday night on a very hot cast pan/skillet thing.

The skin went white and smooth instantly, blistered, popped, and shed skin of it’s own accord within a few hours. It’s on the inside of my finger, so guess it was rubbing, I was hungry, and then drunk, so cracked on…….

It’s pretty deep, second degree at least I think, an oval shape about an inch long, it’s raw and oozing.

So far all I’ve done is try to keep it clean and dry, with a sterile dressing taped reasonably loosely on to try and and prevent the whole area becoming soggy.

Any further advice?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Going and see a professional?

or give me £10 and I will tell you to cut it off 😀

orangespyderman

Jelonet?

qwerty
    Free Member

Have you taken any rings on that finger off?

lunge

When I worked in kitchens I was always told to cover with clingfilm. It keeps the germs out and keeps it moist which aids with healing. Not sure if, with it being 2 days old, you’re now pas the point that this advice is useful.

core

I don’t wear any rings, could go and see a professional, but can’t really be arsed to if all they are going to do is say put a dressing on it like I have done already.

‘Local’ A&E is 20 miles/40 minutes away and usually a 4hr wait minimum.

Cougar

When I worked in kitchens I was always told to cover with clingfilm. It keeps the germs out and keeps it moist which aids with healing. Not sure if, with it being 2 days old, you’re now pas the point that this advice is useful.

^^ is what I was going to say (apart from the kitchens bit).

I’d be getting a hydrocolloid dressing on that, unless it’s properly deep, in which case I’d see a doctor.

scud
    Free Member

As above, jelonet, see your Practise Nurse at GP, they will provide as sometimes difficult to get from pharmacy. Keeps moist, plus anti-bacterial. Definitely see your doctor though.

Plus once healed, rub that oil that pregnant ladies use on the scar (can’t remember what its called)

I am a self – confessed expert, having managed to iron the back of my hand as a a child and had to have skin grafts, then having got frost-bite working in a chicken/turkey abbatoir for 2 days as a student!!

singletrackmind

I set myself on fire with Nitro model car fuel , which sticks and burns as its like 2 stroke .
    I used Melonin pads after a week or so of covering my face / neck with an open weave gauze . Not alot that can be done with burns , its all about the first hour, then grafts .
    Not that helpful but this is STW

ampthill

From memory burns under the size of 50p piece should heal without kin graft even if full depth. But I think the hand is a critical area so the size might e smaller.

Ideally the wound should be scrubbed clean and then sealed behind a non stick dressing for 7 days.

All based on having a cup of burning petrol poured down my leg in Cameroon, with no immediate access to medical care.

I think that getting it clean without pain relief will be hard so I’d get medical help or at least phone NHS direct (does it still exsist). I’d get help as if this doesn’t heal properly due to infection it might have an effect on function.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Manuka Honey dressings are meant to be very good for burns – some peer reviewed evidence to suggest better than hydrocolloid.

shermer75
    Free Member

Keep it clean, keep it moving (finger joints stiffen up hellishly fast) and do plenty of scar massage once skin has healed closed

shermer75
    Free Member

Any sign of infection straight to doc’s

RustySpanner

Go to the quacks and show the practice nurse.
    Standard advice for anything second degree, bigger than a 50p or hands.

core

I’ve re-dressed it tonight, it looks healthy, no sign of infection that I can see, and it does appear to have started to skin over already, it’s certainly not oozing anywhere near as much. If it looks worse tomorrow I’ll go to docs.

It’s not painful unless pressure is put on it.

theotherjonv

was it on a post sports curry meal?

That’s how I managed to accidentally stick a knuckle to a sizzling king prawn dish. Like you I didn’t notice until a while after either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Looking after a burn – advice?’ is closed to new replies.